how do you turn on a tube amp? - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-15-2006, 07:26 AM Thread Starter

how do you turn on a tube amp?

how do you turn on a tube amp correctly?

do you put the standby switch to standby, turn the power to on, wait bout 1min then flick the standby switch to on?

or

do you turn the power switch to on, leave the standby switch on standby for 1min then flick the standby switch on?

i just brought a second hand tube amp and it didnt' come with an manual

i got a mesa boogie f-50

btw how to you turn it off correctly?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-15-2006, 07:30 AM

Re: how do you turn on a tube amp?

http://mesaboogie.com/manuals/user_manuals.htm

tell me how it sounds, i'm getting a F-30 in two weeks.
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-15-2006, 12:13 PM

What my friend does is just turns the amp on in stand by and lets it warm up for a few minutes, then he's ready to go. He's got the Mesa Boogie Stilleto head. Powering off would be the same I presume, just keep it in standby.
post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-15-2006, 12:15 PM

i have a mesa dual rectifier and i do the same..i switch the power on while leavin the other switch in standy..after a few minutes, i flick the standy switch and start rocking out..when im done, i put it back in standy, wait about 30 seconds then power it down
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-15-2006, 01:50 PM

yeah turn on the power keep the amp on stand by at least until the tubes warm up and turn on the standby and play . The same with shutting down , turn on the standby and let the amp stil for a little bit then turn off power .
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-15-2006, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7Plagues View Post
i have a mesa dual rectifier and i do the same..i switch the power on while leavin the other switch in standy..after a few minutes, i flick the standy switch and start rocking out..when im done, i put it back in standy, wait about 30 seconds then power it down
I do the exact same thing. It allows the tubes to warm up.
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-15-2006, 03:25 PM

Wow, all these years, I just turn mine on and then strum the strings impatiently waiting for the noise... Can I damage it??
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-15-2006, 03:37 PM

Your not gonna really damage the amp, but your going to wear out the tubes much faster. Think of it as kinda like starting a cold car without letting the oil circulate first.
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-15-2006, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilk420 View Post
Wow, all these years, I just turn mine on and then strum the strings impatiently waiting for the noise... Can I damage it??
That will shorten the life of the valves (or "tubes" if you live in one of the colonies) but wont damage the amp.
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-15-2006, 04:00 PM

Sandman, It seems like you got your answer, I hope you don't mind me asking a question here since this thread is going and it's a related issue...

My amp has been crapping out on me lately. I am playing and all of a sudden the volume goes way down and it gets really bassy. Like a tenth of the regular volume. Never happened before, just recently been doing every couple days or so for a little while. I thought it was a cord or something but it's nothing I have checked. Could it be the valves? It's a Marshall JCM 50/25 model2550. That's what it says on the face, got it at a pawn shop 3 or 4 years ago.
post #11 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-15-2006, 04:10 PM
Gex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Algiman View Post
That will shorten the life of the valves (or "tubes" if you live in one of the colonies) but wont damage the amp.
This is a Valve:

This is a Tube:

post #12 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-15-2006, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Could it be the valves?
A very likely culprit. Take out each tube and look for black spots on the sides inside the glass. It will cost you a lot less to replace the EL34s and 12ax7's than to have it looked over in a repair center.
post #13 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-15-2006, 04:19 PM

Thanks Rob, never done it, do they just pop out? And back in? Do I need a hammer?
post #14 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-15-2006, 04:36 PM

Startup is the same as above- Start in standby, let warm up for 1min or so, then flick standby to on.

Shutdown - a little different. Don't go into standby before shutting down. Just hit off. This allows the tubes to drain of all their electricity. If you go to Standby before hitting off the tubes remain energized and you will get a big pop sound when you shut down or try to power back up.

That's what I do with my Triple Recto.
post #15 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-15-2006, 04:40 PM
Gex

Quote:
Do I need a hammer?

Oh god no!

Unless you want to get tube shards in your eyes.

Be gentle, grasp them firm enough to pull them (if you squeeze them, they could bust, keep that in mind!) and just pull them out.

Wiggle them gently from side to side to work them free. Be careful, they can sometimes come free suddenly and you can give them a good whack on the topside of the amp cabinet. I'd put my thumb over the top, so if they do come free suddenly, it will hit your thumb, and wont break the tube or make it microphonic (like a shock of that type could possibly do)

When putting them back in, make sure the pegs are lined up correctly before applying any force to them. On the bottom of the tube, they're should be a plastic peg in the middle. This peg should have a jutting edge on it, which prevents the tube from going in incorrectly. Match up this peg with the matching hole on the socket of the amp, and gently wiggle it back into place. Be careful not to bend the metal pegs of the tube.

Tags
dual rectifier , mesa boogie , mesa dual , mesa dual rectifier , triple recto , tube amp

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode