How do you leave your guitar - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-15-2003, 04:27 PM Thread Starter

How do you leave your guitar

I was just wondering how do you all leave your guitar, do you leave it on a stand, in a case, plugged or unplugged. I was just wondering because i'm not sure if its bad to leave in the open..... thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-15-2003, 04:33 PM

I tend to leave mine as pictured below in a closed, darkened, climate-controlled room

http://members.aol.com/vaijem777/room.jpg

If this is a method that interests you, there are several other threads regarding hanging guitars. By doing a Forum "Search", you can find the below threads:

http://www.jemsite.com/phpbb/viewtop...uitars+hanging

post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-15-2003, 04:38 PM

After being ever so carefully wiped down, they return to the sanctity of their case to hibernate in solace. Except for my player UV777PBK, which just sits on a stand ready for use at a moment's notice. After a few more purchases, I will have enough to go ahead and start filling spots in my display case for them.
post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-15-2003, 04:40 PM

Mine are stored,against each other and rested against wall/amp/dog/children ... My Les Paul however lives in its case unless i'm playin ... having said all that i only have 1 guitar out at the moment

Rob
post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-15-2003, 05:00 PM

Reviews: 3
I keep most of mine on the wall hanging by the neck/headstock joint. Been doing this for years with no ill effects. My acoustic is on a stand and I keep it away from windows (IE possible source of inconsistant temps). I do what I can to keep them in good shape without going to extremes. The wall thing works well for saving space.
post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-15-2003, 06:12 PM

i used to lean mine up against an amp/chair, but i just bought a five way stand so they all live in there now.
post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-15-2003, 06:44 PM

The one I play most often is on a stand, plugged in and ready to go. The other two are in their cases. Generally, the SBL is on the stand.
post #8 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-16-2003, 03:19 AM

my 'precious' models rest in their cases, the other rest on stands, complaining to me cause i can never get money enough for some new cases...
post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-16-2003, 03:40 AM
Banned

if you leave the guitar out of the case for a while (let's say 2 weeks or more) it is very easy to get dust on the guitar. it is very hard to clean the dust in the trem! if you want your guitar to look nice and clean I suggest you keep it in the case
post #10 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-16-2003, 06:52 AM

mine live in their hard cases, i used to keep em resting against my amp but that guitars finish was totaly ****ed so i didnt really care. That ones sitting in pieices on top of my cupboard at the mo
post #11 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-16-2003, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibanezer
if you leave the guitar out of the case for a while (let's say 2 weeks or more) it is very easy to get dust on the guitar. it is very hard to clean the dust in the trem! if you want your guitar to look nice and clean I suggest you keep it in the case
Ever hear of a space age invention called compressed air? In all the years I've had my toys hanging up, dust has never been an issue. I imagine that it would depend on the airflow of the particular room and whether or not you have forced-air heating, etc. Besides...mine don't sit still long enough to gather any dust.
post #12 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-16-2003, 09:08 AM

Reviews: 1
My players are hanging on the wall (jem90th, jmp100p1, yamaha rgx), for use when I need them.
My really cool Ovation acoustic and my '76 Ibanez doubleneck are in their cases for protection.

On stage I have a 5-way stand, but when I'n NOT present on the stage, all guitars are cased. There are always thieves/drunks/*ssholes/etc. and I don't trust a crowd with my axes.
post #13 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-16-2003, 09:32 AM

mostly in their stands.
post #14 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-16-2003, 12:03 PM Thread Starter

i have just got a new guitar so im very protective of it.... so you dont think that leaving it on a stand, or on a wall stand is bad for it in any way shape and form.....
Also is leaving it plugged in bad for the active p/u's.... or is that bs?
post #15 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-16-2003, 12:41 PM

Reviews: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinite
i have just got a new guitar so im very protective of it.... so you dont think that leaving it on a stand, or on a wall stand is bad for it in any way shape and form.....
Also is leaving it plugged in bad for the active p/u's.... or is that bs?
Active pickups don't have an on/off switch and rely on you making a connection for a complete circuit to turn them on. So while leaving the guitar plugged in may not be bad for the pickups, it will drain your batteries fast. I suppose if the pickups are constantly "on" this could cause excessive heat and potential wear on electronics, but that is just speculation.

If you are really protective of your guitar, keep it cased and in a climate controlled enviroment.

Tags
les paul , yamaha rgx

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode