How to connect? - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-29-2005, 02:23 PM Thread Starter

How to connect?

I have just got a load of new gear, but I've no idea how to connect it all up, i.e. in an FX loop/on the floor/whatever. The gear is as follows:

Jem7VWH
Carvin Legacy Head
Legacy angled cab (x2)
Digitech Rack of Wham
Digitech Whammy
Boss DS-1
Ibanez Tubescreamer
Morley Bad Horsie
Morley Little Alligator
T.C. Electronic G Force + floor controller
Eventide DSP-4000
Nady wireless
Furman Power Conditioner

How do I connect it all up etc.? Any help appreciated.

Many thanx,

Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-30-2005, 08:47 AM

Re: How to connect?

What'd you do? Rip off Vai's gear truck?

Well, you've got some redundant gear there. I would suggest not hooking it all up at once, but do some experimenting to see what you like and don't like.

To start, I'd put the head on top of 1 cab, and put the Furman and Nady on top. (Not sure if the Nady is rack-mountable, but both units should be racked if it is.) Nady, head and cab will be connected by 1/4" cable (speaker cable for the cab). The wireless and head power cables will plug into the Furman which will go into the wall.

Then the guitar signal (1/4" cable) will go to the Whammy, Bad Horsie, overdrive pedal then to the input of the Legacy head. I'd put the volume pedal in the Legacy's FX loop.

The Rack of Wham, Eventide and G-Force may be programmable via the G-Force and foot controller, but that's beyond me.

That should get you started, but you're going to have to play with the other stuff. I'm sure there's a learning curve with all three rack units.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-01-2005, 05:04 PM Thread Starter

LOL, I just got a pic of Steve's G3 2003 rig and bought what I saw (not berofre testing it for myself, obviously). It's a really usable, and modifiable, sound, especially for live work, which I do a lot of. Thanx for the help. The Nady is rackmountable, so I'm gonna mount it and keep rack and head off-stage. What I need to know is how to connect up the RoW, Eventide and G-Force, i.e do they go into the head's F/X send, or input? The tech who works in the recording studio at my college is gonna programme the RoW, Eventide and G Force through the floor controller for me, but he wasn't sure how to connect them all up to get the cleanest sound, as he's never done a guitar rig before. Thanx again.
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-01-2005, 05:21 PM

how did u get the rack of wham? i thought it was specially made for vai or something. and why do you need both rack of wham and whammy pedal.... p.s. how much was all that gear?
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-01-2005, 08:26 PM

thats some sweet gear.but anyways,the whammy and rack of wham can go in the effects loop,but it depends on what you want to hear.to me,when the whammy pedal is in the loop,it sounds more clear and the notes seem tighter.but it also gives a bit of a boost when activated.i personally like it through the input.it gives it a kind of raw edgey tone(like The Animal on the Astoria dvd),and because it's right by my tubescreamer.for the G-Force it,again,depends on the sound you want.if you want it for delays and phasers and such,you probably want it in the loop.i don't believe the filter effects will work well in the loop though.hope that helps.good luck!
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-02-2005, 09:16 AM Thread Starter

Cheers knafrzednem. Alex, I got the Rack of Wham off a guitar teacher who operates around where I live, paid 250 for it s/h. No idea how long he had it, but I think they were limited run or something. Anyway, I use it into the Whammy pedal and my tech operates it from off-stage so I don't have to mess about changing the settings, it's done for me. The Eventide, Furman and Nady I got s/h off a session guy I know who was trading up, go the lot for 2500. The Jem is a 2003, got it for 1400 s/h in mint condition. I use a Rocktron All Access foot controller, bought for me so I don't know how much that was. The Legacy, two cabs and footswitch were 1575 altogether. The G-Force was 995, and I got the Whammy pedal, DS-1, Tubescreamer and two Morleys together and got a bargain at 460, so altogether that comes to 7180 without the Rocktron, cos I don't know how much that was. Add to that a Marshall MG100DFX, and Ibanez S470BK with Air Norton and Tone Zone and an Ibanez RG550DY with EVOs and you've got my full rig. I should alos mention I work like a dog to buy all this stuff, and don't have a car, girlfriend or any other extreneous expenses to pay for.

Dave
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-02-2005, 10:03 AM

Jem7VWH-Nady wireless-Morley Little Alligator-Morley Bad Horsie-Boss DS-1-Ibanez Tubescreamer-Digitech Whammy-Carvin Legacy Head-Legacy angled cab (x2)....fx loop...Digitech Rack of Wham(is that with a controller)-T.C. Electronic G Force -Eventide DSP-4000-Furman Power Conditioner(over all rack gear) + foot controller programed to run racks

Thats how I would do it..but i think maybe you should start off simple and work your way up..
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-02-2005, 03:24 PM

Nice gear...

Another one for good measure
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-02-2005, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vai_disciple
Alex, I got the Rack of Wham off a guitar teacher who operates around where I live, paid 250 for it s/h. No idea how long he had it, but I think they were limited run or something.
lol!

Edit: Sorry for the doublepost but a pic of this Rack of Wham you apprently have would be 'interesting'.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-03-2005, 09:40 AM

great deal on everything but...great gear..
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-03-2005, 09:48 AM

This is really a strange question.

Sounds like you bought all the equiment at once instead of piece by piece (which would be more logical).

If done piece by piece you would have tried different orders/positions already.

What guitar shop have you stolen? LOL
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-03-2005, 10:49 AM

It seems strange to be honest as of when i last spoke to this dude about 2 weeks ago on Msn he had non of the gear mentioned in his original post, besides the DS-1, Marshall MG and Ibanez S as far as i know.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-04-2005, 04:25 AM Thread Starter

Yah, but thanx to my dad, mum and family, as well as spending all my savings, I bought the gear mentioned above. Be as sceptical as you want, it really doesn't bother me. I know what I have and haven't got, and yes I did buy it piece by piece, but all around roughly the same time, and didn't try anything except the Jem and Legacy till everything had arrived. I have had the stomps, i.e. Whammy pedal, DS-1, Tubescreamer, two Morleys, for over a year now, which makes your last post redundant Andelusion. Guess you should check your facts first, eh?
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-04-2005, 04:47 AM Thread Starter

Mods, please lock this thread, as I think it's about to descend into a giant slanging match. Thank you.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-04-2005, 07:18 AM

Whatever you say,

Tags
air norton , digitech whammy , furman power conditioner , guitar shop , overdrive pedal , speaker cab , tone zone , volume pedal , whammy pedal

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode