Help! Need advice from any Rivera M-100 owners or players? - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-24-2003, 08:03 AM Thread Starter

Help! Need advice from any Rivera M-100 owners or players?

Well I just got a Rivera M-100 through the door in my continual quest for the perfect setup (cough, cough, GAS).

I had it rewired from American to British voltage, got it home last night and plugged it in.

100W amp, running in pentode class at high power, and it has less clean headroom on channel 1 than my Marshall Bluesbreaker does?

I'm confused. 100W of class A tube power should give me all the clean headroom I need. Have I set something wrong. The Marshall 1962TV cabinet I use is 100W rated at 16 ohms, I've set the amp to 16 Ohms too.

I haven't really got to grips with it yet but I wanted some opinions quickly, cause I'm worried.

Anybody got any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-24-2003, 09:49 AM

Weird, if I get the problem right.
Could you be a bit more specific?

So it breaks up too early? You probably have fiddled with the preamp vol settings and everything so that probably isn't the problem.

Did you have a chance to test the amp before the tech job?
How are the tubes, pre and poweramp?

I'd try mailing Rivera direct or talking to the tech that did the wiring thing.
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-24-2003, 10:09 AM Thread Starter

It doesn't particularly break up too early, it breaks up on channel 1, with the master volume on full, at about 5 on the preamp. But the amount of volume you get is not what I would expect, it replaced an Ampeg Lee Jackson VL502 50W head, and that had more clean power than this 100W amp.

Perhaps I am confused and channel 2 is what I should use for clean? As I say, I haven't really had a chance to fiddle with it.

I couldn't/didn't test it when it was at 120V, tubes are good, I have spare 12AX7s which I believe it takes, maybe I should try a set, but the main valves are 6L6s I think, and I don't have more than 2 of them sitting around.

Have mailed Rivera, they should be opening soon.

The guy who had it before seems trustworthy enough and maybe these amps just don't, but knowing the tonal versatility Mr Rivera prides himself on I would be very surprised if it didn't include clean. In fact the blurb says the M-100 was produced off the back of the M-60 "for those requiring more clean power".
post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-24-2003, 10:24 AM

Do you have the ninja boost circuit activated???

That is the boost circuit that is only available for the clean channel and it will cause it to go into Stevie Ray Vaughn mode. There should be a pull knob that activates it on the panel, or you can use the footswitch.

This amp has so many push/pull pots that it isn't even funny, but you should have plenty of headroom and it should be loud as all get out. If it isn't very loud then I think you have a problem with the voltage conversion ... possibly screwed up the input and output transformers, but I'm no EE. If volume isn't the problem, but clean headroom is...then I'd check the ninja boost circuit as I mentioned. You can download the manual online.

I used to own this exact amp, it is a very nice amp with it's own personality...but you have to be willing to invest the time into figuring out how the controls interact with one another. It is not a plug and play operation. I fiddled for months trying to dial it in, once you get there you'll love it. Good luck!!
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-24-2003, 10:40 AM Thread Starter

NOpe its off. But you do say it is for the "clean channel" which contrary to most expectations must be channel 2 in that case, as it is a channel 2 knob. I only got 10 minutes with it last night, I'm going to have more of a fiddle tonight.

All the engineer has done is rewire the connections to the power transformer from parrallel to serial, so if he had mixed transformers up he would have had to work on two - he only worked on one.

Perhaps it is simply that you get more clean volume out of channel 2 - I'll need to look.

I haven;t even seen how much distorted volume you get, so we'll see....
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-24-2003, 11:09 AM

Channel 2 is the CLEAN CHANNEL

Channel 1 is DISTORTION: also the bass and treble knobs are pulls to activate additional gain stages, mid pull is a notch filter for the midrange.
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-24-2003, 11:51 AM Thread Starter

That would explain it!

Just the answer I was looking for - I did read the manual a bit but it wasn't very clear, it said channel 1 was British & channel 2 American, and implied they could both be used for clean.

Thanks Gresh.
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-24-2003, 12:27 PM

No problem. British = Marshall on crack (with all the gain stages activated), American = Fender (a very very very good fender)

Should be about quitting time in Europe...get home and flog that amp.
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-24-2003, 01:29 PM

That explains much!!

Have fun with the amp (I have a R100)!
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-25-2003, 04:31 AM Thread Starter

Yeah I took it up to the practice room and had a go with a JCM800 4x12 cab last night (G12-25s instead of the Greenbacks I usually use). Its a great sounding amp all right, I still wouldn't say channel 2 has as much clean headroom as a 100W amp with a dedicated clean channel but really I don't need/want that anyway!

Much twiddling of knobs and pushme-pullyous to be done....
post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-25-2003, 06:10 AM

I dig the mid notch on chn 2. It's supposed to make the mid control similar to '60s Fenders, so that figures... Have fun twiddling!
post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-27-2003, 11:35 AM

Ah, why didn't I remember this earlier! Power amp tubes.
EL34s have differences, f.ex. the JJ EL34Ls are supposed to have more clean headroom than the ordinary EL34s.

I can't remember what tubes the Blesbreaker has, but if it has 6L6s or 6550s, it would explain the case. EL34s break up a bit earlier.
post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-27-2003, 01:02 PM

That amp should be WAY loud on both channels. Contact Rivera.
post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-27-2003, 03:30 PM Thread Starter

Well there are several problems I notice now. Firstly on settings over 3-4, the reverb tank hums. ???

Also it isn't EL34 loaded - its packing 5881s, whatever the hey they are...

Left my email program on over the weekend so I can't tell if Rivera've mailed me back.

Finally the I-0-II power switch doesn't seem to have any impact on clean sounds, but you notice the power difference on distorted sounds.

My bluesbreaker was EL34s, but the Ampeg was EL34Ls (Groove Tubes) and for all the volume it had, sounded poor.

When you haven't any technical experience in an area, you just get worried at every little thing. I paid a fair price for it, and it seems good (I've only had it 4 days, just recorded with it for the first time and results are great), but you just get worried, don't you...
post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-27-2003, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie
Well there are several problems I notice now. Firstly on settings over 3-4, the reverb tank hums. ???
Preamp tubes is where the problem is. I swapped new JJs in to my amps (all 5), and got hum when I turned reverb over 3. Got it fixed by juggling them around. Now it's cool, although I'm thinking of getting an 12AT7 for the reverb slot. Anyway, it's unforgivable for brand new tubes, although the seller suspected a "dirty socket or a loose wire". I guess the quality of tubes nowadays isn't that grand... But the JJ tone's pretty nice.

Try replacing the V4 preamp tube.

Quote:
Also it isn't EL34 loaded - its packing 5881s, whatever the hey they are...
Ah ha! I think now we're getting somewhere. Here's from Rivera site, from the M/S manual (click on "M-series" and scroll down a bit...):
"If other output tubes are used in place of EL-34s, the power output will vary and timbre change." http://www.rivera.com/rivera.msmanua...ies.amplifiers

I'd get some good EL34s in along with a biasing. Svetlanas should do the trick.

Quote:
My bluesbreaker was EL34s, but the Ampeg was EL34Ls (Groove Tubes) and for all the volume it had, sounded poor.
I have a pack of JJ EL34Ls, but I haven't put them in yet. Funnily enough, the 10-year-old Siemens tubes still sound pretty good to me...

Quote:
When you haven't any technical experience in an area, you just get worried at every little thing. I paid a fair price for it, and it seems good (I've only had it 4 days, just recorded with it for the first time and results are great), but you just get worried, don't you...
Yeah, it's probably just a minor thing... I also start freaking out over every little detail when I buy used gear, it usually passes. But, you gotta follow your instincts, they are fighteningly often right. I'd swap the power tubes just for the funk of it and see what happens.

Tags
groove tubes , lee jackson , power amp , preamp tube , stevie ray , stevie ray vaughn , tube amp , tube amps

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode