High gain amp with switchable wattage? - Page 3 - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-14-2008, 01:25 AM
Banned

Re: High gain amp with switchable wattage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by David McCarroll View Post
Oh, yeah, the Quad-X had two passable clean channels, a totally unuseable "crunch" channel, and a "lead" channel which my colleagues referred to as "the mosquito", was supplied from the shop with at best a semi-working footswitch which eventually packed in completely, resulting in me running the whole shebang with a vastly complicated thing called a Peavey MIDI Manager and the equally bizarre Event to Real Time Controller (a box of relays) - this thing had to be programmed in hexadecimal language! All this because even though Carvin loudly proclaimed the Quad-X to be "MIDI programmable, it was in fact nothing of the sort (in fact it had NO direct MIDI interface at all - blatant false advertising!). I was forever picking up knobs and switch tips which fell off the front panel at gigs.....

It might be far more modded by far, but that didn't stop it from being a complete piece of junk.

In fact this absolutely horrible bit of work put me off Carvin gear forever, and hence I won't go near anything they do, guitars, amps, speakers, nothing!
wow yewah i hjeard some of them in the later years had issues with the switching and theyoperated great new, but becasue they were all hand wired with like 17 preamp tubes, or whatever, they had issues

but everyone i played on i loved and wouldnt trade it for a messa preamp

i heard the best years were 80-84 of those models
if i could aFFORD ONE I WOULD GET IT, AND HAVE IT TOTTALLY MODDED

but thats just me, and i never had such a bad experience with those units
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-14-2008, 01:26 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty Robb View Post
as ignorant of a statement as it was, i never said **** about messa bc duhh i said it was a 67 bassman black face, and i stromberg and carlsen 1920 signet 22 model.....but you guys can superimpose whatever u want, it seems to be the trend
post #33 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-14-2008, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by losgatosrg350dx View Post
as ignorant of a statement as it was, i never said **** about messa bc duhh i said it was a 67 bassman black face, and i stromberg and carlsen 1920 signet 22 model.....but you guys can superimpose whatever u want, it seems to be the trend
It's Mesa.
post #34 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-14-2008, 08:53 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gudster View Post
It's Mesa.

anyho

about billy cristals play with the yankees..?
post #35 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-15-2008, 01:20 AM

another ruined thread
post #36 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-15-2008, 01:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty Robb View Post

Great Success
post #37 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-15-2008, 02:06 AM

Quote:
yeah they are poweramps only, but the best part is, you can use anything, personaly peo[ple here rant about the messa, but for its preamp, id take a carvin quad x-amp over any messa tube preamp, and the carvins are all switchable, hand wired, not made anymore, but the tone surpasses the messa preamps and are more modded by far!!!

I love the Carvin X amps, but they are not handwired, They are pc board condtructed.
post #38 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-15-2008, 04:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gudster
Quote:
It's Mesa.
post #39 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-15-2008, 12:20 PM

Maybe take a look into the Traynor YCS100H head? It's 100 watts switchable down to 30. Also, the new YCS50H head is 50 watts switchable down to 15. I've tried the 100 (for about 15 minutes) but it wasn't long enough to really try it out. It did sound pretty good though.
post #40 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-16-2008, 02:01 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottB View Post
I love the Carvin X amps, but they are not handwired, They are pc board condtructed.

i dont know abou that
post #41 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-16-2008, 02:18 AM

Quote:
i dont know abou that
i'm pretty sure that makes it the truth.

how do you walk in these things?
post #42 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-16-2008, 10:48 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by markyperfection View Post
i'm pretty sure that makes it the truth.

how do you walk in these things?

im pretty sure becasue ive seen the inside of them, more thanone before, and other than three pcb boards for the tubes to sit on, everything else was eyelet boards and wires everywhere!!!!!

get real marky, u dont really bother me with ur dog face attitude, it just doesnt show much interest of ur charachter...just makes u look low when u step on others toes

but its okay, im sure your a freaking genius
post #43 of 43 (permalink) Old 12-03-2008, 10:55 PM

Nobody has mentioned the Genz Benz Black Pearl switchable between 8, 15 and 30 watts. I'm thinking of getting the 1x12 version but there is a 2x12 available too.

Tags
clean tone , david mccarroll , death metal , foot switch , high gain amp , jsx combo , mark iic , marshall tsl , mesa amps , power amp , power amps , preamp tube , rack power amp , triple rectifier , tube amp , tube preamp , valve king , vox tonelab

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode