Hooking 2 amps up at once. - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-17-2003, 06:10 PM Thread Starter

Hooking 2 amps up at once.

Say I wanna hook use 2 practice amps that obviously don't have a speaker out or anything. Is there any way to do this besides getting one of those Morley A/B switches, or a similar device. And are those A/B switches that hard to make yourself?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-18-2003, 10:03 AM

I played through two amps at once buy going through the "headphone" outputs.....
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-18-2003, 10:09 AM Thread Starter

That would only give you one ouput though, wouldn't it? Because when you plug the "headphones out" from one into another, you're obviously muting the speaker with the headphone out.
post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-18-2003, 11:47 AM

Just get a Y cable.
You can also get a 2 channel volume pedal and go back and forth between them. Or just a splitter box.
What are you trying to do exactly?? Play through both at the same time or go back and forth between the two?
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-18-2003, 12:27 PM Thread Starter

Play through both at the same time.

I'd actually like something where I can play more than 2. Would it be very hard to build a splitter box? I know an electronics student that may be able to help me build one.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-18-2003, 05:51 PM

Very very easy. You can train your dog to build one. Just go to radio shack, get an empty box, however many 1/4 female jacks, a little wire, solder, and your done.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-18-2003, 10:04 PM Thread Starter

That doesn't tell me much...is there some place on the net I can read about this stuff?
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-18-2003, 10:58 PM

Basically, unless you want switching, all you have to do is wire the one input 1/4-inch jack (from guitar) to the *however many* quarter inch jacks on the other side of the box.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-19-2003, 10:27 AM

Of coarse youll be splitting the signal so each amp will be getting the equivelant of your guitar with the volume turned down significantly. Its something that is done for two amps but should never be done for more then 2.

At that point youd have to find a good buffer/splitter box that converts the guitar signal to a Low Impedance signal that can feed several amps without significant degredation and excesive noise. Theirs a few companies making these things, the most famouse is the Framptone Amp Switcher. That only works for 2 amps though. http://www.framptone.com/
People use two of those units to go to 3 amps though.

The market for multiple output splitter boxes is very small and specialized. Ive seen them but couldnt say who makes some off the top of my head.

Its also VERY common to run into grounding problems when your plugging into more then 1 amp. Its VERY common and requires a phase reversal switch or jumper on the splitter. Otherwise youll get a very loud buzzing on one or both amps.

Its something I do alot when Im recording. My favorite high gain sound right now is a Bogner XTC + Mesa Triaxis. Ive also done Marshall Plexi + Bogner, Plexi + Triaxis, Plexi + AC30, and mixed more then 2 fenders. Youll really like the effect. Try panning one hard left and the other hard right for a real cool effect.

I hope that helped. With 2 amps Id still say use a buffered spliter but a stereo Y cable can still work. Anything more and youll have to look into buffered spliters.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-19-2003, 06:19 PM Thread Starter

Ok...so when you go to the next big 80's hair band concert...with about 20 marshall stacks sittin in the back...how do they wire the guitar up to all of those?
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-19-2003, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEMavenger
Ok...so when you go to the next big 80's hair band concert...with about 20 marshall stacks sittin in the back...how do they wire the guitar up to all of those?

They don't. One cab wet, one cab dry, the rest "dummies". Just for show...
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-19-2003, 07:09 PM Thread Starter

What do you mean "one cab wet, one cab dry"...
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-19-2003, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEMavenger
What do you mean "one cab wet, one cab dry"...
The wet cab has effects on it, the dry cab has no effects.

--B
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-19-2003, 09:24 PM Thread Starter

What is the point of that?
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-20-2003, 12:00 PM

The point of the wet/dry trick is to keep your punchy, dry tone intact through one cabinet and still get your effects through the other.

Tags
amp tone , mesa triaxis , power amp , power amps , practice amp , van halen , volume pedal , whammy pedal

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode