Honeymoon Dilemma - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-06-2009, 09:26 AM Thread Starter

Honeymoon Dilemma

As of 5th Dec I'll be getting hitched to my beloved who puts up with so much of my guitar related obsessiveness.

Obviously as a thankyou for all her patience I want to take a guitar with me to play on our honeymoon.

We are going to the Maldives so it will be a pretty much lie around doing nothing type break for two weeks. Yes I know there are other things that you should generally be doing whilst on honeymoon, let's take that as a given. Rather than take a big pile of books to fill in the gaps between the other stuff, I want to take a guitar and work on my chops.

However I've no experience of taking guitars on planes, so I'm after a bit of advice.

My options as I see it:

Take my acoustic: I have no special attachment to it, it's just a £250 Takamine. The problem with this is that it is too large to take on as carry on so I will have to risk it in the checked in baggage.

Buy a folding travel guitar: This would likely be small enough to carry on, but I've no experience with them. Are they any good?

Buy a really cheap acoustic/electric: One that would not bother me in the slightest if it got smashed to bits by baggage handlers. Guthrie Govan has gone on record saying that 5 mins spent practising on a really bad acoustic with an egg slicer action is worth 2 hrs on a shred machine, so maybe this is an option.

Any advice folks???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-06-2009, 10:34 AM

Reviews: 18
Re: Honeymoon Dilemma

Obviously you have no idea as to what you're about to embark on, so I'll save you an argument and lots of bickering at home......

Don't take a guitar at all and enjoy your honeymoon.

The fact that your soon-to-be wife "puts up with so much of your guitar related obsessiveness", as you put it, should be clue enough for you to be smart enough and enjoy your time together to celebrate your union as opposed to sitting in a corner practicing and doodling on the guitar.

Ask any married friend of yours the same question and, chances are, you'll get a similar answer.

Jimmy
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-06-2009, 10:36 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb4674 View Post
Obviously you have no idea as to what you're about to embark on, so I'll save you an argument and lots of bickering at home......

The fact that your soon-to-be wife "puts up with so much of your guitar related obsessiveness", as you put it, should be clue enough for you to be smart enough and enjoy your time together to celebrate your union as opposed to sitting in a corner practicing and doodling on the guitar.

Ask any married friend of yours the same question and, chances are, you'll get a similar answer.

Jimmy

I get your point, but there will be plenty of time when she's sat reading, so what's the harm in me using this time to play?
post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-06-2009, 11:23 AM

Ditch the guitar, unless your soon-to-be-wife enjoys you playing for her... in which case, get a cheap acoustic.
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-06-2009, 11:25 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by axemanrio View Post
Ditch the guitar, unless your soon-to-be-wife enjoys you playing for her... in which case, get a cheap acoustic.
She most certainly does, and to top that she also thinks guitars make great ornaments.

Win win situation really.
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-06-2009, 11:46 AM

Reviews: 59

I've with JB, don't take a guitar, enjoy your time together. I speak from experience that even a patient wife can have her limits. If she decides to read, go out and take in the sights and sounds of the area on your own. You may never make it back there and you might as well get as much as you can out of it. Take the break and let yourself relax and enjoy the scenery.
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-06-2009, 12:29 PM

Reviews: 1

I'm in agreement with those that say don't take a guitar.

I've learned that sometimes the best thing I can do for my playing (creatively) is to take a break.
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-06-2009, 01:04 PM

Reviews: 2

I'd say take the cheap acoustic, but just don't go overboard practicing. Maybe 10 mins here or there, instead of just watching TV in your room or something, because when you are on a 2 week vacation, doesn't matter what you are doing, there will be time where you have spare time that would be better spent doing something productive. Just make sure you don't end up doing stuff like this:

"Honey, what do want room service to get you?"

"mmm... Mesa boogie mark V... wait, what were you saying? Oh, I'll take the bag of picks... wait a minute dammit!?"
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-06-2009, 01:49 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb4674 View Post

Jimmy
yeah take notice mate.jim nailed it there
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-06-2009, 02:15 PM
Super Moderator

I'd say send the wife on honeymoon and you stay home and use the opportunity to stay home, turn up and practice

Only kidding.

Don't bother taking a guitar, one in three marriages ends in divorce anyway, don't increase your chances. Stock up your iPod and use the opportunity to listen to music and get inspiration. But in all truth, if you're a) in the Maldives and b) on honeymoon and c) are bored to the point you're worried about your chops, there's something VERY wrong.
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-06-2009, 03:14 PM

First off, congrats! Best of luck to you.

If your wife to be knows how "obsessive" you are about guitars, then the lack of one on your honeymoon will make that much more of a statement about your commitment to her.

There will be plenty of time to play later. Make this one all about the two of you. Enjoy your honeymoon.
post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-06-2009, 03:30 PM Thread Starter

Noooo, these ain't the answers I need to hear people!

The Maldives are just desert islands you know, there is nothing else to do other than eat, drink and sleep (I don't like scuba diving).

Btw:
This is where we are going -

http://www.kuredu.com/

post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-06-2009, 05:19 PM
Super Moderator

If you don't like diving or sunbathing, maybe you should have talked about a different honeymoon destination with the future Mrs Sickbean

I'd suggest a good case for your guitar if it's going in the hold.

But I really would suggest that you skip the guitar, maybe take a theory book or two and swat up? Or a couple of rockstar biographies?
post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-06-2009, 05:21 PM
Vendor

It's a honeymoon. Guitar is not what you're there to play with. Take a Kama Sutra and experiment. Stretch first.
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-06-2009, 06:28 PM

Reviews: 120

Definitely don't take the guitar with you!

Do some research on what's available to do where you are staying. Do stuff with her that she would enjoy, if she like scuba diving and you don't maybe still do it with her. It will all win you brownie points when you get back home, and there is gear you want to buy!

Tags
acoustic , holiday , travel guitars

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode