Highest Gain Amp? - Page 3 - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 93 (permalink) Old 07-19-2007, 02:16 PM

Re: Highest Gain Amp?

what about that fender metalhead or whatever it is called
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 93 (permalink) Old 07-19-2007, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.Thep View Post
what about that fender metalhead or whatever it is called
It's terrible. There's a video pf Yngwie playing one at NAMM on YouTube that Fender posted, and it's very, very thin. It also has an obscene amount of wattage.
post #33 of 93 (permalink) Old 07-19-2007, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemaholic View Post
I don't know if anyone else here shares this view, but I still think EVH's tone was superb on the first few albums when he used an old Marshall Plexi, but got progressively thinner and buzzier as he switched to the 5150s.

Interesting. I think Eddie's best tone was on the "Balance" album. Listen to '7th Seal'- cut #1 for an example. Every note is discernable, yet the warm overdriven tones are full and sustained. Then Cut#2 "Can't Stop Lovin You" has that short quiet solo towards the end with the clean background.
Absolutely stunning - and it's not been mimic'd since by anyone.
I know we all know the songs - but go check them out with this stuff in mind and you'll be blown away with what he does. BTW- Cut # 10 happens to be one of my all-time favorite instrumentals -
-jemaholic
i second that. my 2 favorite VH albums are VH1 and balance. great tone on both. aftershock is actually one of my favorite songs...period. to me that album reflects less of eddie trying to top himself as a guitar innovator and more as a songwriter.

as far as high gain amps. the 5150/6505 is a mad gain amp. i used to use them exclusively before i went to line6. so much in fact i had 4 of them. 2 heads and 2 combos. before i let them go, i had retubed one head and one combo with EH tubes and those amps became firebreathers. they sounded great before, but with just swapping the factory tubes to great aftermarkets really opened them up. even the trademark crap clean tone was vastly improved.

rich
post #34 of 93 (permalink) Old 07-19-2007, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holy Katana View Post
It's terrible. There's a video pf Yngwie playing one at NAMM on YouTube that Fender posted, and it's very, very thin. It also has an obscene amount of wattage.
the metalhead is crap...crazy loud crappy tone. great if you just need volume to push a pedalboard.

rich
post #35 of 93 (permalink) Old 07-19-2007, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rty13ibz98 View Post
the metalhead is crap...crazy loud crappy tone. great if you just need volume to push a pedalboard.

rich
And that's what I was saying. Most people don't want a thin tone.
post #36 of 93 (permalink) Old 07-19-2007, 03:53 PM

Quote:
And that's what I was saying. Most people don't want a thin tone.
and that was me agreeing with you.

rich
post #37 of 93 (permalink) Old 07-19-2007, 05:18 PM

Fender Metalhead....sounds oxymoronic
post #38 of 93 (permalink) Old 07-19-2007, 05:27 PM

If you want obscene amounts of gain.. take a 5150 and add a overdrive pedal in the front end. That'll give you an extra stage of gain.
post #39 of 93 (permalink) Old 07-19-2007, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waylay00 View Post
Fender Metalhead....sounds oxymoronic
Yeah, it is, in a way. I guess they were trying to change that, but they screwed up by making it solid-state. I like Fender's cleans, though, and I'm a huge metalhead.
post #40 of 93 (permalink) Old 07-19-2007, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southpaw_lefty View Post
Nigel Tufnel's amps go to "11"

So, I would pick those.
lol i hope your not serious... lol
Mesa Boogies have gain, and marshalls.
I like my Peavey Bandit 112. the best transtube ever, with sound to rival mesas, kranks, marshals, obliteration of fenders and valvekings. Honestly i love this thing. If it didnt wheigh so much i would make it to it at night.
post #41 of 93 (permalink) Old 07-19-2007, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Active 80's View Post
lol i hope your not serious... lol
Mesa Boogies have gain, and marshalls.
I like my Peavey Bandit 112. the best transtube ever, with sound to rival mesas, kranks, marshals, obliteration of fenders and valvekings. Honestly i love this thing. If it didnt wheigh so much i would make it to it at night.
Kranks sound terrible. Comparing your amp to a Krank is not saying much.
post #42 of 93 (permalink) Old 07-19-2007, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Kranks sound terrible. Comparing your amp to a Krank is not saying much.
HAH! i hope ur kidding! if you know how to set it up right, they are easily among the best sounding things at over 120db. honestly!
oh and dont be an anal monkey! i gave a list of amps. Best transtube ever, and in the pricerange if i find somthing better i will eat my pubes. No amp with really good pedal **** though. and this thing with a line six pod er whatever pedal sounds (to the untrained ear) like a real triaxis. im not braggin im informing! (i found this amp from a friend who wouldnt stop talking about it, he and his brother have their own, he thinks its great even though he has a line six vetta)
oh and i have played a krank extra loud b4, it was in another room though lol.

Last edited by Active 80's; 07-19-2007 at 08:46 PM.
post #43 of 93 (permalink) Old 07-19-2007, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Active 80's View Post
HAH! i hope ur kidding! if you know how to set it up right, they are easily among the best sounding things at over 120db. honestly!
oh and dont be an anal monkey! i gave a list of amps. Best transtube ever, and in the pricerange if i find somthing better i will eat my pubes. No amp with really good pedal **** though. and this thing with a line six pod er whatever pedal sounds (to the untrained ear) like a real triaxis. im not braggin im informing! (i found this amp from a friend who wouldnt stop talking about it, he and his brother have their own, he thinks its great even though he has a line six vetta)
oh and i have played a krank extra loud b4, it was in another room though lol.
No, Kranks are awful. They sound like MGs, yet they're all-tube. I honestly have NO idea why Dime endorsed such a terrible product.
post #44 of 93 (permalink) Old 07-19-2007, 09:58 PM

When did this thread become an episode of South Park?

post #45 of 93 (permalink) Old 07-19-2007, 10:10 PM

A guitar with EMGs into an Ubermetal into a 5150

Metal up your ass, baby

Tags
amp distortion , amp tone , angus young , bogner uberschall , boogie triaxis , boost pedal , clean tone , david mccarroll , gain knob , guitar shop , high gain amp , highest gain amp , ibanez tube screamer , kerry king , les paul , mesa boogie , mesa boogie triaxis , mesa cab , mesa mark , mesa mark iii , morbid angel , nigel tufnel , overdrive pedal , peavey bandit , peavey valve king , power amp , practice amp , robben ford , scalloped neck , solid state amp , solid state amps , solid state head , stomp box , triple recto , tube amp , tube amps , tube head , valve king , volume pedal

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode