Herbert. - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-06-2004, 10:25 PM Thread Starter

Herbert.

Hello guys

I'm wondering if anyone here owns a Diezel Herbert?

I'd like to get your feedback on it and what tube combinations you use.

Thanks

Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-16-2004, 01:51 PM

i'm sure you're probably looking for first hand experience, but the newest guitar player (satriani on the cover) has a review of it...

start saving your pennies...
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-16-2004, 10:17 PM Thread Starter

Herbie

Well I've saved my pennies

And sunday looms closer and Closer!

Anyhow, I bought that issue, Glad to see some high end amps being reviewd!

thanks

Chris
post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-17-2004, 09:33 AM

yeah, there have been a couple of good amp reviews in the mags lately, last month ( i can't remember which magazine it was) there was a good, in depth review of the new genz-benz el diablo...

you might try asking over at www.hugeracksinc.com as they tend to be a bunch of crazy high end gearheads...
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-17-2004, 12:17 PM

Well just cause it's high end stuff, doesn't make it automatically good. I tried one a while back, and was not impressed at all.

Rob
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-17-2004, 01:50 PM

here's a post from over there that sort of dances around the issue...

http://www.hugeracksinc.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=4580
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-20-2004, 04:53 PM Thread Starter

tomorrow...

Tomorrow is almost here and herbert will be here with me.

Robv what was it that unimpressed you?

I was so impressed by it and it's versatility that I sold everything I could just to get one.

different strokes for different folks I guess!

Chris
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-21-2004, 10:26 AM

Well, it just didn't have enough gain for me. The tone was OK. It could get a chunky sound with decent bottom end, but just didn't have the gain I like. The solo tone was just....weak. I guess if you were just into playing chunky rhythms, it might be OK (if you threw an OD pedal in front of it). But for solo work....it didn't cut it.

Especially for the price tag of these thing. All high end amps for that matter. For what they want for these things, they should make you dinner and kiss you good night.

There was a thread a long time ago that I wrote about this amp and a couple others. I'll try to find it.

Rob
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-24-2004, 07:54 PM Thread Starter

Herbert is here!

Well my Herbert and matching cabinet are here!

RobV I don't know what your talking about, I listen to and play in an extreme death metal band, and this genre really pushes the envelope for gain and tightness and bottom end, and this thing is MORE than enough of any of those things for me! This amp SCREAMS!
could you not turn it up? man on 2 this thing sounds like a corpse quizenart!!(but not a crap one! haha)

I just sold a rackmount dual rectifier and I had eq's and all sorts of crap running on that thing and it sounded like complete dung! And solo tone, weak? holy crap! what kind of guitar were you using an epiphone? or a dillion?? holy crap man!

but this thing CRUSHES! and it smokes the Uberschall! wow, not enough gain huh? what has enough for you? I'm interested to know!

Anyhow to each his own!
I will be posting clips of my up coming demo soon!

Chris
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-24-2004, 08:28 PM

About the amplifiers being expensive, I empathize with you, but the next time you get down in the dumps about how expensive these things are, just remember that for a bassoon player, a good, moderately priced instrument will cost him around $10,000-$12,000.
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-24-2004, 09:50 PM Thread Starter

Tell me about it!

And the bottom of the line stuff like Yamaha cost a pretty penny!
so I'm glad I play the guitar hahaha!

Anyhow, after this I will have my rack finished and a new Custom BC Rich V on the way!

Yippeee!

Chris
post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-25-2004, 08:42 AM

OK...I see what the problem is now. It wasn't a Herbert head that I played. It was the Deizel that had the weird slider type of controls rather than regular knobs.

I'm not sure what that amp is called, but believe me....it sucked. AND they wanted like $3000 grand for it!!

So....sorry for the confusion.

Crap.........now I'm curious about the Herbert

Rob
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-25-2004, 02:00 PM

MorbidAngel, what tubes are you using with it?
post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-26-2004, 12:19 AM

I play in a death metal/thrash/shred style band and I know what you mean about having everything tight.

I've had many Mesa's and they aren't up to snuff. The attack is too slow. Might work fine for NuMetal but the rectos don't stay tight enough for me, Way to spongey.

I've been using a VHT pitbull UL for almost 2 years now. I've been real happy with it. It's got gain to spare and it just slays the Recto. The high gain and clean tones were better than any of the mesa's I've tried including the Triaxis.

Still haven't tried a Diezel but I'd like to. Hear good stuff about the Engl's aswell.
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-27-2004, 05:38 PM Thread Starter

Grindfiend

I just had the amp retubed and biased. The amp comes stock with ruby 12ax7's and ruby el34's

I left the 12ax7's alone but I put in 6 SED Svetlana 6l6's.

The amp was tight but had a bit of spnge to it believe it or not. But now it's like a different animal! It's amazing how this amp reacts to changes like this, Peter is truly a genius!

I don't even know how to describe the tone, I can't think of an evil enough adjective to put in front of the amp, and brutal just is getting old!

It just really is really good. Tighter than any amp I've owned more gain than anything I've owned.

The attack is almost like a solid state amp, but it's so damn musical you'd think you were listening to a recording!
and the amp is so 3 dimensional!

why am I typeing I should be playing!!!

Chris

Tags
clean tone , death metal , diezel herbert , dual rectifier , dual recto , mesa mark , solid state amp , tone zone , versatile amp

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Similar Searches

People searched for this, also searched for these:

diezel herbert compare einstein

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode