how to attain power tube saturation with a preamp and power amp? - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-06-2010, 08:25 PM Thread Starter

how to attain power tube saturation with a preamp and power amp?

i have a tube preamp with a master volume and a power amp with a level knob.

should i crank the master volume to get power tube distortion or the level knob on my power amp?

-Henry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-06-2010, 08:56 PM

Re: how to attain power tube saturation with a preamp and power amp?

What king of pre-amp & power amp are you running? You should be able to run the preamp with a good hot(almost cliping) signal. Presence should help, are you running a distortion pedal in front? That my help to boost a max. output. There are few different ways , depends what you have to work with. JJ tubes(eurotube) are my fav. for high gain.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-06-2010, 10:13 PM Thread Starter

im using a lee jackson GP-1000 into a peavey 50/50. no pedals in front, but i do have a couple overdrive pedals in my storage lol. whats the best way to get that saturation?
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-06-2010, 11:07 PM

The only way to really get it is to turn it up and make the power tubes work. You could throw an attenuator in there, but I had a THD Hot Plate with my Marshall 1959 SLP and the attenuator did keep the volume down, but it sucked all the life out of the amp and made it sound thin.

Putting a pedal infront of the preamp will just boost the signal going into the amp and make the preamp tubes work harder, it will not give you power amp saturation.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-06-2010, 11:19 PM Thread Starter

which do i turn up though? the master volume or the power amp's volume knob?

or both? idk lol
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-06-2010, 11:27 PM

You want the power amp tubes to work, so turn up the power amp.
The pre amp just handles your tone shaping and boosts the guitar signal a little bit, the majority of your volume is from the pre amp.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-06-2010, 11:47 PM Thread Starter

ah i see, unfortunately it be sooo damn loud

there are 3 volume knobs in all

the Preamp Volume to control how much guitar signal goes into the preamp tubes/aka preamp gain?,

the Preamp Master Volume to control how much signal goes into the power amp/aka saturation?,

the Power Amp Volume to control how much output goes into the speakers/aka loudness?

but i thought if you put more signal into the power tubes, you get saturation (thats the master volume right?)
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-11-2010, 06:12 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by esppse View Post
ah i see, unfortunately it be sooo damn loud

there are 3 volume knobs in all

the Preamp Volume to control how much guitar signal goes into the preamp tubes/aka preamp gain?,

the Preamp Master Volume to control how much signal goes into the power amp/aka saturation?,

the Power Amp Volume to control how much output goes into the speakers/aka loudness?

but i thought if you put more signal into the power tubes, you get saturation (thats the master volume right?)
technically your right but it doesn't sound very good
what you want is clipping (the signal tops are clipped off, making a sine wave into a square wave and also bring the decay signal up to the sustain level making a seamless transition)
and these to things do not occur until each stage is at full power
the best way to imitate this is buy a ts-808 and put your gain on 4-6 and set volume where you want it
it's as close as you'll get
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-12-2010, 09:21 AM

Reviews: 1

You need to Max out your power amp, as 'Cid said, and then play with the rest. by opening up the power amp, you kick the headroom way up. your pre will induce clipping, your master volume will most likely add the kind of noise you don't want where things shouldn't be clipping. It's funny how some forms are desirable, yet between stages, you want more signal integrity. Manticore is totally spot on. Drive the front end of the amp with a TS or BB preamp by Xotic. You'll get a more musical and defined tone.

Tags
preamp power amp

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode