home studio - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-11-2003, 07:31 AM Thread Starter

home studio

This may sound stupid but could someone list ALL the equipment i would
need in average/good cubase equipped studio?
I'd like to record guitars, basses, vocals, keyboards and
maybe some drums. i'd like the list all equipment. From computers
to mics.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-11-2003, 12:35 PM
Contributor

Reviews: 1
It's not that easy. It's also personal taste.

You need to do the research yourself - there are so many options and price ranges that it would take someone all day at this site to answer you.

I think we would be more than happy to help you with specific questions here, but it appears you're not at that stage yet.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-11-2003, 04:42 PM

You need an Apogee Mini-me, and a mac G5, and cubase. 1 sure 57, a Blue Bottle, a matched set of Earthworks TC30k mic's for the drums.
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-13-2003, 02:50 AM

k, I'll bite. You'll need a computer first off. Then you'll need some sort of interface to get sound into your computer. At the very least, this would mean any kind of mixer with an output going to a sound card. better yet would be a real audio interface like an echo layla or something of the like.

you'll need microphones to get the sound source to the interface (and cables of course). which mics depends on what you are recording. if you record vocals, you'll want a good condenser mic, which means you'll need a good mic pre (you should have one anyway)

You'll need good monitors to listen to the sound when you mix it.

and, you'll need a big hard drive and LOTS of ram
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-13-2003, 11:46 AM

the only thing ill add is that it should be a computer whose sole purpose is for recording... not browsing the net or playing games the less is installed on it the better.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-13-2003, 04:33 PM
ns9

Hi! Budget? That will play a HUGE part in what u r asking. What computer do you plan to use? Will you be able to dedicate one for Cubase use?

For doing what you want:

Computer (since Cubase is host based, more power=better)

Cubase SX

Plug-ins

Sound Card (high quality=$$$)

Converters (once again, quality=$$$, big time. )

Pre-amp(s) (getting mic'd sound in; if doing drums, and want max flexability, figure on at least 10 channels; I would do 16 channels, using a single 8 channel and mix and match for the rest)

Mics (couple vocal mics, lookin at about 3k for quality drum mics, and a couple "multi-purpose" mics)

If "mixing in the box," dont need to worry about a mixer, and dont need a mix down deck. Otherwise- more $$, and depends on what you want.

Outboard- once again- staying in the box? Otherwise, depends on wants and needs.

Patchbays.

DVD recorder in computer for back up.

Quality mic stands, shock mount(s), wind screen(s).

Quality cabling.

Furniture to house it all.

"Average to good" is really point of view. To me, average to good would be a budget of at least 50k. Pro would be a min budget of about 500k-600k, and that would be "slumming" it on alot of things. Average to good consumer level:
AMD based computer, dual CPU even better.

RME card, and convertors.

one 8 preamp, and a couple 2 pre units (Great Rivers, Grace, Earthworks, etc; depends on whther you want colored sound, or clean)

For mics: Audix stuff for drums, SM57's, AT4040, TLM103, SE's- there is a wide choice here.

Patchbay(s): dont really need a mixer with all that stuff, just patch in, mix in box, good to go.

Good mic stands pay for themselves when the mics dont come crashing down!!!

Hope thathelps a little Nikki
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-19-2003, 04:12 PM

Well, if we're looking for a budget setup, here's my current one...

1) AMD Athlon 2000XP, 512 MB Ram, 120Gigs HD, 17" Monitor - $700 CDN
2) Pod 1.0 - $300 CDN
3) 2 Shure SM 57's - $200 CDN for both
4) 4 Mic Stands - Bout 175 CDN total
5) Marshall MPX 2001 Large Condenser (in a pack with a small condenser!!!) - $270 CDN
6) M-Audio Delta 44 soundcard - $300 CDN
7) Audio Buddy 2 channel mic preamp $70 CDN

So for around $2000 canadian, I can make a pretty decent recording (please note, I always rent mics when I have to record drums)

I use Logic Audio Platinum, and that's another $1000 but you can use something less than that to do a good job.

It seemed cheaper when I originally typed it because Ive been collecting this stuff for years, and bit by bit you'll see your studio grow. I have made pretty decent recordings with SM57->AudioBuddy->Computer and midi drums. Although I got the most bang for the buck by adding the condensers
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-21-2003, 02:03 AM

I worte this eslsewhere i'm just saying it again
Computer:
2000MHz Cpu with atleast a 333MHz Fsb
512ddr ram or rambus or more (pc2100 or pc3200)
7200rpm 40 gig hard drive or 2 in raid fashion
cdrw at 52x/24x/52x--------------------------------------------------\ just
cd 72x-------------------------------------------------------------------\ one
Dvdrw at 4x/16x/10x/32x (burn dvd/burn cd/burn cdrw/cd read--/ if $
dvd at 16x--------------------------------------------------------------/ 2
firewire 2.0
usb 2.0
operating system: win xp/linux #?/mac 10
network card/modem/both
video card: Geforce4 or Radeon 9000/9200/9800
sound card: Creative Labs Audigy2 Platinum 6.1 (Retail olny) I'm not even going into other companies everybody has their favrorite
This is all within the price range of 1000-3000$ And yes you can buy less but its worth it to save up. This is just a opinion of mine this way if you get anything within the next 2 years you will still be recent. Its like this: by a 555 now or a 7vwh in a few days/months/years? o 2 things this is w/o monitors and moniters (speakers and screen) as these are subject to your taste. Remember a good combination is everything (with regards to cpu,ram yadda yadda)
Also
Quote:
mac G5,
this is why thats not such a great idea:
Because who uses macs? (think more users=higher consumer demand=more products geared to OS=more tech support from microsoft and others) what happens if your in middle of a project and a part in your computer breaks so you go to the store and lo and behold they don't have the part in stock!(I know the store I work in doesn't neither do most computer stores) This is very common with macs but with a windows computer the guy can probably have you up and running in hours since they stock the parts.Also windows computers are faster but if you want a good OS go with linux or lindows (a program that allows you to use windows products with the stability of a regular linux OS) Also as much as I hate microsoft and think they are major a$$ as well as pains in the a$$ still they are the best way to go.
Again
Quote:
AMD based computer, dual CPU even better.
good thinking AMD is the same just cheaper! Better thinking 2 computers networked (cheak out the price tag of daul or even quad cpus' you'll see what I mean but if you got the $ go for it)
Last (this is very long)
Quote:
AMD Athlon 2000XP, 512 MB Ram, 120Gigs
sounds great but that is just the surface. It would be better to cheak how fast your ram is also your HD and your FSB. Massive HD are good but tend to be on the slow side. This is way to long sorry for wasting your time just setting you guys straight.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-21-2003, 08:55 AM

There's nothing about the size of a hard drive that would make them slower. A 120GB drive can be just as fast as an 80. It's all about RPMs and interface. Just make sure it's a 7200RPM drive or better.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-21-2003, 03:03 PM

Quote:
There's nothing about the size of a hard drive that would make them slower. A 120GB drive can be just as fast as an 80. It's all about RPMs and interface. Just make sure it's a 7200RPM drive or better.
Totally hear that but one 120 gig vs 2 60s' in RAID 0 setup the fact is the two 60s' will win out. (same interface & RPM) Also 120s' don't usually have average seek time (AKA accesstime) something you forgot to mention. Also buffers which add to access time. Peace out.

PS. SCSI is faster than both
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-22-2003, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sry777
Quote:
Totally hear that but one 120 gig vs 2 60s' in RAID 0 setup the fact is the two 60s' will win out. (same interface & RPM) Also 120s' don't usually have average seek time (AKA accesstime) something you forgot to mention. Also buffers which add to access time. Peace out.

PS. SCSI is faster than both
A quick look to Newegg shows that most 120gig drives have the same seek times and buffers as smaller drives.

Comparing 2 drives in RAID 0 to a single drive (any drive) is apples to oranges.

SCSI, with any luck, will be dead soon. SATA will replace it.

I also have to disagree highly with the Audigy recommendation. It's a total piece of crap, not worthy for audio recording compared to cards of similar price range like the Mia Midi and Audiophile, both of which have converters of superior quality.
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-22-2003, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polaris20
A quick look to Newegg shows that most 120gig drives have the same seek times and buffers as smaller drives.

Comparing 2 drives in RAID 0 to a single drive (any drive) is apples to oranges.

SCSI, with any luck, will be dead soon. SATA will replace it.

I also have to disagree highly with the Audigy recommendation. It's a total piece of crap, not worthy for audio recording compared to cards of similar price range like the Mia Midi and Audiophile, both of which have converters of superior quality.
Right about apples & oranges. And RAID isn't ALWAYS faster, depending on system, setup, and type & number of files being read/written. But yeah, most of the time it is, and in heavy throughput situation (big files, like audio & video), it can be much faster.

Another agreement on the Audigy. Audio people shouldn't torture themselves with CL products. I love my MIA, and the Audiophile has throngs of satisfied users as well.

SCSI is also not necessarily faster than IDE. It's mostly about rotational speed. A 7200RPM SCSI drive will not beat a 7200RPM IDE one, because the bottleneck is NOT the interface. Having said that, there are 15k RPM SCSI drives, where IDE tops out at 7200 (except for the new 10k SATA). IMO they should release 10k IDE drives too, but nobody seems interested.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-25-2003, 03:37 PM

Im saying that SATA is welcome but wait a little till the prices go down.
Quote:
I also have to disagree highly with the Audigy recommendation
I said that im' just saying one, as many ppl will contest this and I can't go through this since I don't have/had all of them I really can't comment. Also as JESTER700 said for large files (audio, video, databases and such) SCSI wins out. Yes it is rotational speed and I have tried a 7200rpm IDE vs. a 7200rpm SCSI the SCSI was just a tiny drop faster nothing that anybody could tell.
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-26-2003, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sry777
Im saying that SATA is welcome but wait a little till the prices go down.
Quote:
I also have to disagree highly with the Audigy recommendation
I said that im' just saying one, as many ppl will contest this and I can't go through this since I don't have/had all of them I really can't comment. Also as JESTER700 said for large files (audio, video, databases and such) SCSI wins out. Yes it is rotational speed and I have tried a 7200rpm IDE vs. a 7200rpm SCSI the SCSI was just a tiny drop faster nothing that anybody could tell.
A 7200rpm SCSI nowadays would be completely pointless though, with the WD Raptor SATA drive spinning at 10K, and only $135.

As for Jester700's comment about the 10K EIDE; it would be nice, but lets face it: the development on regular EIDE is more or less dead, with all attention being placed on SATA.

My next major rebuild for computers is going to have 2 Raptors (1 OS and apps, 1 audio) and a 160-200gig slower 7200rpm SATA drive for longterm storage.

SATA is just too convenient for me to want to deal with EIDE if I don't have to.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-26-2003, 12:46 PM

I had hopped for a while that EIDE would be dead and SATA might kill it but its all up to the companies if they use it or not. If they use it then that would be the final blow to EIDI (I hope ). Lets not forget the 64-bit chips coming out soon...

Tags
audio delta , audio interface , condenser mic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode