How do I use my line out? - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-22-2005, 09:07 PM Thread Starter

Question How do I use my line out?

Hi everyone, im playing through a Crate BV120 head and its got a "line out" is that what I use to connect directly to my computer? im getting into making original songs and wanted to put my playing in digitally because microphone recordings can only be so clean... first, what kind of cable/adapter do I need to connect to my computer, secondly, which softwares are good to use for this whole process, thanks for the help...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-22-2005, 09:57 PM

Re: How do I use my line out?

well you can't usually send a signal straight to the computer with just the line out, because those are just nomally 1/4" outs. lately i have been interested in the alesis usb mixer, but i think i can get by with a korg pxr4 and garageband. and people usually say you get a crappy signal with just the line out. but with a Carvin MTS, a Weber Mass, and some eq'ing, i got a pretty decent recording. good luck!
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-22-2005, 10:29 PM Thread Starter

so I need an mbox or something in between the guitar and computer? would those sound cards or PCI cards with the 1/4" outs work? those are cheaper...
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-23-2005, 12:35 AM

get a 1/8 to 1/4 adapter
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-23-2005, 01:28 AM

you CAN plug your line-out from your crate into your computer using a 1/4 to 1/8 adapter. it will NOT sound good. Of the two options, using a mic is better....even if it's a crappy computer mic.

Line outs on Amps, unless they're johnson/Pod kinda amps, don't generally sound good.

~K
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-23-2005, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennydoe
you CAN plug your line-out from your crate into your computer using a 1/4 to 1/8 adapter. it will NOT sound good. Of the two options, using a mic is better....even if it's a crappy computer mic.

Line outs on Amps, unless they're johnson/Pod kinda amps, don't generally sound good.

~K
Seconds that. If you have a "modelling" lamp with a line out that either has a speaker sim, or have an external speaker sim box, you can just go directly into the computer sound card or, more optimally, unless you have a good soundcard, into some kind of an audio interface (like the mbox).
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-23-2005, 10:01 AM

you can go line out to direct box to computer.. doesn't sound nearly as bad as just line out to computer. kinda like what you use to go guitar direct into PA. I think they have some kind of cab modeler in it. Like for instance the Mark IV has a Line out and a Record out. The line out sound like gritty crap, but the reocrd out has a built in direct box, which really smooths out the sound and makes it sound more like a mic'd speaker cab.. it's not the same.. but it's a lot better than just a direct line out. try out a direct box and see if you get any better results.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-23-2005, 05:15 PM

I would get a mixer just to lower the volume down a little bit so the recording on the computer does not distort.

I will also suggest a M-Audio Audiophile for $100 (or the Audiophile 192 for another $100) to record on. Handles it much better than your typical Sound Blaster or SB copy.

Tags
audio audiophile , audio interface , speaker cab

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode