That Holdsworth/Thordendal Lead Tone - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-24-2001, 03:10 AM Thread Starter

That Holdsworth/Thordendal Lead Tone

I'm running a Rocktron Chameleon in my rack. *I was wondering if any of you rack users knows the secret settings to get that fat lead tone that Allan Holdsworth & Fredrik Thordendal (Meshuggah) uses. *Any help is much appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-24-2001, 11:08 AM

Reviews: 1

As for Holdsworth's tone, I read an article about how he achieves his tone. Mesa boogie amp, medium gain, and 0 bass, 0 High and all mids, thats it... I don't listen to Meshugga so I dunno what they do.

Bamm
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-24-2001, 08:23 PM Thread Starter

The tone is nearly identical for both players since Thordendal is heavily influenced by Holdsworth.
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-25-2001, 12:43 AM

Ok I know Allan holdsworth and Fredrick both used Mesa boogies. Allan uses Yamaha DG amps now, but his tone is about the same as before. Anyways from what I remember reading in a n interview his tips for geting his tone is

makes sure you have enough treble on your amp(I know this sounds strange)

Use only the bridge pickup

turn down the tone knob on your guitar

You need the treble on your amp up to get his tone. I found you can get somewhat close to his tone doing this, but I think alot of his sound is in his technique.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-25-2001, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Quote: from revsharp777 on 3:10 am on Oct. 24, 2001
I'm running a Rocktron Chameleon in my rack. *I was wondering if any of you rack users knows the secret settings to get that fat lead tone that Allan Holdsworth & Fredrik Thordendal (Meshuggah) uses. *Any help is much appreciated.
Do you remember where you read that article?

Allan's tone is one of my most favourite tones and I really want to know how he gets it.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-24-2005, 07:37 AM

Re: That Holdsworth/Thordendal Lead Tone

checkout http://www.tandjent.com/meshforum/
Thereyou may find discussions about fredriks tone. How he uses the pod xt
and so on . Enjoy
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-26-2005, 02:06 AM

I've seen Allan live playing a Yamaha amps.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-26-2005, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemke
I've seen Allan live playing a Yamaha amps.
Basically it's something like that: MXR Micro Amp/TC Line driver --> Yamaha DG80/DG1000 preamp --> TC Electronics EQ --> Compressor --> Yamaha UD-Stomp/Rocktron Intelliflex --> Power Amp --> Extension cabs

So he's not just plugging straight into a Yamaha DG, and it's not easy to get that sound out of just the amp, although it's possible to get close. Allan has also been known to use Marshalls, Boogies, 5150, and THDs with good results, and now he is apparently having a go at Carvin's new V3 amp.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-26-2005, 05:42 PM

Has anybody tried his Carvin pickups by any chance?

Regards

André

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-28-2005, 02:28 PM

I haven't, but the Duncan Holdsworth pups are going for around $125 used now, so if they're anything like the Duncans they must be cool. I was thinking about trying a Duncan version. There's also a shop near me that has an Ibanez Holdsworth sig pickup from the old Ibanez model. It has his sig engraved in the back, and apparently this guy thinks its a "holy grail" or something so he doesn't want to sell. Maybe it's all part of the same greatness. You have to admit, AH always seems to have signature pickups, although the guitars change around a lot. He never jumps on the bandwagon of any popular pickup model, so maybe the pickup is just as important to nailing his sound as the other gear.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-18-2011, 08:23 PM

When Holdsworth was "discovered" by Eddie Van Halen, A.H. did the usual magazine interviews. In them, he stated that he uses the Rocktron "Juice Extractor", which Rocktron NO LONGER makes! Fredrik Thordendal also stated the same, back in the late '90s! They say that THIS is the unit that SPECIFICALLY gets them the tone that you hear on their lead guitar work.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-10-2011, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bammbamm View Post
As for Holdsworth's tone, I read an article about how he achieves his tone. Mesa boogie amp, medium gain, and 0 bass, 0 High and all mids, thats it... I don't listen to Meshugga so I dunno what they do.

Bamm
Yep pretty much crank the mids...play legato, and blam instant fusion tone. Heck you can get a Holdworth tone through a peavy bandit, but..... playing as well as him is a different story!

Tags
allan holdsworth , bridge pickup , extension cab , fredrik thordendal , mesa boogie , power amp , rocktron chameleon

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode