High gain amp with switchable wattage? - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-12-2008, 02:28 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: canada
Posts: 48
High gain amp with switchable wattage?

Something like a Mesa Express 5:25 but doesn't break the bank.
ixelion is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-12-2008, 02:50 PM
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Bellevue, WA
Posts: 1,687
Re: High gain amp with switchable wattage?

Egnater Rebel. Not out yet, but when it does come out, I will pick one up.
microdmitry is offline  
post #3 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-12-2008, 03:05 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: canada
Posts: 48
Re: High gain amp with switchable wattage?

Rebel looks cool dunno if it has enough gain, will have to wait and see.

Any other suggestions are appreciated.
ixelion is offline  
post #4 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-12-2008, 03:21 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: ca
Posts: 848
Re: High gain amp with switchable wattage?

if u go on evilauction

search, sometimes it hard to find
peavey

classic series tube rack power amp 60
classic series tube rack power amp 60/60
classic series tube rack power amp 120
classic series tube rack power amp 120/120


these are some of the best cleanest sounding, no hum no nothing amps ever made

the modern day equivelant with some added features are the engl rack amps wich are freaking spectacular

but i couldnt afford it or the the presense or sonic frequency controls that the engls have, but he classic series rack amps peavey made, were strait up, input preamp tube(s) pahse inverter tube, them ur power amps section and tubes, everything was strait forward
and u can do soo much with them, and the function and quality is great

if u want new maybe get a carvin rack amp, the headroom isnt as high as the peavey or the new engl amps but it is a great unit and u can switch the tubes

but i found with most amps sometimes when they have the switchable tube selections it makes it sound slightly hollow, compared to a power amp that is wired just for one type

but i dunno it could just be me

and the peavey rack amps, let me tell you theres no need for a solo button, they got bite beyond


anyone else have amps like those but made by someone else that are awesome??
losgatosrg350dx is offline  
post #5 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-12-2008, 06:04 PM
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Morgan Hill, CA
Posts: 1,813
Re: High gain amp with switchable wattage?

JSX Combo switches from 120 down to 50 watts with a switch.

All of Carvin's amps pretty much have a wattage switch. The MTS and V3 are high gain amps.

Most amps have a wattage switch and if they don't, you can usually take out 2 power tubes to reduce the wattage of the amp. Call a tech before you do this to figure out what tubes you need to take out though.
RSVampire is offline  
post #6 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-12-2008, 06:21 PM
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,525
Re: High gain amp with switchable wattage?

keep in mine that bringing 100 watts to 50 watts does not mean it will be half the volume w/ the tubes roaring...
shogun is offline  
post #7 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-12-2008, 06:25 PM
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Sydney Australia
Posts: 2,049
Re: High gain amp with switchable wattage?

save up for the 5:25 - they are phenomenal sounding amps - mind you even the 5 watt setting is LOUD!!!!!

Went looking at Boogies with a friend who had a wad of cash burning a hole in his pocket - he wanted a Rectifier Combo - didn't like it..... Lonestar, nice, but oddly quite low gain for a Mesa amp, but the Express series just shine with a huge, round, bodacious high gain wallop - totally free of fizz, fuzz or buzz in the tone - so he went home with a 5:25 2x12 combo which just kills - would be very much on my list of amps to get..... um, if i had any room left!
David McCarroll is offline  
post #8 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-12-2008, 07:03 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: ca
Posts: 848
Re: High gain amp with switchable wattage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by David McCarroll View Post
save up for the 5:25 - they are phenomenal sounding amps - mind you even the 5 watt setting is LOUD!!!!!

Went looking at Boogies with a friend who had a wad of cash burning a hole in his pocket - he wanted a Rectifier Combo - didn't like it..... Lonestar, nice, but oddly quite low gain for a Mesa amp, but the Express series just shine with a huge, round, bodacious high gain wallop - totally free of fizz, fuzz or buzz in the tone - so he went home with a 5:25 2x12 combo which just kills - would be very much on my list of amps to get..... um, if i had any room left!
messa are the number one most over played amp brand
sound is unique but when it comes to an amp, they purely suck in parts, assembly, components, and response time
not a very responsive amp, and not really a performer, but it was tone forsure, but you really re limited to the tone the messa produces and u can get some pretty bad buzzing, fizzing, fuzzing etc
losgatosrg350dx is offline  
post #9 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-12-2008, 07:16 PM
Moderator
 
elcid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: chicago
Posts: 9,592
Re: High gain amp with switchable wattage?

Doesnt your dad have 37 vintage Mesas from the 1920s that sound great?
elcid is offline  
post #10 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-12-2008, 07:17 PM
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Sydney Australia
Posts: 2,049
Re: High gain amp with switchable wattage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by losgatosrg350dx View Post
messa are the number one most over played amp brand
sound is unique but when it comes to an amp, they purely suck in parts, assembly, components, and response time
not a very responsive amp, and not really a performer, but it was tone forsure, but you really re limited to the tone the messa produces and u can get some pretty bad buzzing, fizzing, fuzzing etc
..... cool, yeah, I know - I own two of them so I experience all these problems first hand - don't know why I bought them really........
David McCarroll is offline  
post #11 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-12-2008, 07:27 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: canada
Posts: 48
Re: High gain amp with switchable wattage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by losgatosrg350dx View Post
if u go on evilauction

search, sometimes it hard to find
peavey

classic series tube rack power amp 60
classic series tube rack power amp 60/60
classic series tube rack power amp 120
classic series tube rack power amp 120/120


these are some of the best cleanest sounding, no hum no nothing amps ever made

the modern day equivelant with some added features are the engl rack amps wich are freaking spectacular

but i couldnt afford it or the the presense or sonic frequency controls that the engls have, but he classic series rack amps peavey made, were strait up, input preamp tube(s) pahse inverter tube, them ur power amps section and tubes, everything was strait forward
and u can do soo much with them, and the function and quality is great

if u want new maybe get a carvin rack amp, the headroom isnt as high as the peavey or the new engl amps but it is a great unit and u can switch the tubes

but i found with most amps sometimes when they have the switchable tube selections it makes it sound slightly hollow, compared to a power amp that is wired just for one type

but i dunno it could just be me

and the peavey rack amps, let me tell you theres no need for a solo button, they got bite beyond


anyone else have amps like those but made by someone else that are awesome??
Sorry for my ignorance but:

These are power amps and pre amps right? I wont have to buy a separate preamp section?
ixelion is offline  
post #12 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-12-2008, 08:06 PM
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Sydney Australia
Posts: 2,049
Re: High gain amp with switchable wattage?

yes they are power amps - you need a separate pre-amp to get anything other than a giant super clean tone out of them. and to answer the last question on losgatosrg350dx's original post, I have a Mesa 2:90 power amp which delivers humungous clean tone up to ear-bleeding volume, but of course purely sucks in parts, assembly, componenets and response time, and seems to have all this odd buzzing, fizzing and fuzzing going on ........

Apologies for being a bit fascetious (sic), but I actually PLAY through Mesa gear, at home, on gigs and in the studio, so I know what they do and what they sound like on a day to day basis, rather than what is said about them on various forums....

Again, the 5:25 is a fantastic amp - you have already stated that yourself, I really would suggest you keep saving, have a look at second hand ones etc - otherwise you will be settling for a compromise on what you are really looking for.
David McCarroll is offline  
post #13 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-12-2008, 08:09 PM
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Glen Cove, NY
Posts: 234
Re: High gain amp with switchable wattage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by losgatosrg350dx View Post
classic series tube rack power amp 60
classic series tube rack power amp 60/60
classic series tube rack power amp 120
classic series tube rack power amp 120/120
yeah, because somebody looking for a high-gain amp with switchable wattage is going to be able make really good use of a rack-mounted power amp without a pre-amp section.

great advice, dude. is there anybody on jemsite who knows less about what they're talking about than you? i'd love to read that guy's posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elperrorg993xmsatellitedeathstaredition
Quote:
Originally Posted by markyperfection
hey guys, are there any high gain amps that sound really good for under 2 grand?
honsetly br0 your a idiot if you plug into anything other than a unripe lemon

ive tried car batteries
balls of yarn
a 80watt lightbulb sticking out of a ham
and
cans of hard candies and peanut brittle taht i found from my dads

nothing else eevn comes close!
markyperfection is offline  
post #14 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-12-2008, 08:15 PM
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Glen Cove, NY
Posts: 234
Re: High gain amp with switchable wattage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixelion View Post
Something like a Mesa Express 5:25 but doesn't break the bank.
maybe the peavey valve-king? they sound pretty decent, but i'm thinking like with all peavey products you'll have to try a few of them to get one that sounds right and continues to sound that way. tone-wise, the vk is almost the polar opposite of the mesa, but i've actually had a great time playing through them, combos and heads alike.
markyperfection is offline  
post #15 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-12-2008, 08:47 PM
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Scotland
Posts: 446
Re: High gain amp with switchable wattage?

Marshall TSL.
Gudster is offline  
Reply

Tags
clean tone , david mccarroll , death metal , foot switch , high gain amp , jsx combo , mark iic , marshall tsl , mesa amps , power amp , power amps , preamp tube , rack power amp , triple rectifier , tube amp , tube preamp , valve king , vox tonelab

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).



Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Best tube high gain amp at bedroom volumes rlintz Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic 14 01-07-2008 06:55 PM
low wattage hi gain amp? cmd130 Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic 12 03-14-2007 04:39 AM
High Gain Amps - Hmm.... Two hands31 Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic 15 03-28-2002 11:05 PM
loss of gain in dual recto - on red channel one less than none Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic 8 10-17-2001 06:18 AM
Getting good gain out of the Legacy - Good tone, no doubt, b floydJ Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic 25 08-03-2001 06:35 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome