Help with ReValver MKIII and USB interface - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-23-2011, 10:40 PM Thread Starter

Help with ReValver MKIII and USB interface

I have been experimenting with the Revalver standalone today on my laptop and I have an idea what I'd like to do but not exactly how to do it.

Essentially, I would like to use ReValver as my home practice amp. I'd like to pass my guitar through an ASIO interface to the ReValver software and then output via ASIO back to through the interface device and finally run it to the effects return on my amp.

I have a Tonelab that has USB interface capability, and supposedly it can send signal to the computer via USB, receive it back via the same USB and output to an amplifier, and it actually works, EXCEPT for the fact that the output on the Tonelab really doesn't like having the USB cable plugged in. Even with the Tonelab turned off, if it is plugged into the computer via USB, there is a loud hum that cannot be tweaked out. It has nothing to do with ReValver. It's as if plugging in the USB interferes somehow with the output from the TL.

Is there something else I can employ as an interface which will work that way? I saw that the M-Audio Fast Track MKII has the guitar in and a headphone jack. Can the headphone jack be run to the effects return on my amp and give me what I'm looking for?

Or is there a better way to do this altogether?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-24-2011, 08:51 AM

Reviews: 18
Re: Help with ReValver MKIII and USB interface

I'm afraid that's going to be a tall order. I have the ability to monitor my GT-Pro via usb and when I connect it to my laptop in conjunction with the Boss Editor software, the same hum noise kicks in allowing me to hear my laptop's cpu, screen saver, etc.

The only possible way to do this might be to buy a low-latency usb card with a good chipset so you can try it and see if the problem continues.

Personally, I think the Revalver software was intended to be used to re-amp your guitar track with one or more of the models in Revalver while inside a DAW, not the other way around (i,e., outputting back to your amp as an effect). Although I could be mistaken, that's how I understand it to work.

Jimmy
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-24-2011, 04:51 PM Thread Starter

I've seen that a lot of people are adopting ReValver as their live rig using such an arrangement so I know it's viable. It seems that a lot of people are using the Line6 Toneport UX2 for the interface, so I'm going to try one of those. A poster on the M-Audio forum said it sounds like a ground loop between my amp and my computer, so I'm going to put my amp on the same power strip as my computer. I'm told that's the easiest way to rule that out.
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-25-2011, 12:42 AM

Reviews: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossfrog View Post
I have been experimenting with the Revalver standalone today on my laptop and I have an idea what I'd like to do but not exactly how to do it.

Essentially, I would like to use ReValver as my home practice amp. I'd like to pass my guitar through an ASIO interface to the ReValver software and then output via ASIO back to through the interface device and finally run it to the effects return on my amp.

I have a Tonelab that has USB interface capability, and supposedly it can send signal to the computer via USB, receive it back via the same USB and output to an amplifier, and it actually works, EXCEPT for the fact that the output on the Tonelab really doesn't like having the USB cable plugged in. Even with the Tonelab turned off, if it is plugged into the computer via USB, there is a loud hum that cannot be tweaked out. It has nothing to do with ReValver. It's as if plugging in the USB interferes somehow with the output from the TL.

Is there something else I can employ as an interface which will work that way? I saw that the M-Audio Fast Track MKII has the guitar in and a headphone jack. Can the headphone jack be run to the effects return on my amp and give me what I'm looking for?

Or is there a better way to do this altogether?
I have what may sound like a really stupid question for you.

Have you tried sitting further away from the monitor?

It worked for me.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-25-2011, 11:11 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickcoumbe View Post
I have what may sound like a really stupid question for you.

Have you tried sitting further away from the monitor?

It worked for me.
Yeah, it wasn't interference. Turns out it was a ground loop. I switch outlets with the amp and the problem was solved.

Tags
interface , revalver , tonelab , usb

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode