high end headphones for POD HD - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-05-2011, 07:07 PM Thread Starter

high end headphones for POD HD

Ok, my sony MDR's just broke in half.. blhe

Need to go pick up a good set for my POD HD. was thinking about AKG K 271 MKII , But i'd love any feedback on what sounds good for you pod users.

Tnx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-05-2011, 09:48 PM

Re: high end headphones for POD HD

All headphones distort and color the sound to an extreme amount, thats why I never spend a bunch of money on headphones, $50 is pretty much my limit. I have hod some really nice phones before, but even then they were not an accurate representation of the sound. Now I just buy cheap effective phones that are comfortable on your head. Thats more important than anything as far as I'm concerned.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-05-2011, 10:56 PM

Reviews: 59

+1 to what musikron said. Get something that's comfy and you'll be playing for hours.
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-06-2011, 01:00 AM

I use either a pair of $25 Sennheiser earbuds or my $100 Sennheiser HD555's. The HD555's sounds awesome, but the cheaper ones sound more than good enough. If you're buying something strictly for use with the pod, I would follow the above advice and not spend too much. If you're going to be using them for lots of stuff, I highly recommend the HD555's (especially after doing the 595 mod to them). They're great for music, mixing, tv, xbox (call of duty sounds awesome through them), etc. They're also very comfortable (velour ear pads) even if you wear glasses. I can have them on for 4-5 hours with no problems.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-06-2011, 01:24 AM

Sony MDR-V600 has proven to be a good set..
I've used cheap headphones, and high quality
the MDR-600 allow me wear them for 5-6 hours and not make my ears numb like the cheap garbage with bad freq.

Record a lick with cheap HP's and then all of the sudden your track has too much Bass when listening on a regular stereo without phones.

Quality counts, just my opinion, I've used headphones for recording the past 20 years.. or so..
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-06-2011, 06:04 AM Thread Starter

Well basically I use the headphones with the pod only when i cant plug to my amp.. its just a night practice thing

Mr_Scary , I just broke my set of MDR-600 hehe...:/. you are probably right.. A cheap set will do the job, but im very picky about headphones and sound and i'd still like to put somthing good on my ears. I use it for alot of stuff, music, movies etc .
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-06-2011, 10:25 AM

Reviews: 2

I'm very happy with my Sony MDR I use when playing, they cost around 100$ few years ago
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-06-2011, 03:48 PM

I find the headphone out on my hd500 sounds pretty crap compared to running it thru a power amp
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-06-2011, 06:03 PM

Reviews: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by xXLinkageXx View Post
If you're going to be using them for lots of stuff, I highly recommend the HD555's (especially after doing the 595 mod to them). They're great for music, mixing, tv, xbox (call of duty sounds awesome through them), etc. They're also very comfortable (velour ear pads) even if you wear glasses. I can have them on for 4-5 hours with no problems.
I absolutely second that.
I love my HD555, I can use it for countless hours.
The 595 mod is easy to do and can be found here:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=PvQ8PzBrHXE
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-16-2011, 10:04 PM

I've gotta disagree with the whole distorted thing - there's a reason why people use headphones when it comes to podcasting and when it comes to serious recording, guys.

Now there are cans that produce a flat EQ (which is more of an audiophile/recording needs, or just for people who want the trueness of the track or source), while there are ones that focus on simply, say bass (think Beats by Dre, etc).

I use a pair of Shure SRH440s with 840 pads, and they work excellently. Use them for minor studio work and for causal listening. I would've considered the Audio-Technical ATM-M50s as well. The MDR V6 by Sony is another popular choice but found the high frequencies to be a little harsh :S

Tags
headphones pod

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode