How good will a new sound card be, what to get? - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-11-2005, 12:13 PM Thread Starter

How good will a new sound card be, what to get?

Hey all,

been recently thinking about getting a new soundcard, if it will provide me with a better input.

i know sod all about em, and im using the stock one that came with the pc.

Looking at one of these:

http://cgi.****.co.uk/M-AUDIO-DELTA-...QQcmdZViewItem

Also, can anyone tell me what a balenced input is?

All the best,

Kev
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-11-2005, 12:24 PM

Re: How good will a new sound card be, what to get?

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/Jan0...es/faq0102.asp

the above will describe balanced vs unbalanced, quick answer, balanced will give you twice the signal strength than unbalanced, will have less noise too due to dedicated 'hot' and 'cold' wires

as for soundcard, im still running a hoontech dsp24/96 with the dac external 8input 8 output rackmount interface, its brilliant, its a little older school than newer usb units but i can get 0ms - 1ms latency in all audio apps, which is basically perfect.

be warned that some usb units have high latency
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-13-2005, 10:10 PM

I just replaced a Sound Blaster Audigy Platium, the top of Creative's line (now they have the X-Fi but it's more or less the same) that retails for around $200 with a $100 M-Audio Audiophile, the 24 bit / 96 kHz model and it is a massive improvement.

On all the Creative cards and generics, the highs and lows are muddy and lost. Not on the M-Audio.

They make a $200 196 kHz Audiophile model as well and some other cards. If you don't want to spend a whole lot, get the $100 Audiophile and you will be very suprised if you have some Creative or generic card!
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-28-2005, 06:15 PM

I just ordered a Soundblaster X-fi Platinum (http://soundblaster.com/products/pro...&product=14065) So I'm wondering if anybody has this and what they think of the recording abilities. When I get it I'll tell you if you should get it or not lol.

Also i just got some 5:1 speakers and need to go optical or coax so thats the main reason for upgrading from the audigy 2 value to the X-fi...
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-28-2005, 06:33 PM

Personally, I think that the best thing for recording is an external device that connects to your computer via USB 2.0 because they generally have inputs specifically for guitar, bass, and microphones; PLUS they generally come with decent recording software if you don't already have your own.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-28-2005, 08:23 PM

The Soundblaster X-fi Platinum has a jack-in just for guitar to plug in directly or Guitar-->Amp-->Jack-In And also has midi in and out.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-29-2005, 09:26 AM

I agree on the Audiophile. I have a very similar Echo MIA and it's a great 24.96 card.

Creative cards will do fine for electric guitar, which is a pretty low-fi instrument to begin with. But they aren't the greatest. Maybe this new one is, but since they've claimed that for every card since the Live! and hid behind questionable specs and crappy drivers, I'm skeptical.

If you want to build your rig up to a real pro or semi pro recording level and have the flexibility to record many things at high quality, I'd avoid Creative. Of course, if you want a decent card that also does great with PC games, Creative may be just the thing.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-30-2005, 09:41 PM

Just Got the X-Fi Platnuim installed today...WOW this baby is sweet!!I reccomend it highly.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-31-2005, 12:19 AM

I wouldn't recommend anything Creative Labs to anyone looking for sound quality. They have good compabibility with different operating systems, but that's it. Additionally, their $40 and their $400 cards are the same audio quality with the only difference is the more expensive models offer more hardware acceleration and less latency. They are all very muddy in the lows and the highs are pretty muted.

When I first got this computer, I got a Sound Blaster Live! for $20 and that made funny noises and everything I played on it sounded like a 96kbps MP3 with muddy lows and no highs, so I replaced that with a Sound Blaster Audigy Platinum ($200 or more new) which was exactly the same. I finally settled ona $100 M-Audio Audiophile 2492 which was much better. The lows are loud and clear and it has highs, and the latency is even lower. And I was still using my $40 tag sale receiver and was not using my good pair of speakers at the time either - imagine what it would do with a decent system?
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-31-2005, 10:22 AM

yep, X-Fi Platinum. Not Xi-Fi though.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-31-2005, 11:58 AM

whatever you say guys but I'll post a little demo of me going straight into the card with no amp or anything and you be the judge.

Last edited by Ozzdoc; 12-31-2005 at 12:10 PM.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-31-2005, 12:20 PM

Again, electric guitar is a low-fi instrument. I doubt even the old Live!'s crappy 48/44.1 conversion and noise issues will show up on such a signal.

Acoustic guitar through a good condensor & pre - now that's another thing.

But I'm not talking TERRIBLE sound, even for the Live!. I've never experienced the kind of degradation Red claims even for that card, and I suspect something else might have been going on for him. They're fine for demos, and even (IMO) for some tracks destined for CD (like electric guitars). But not real hi fi stuff.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-04-2006, 03:35 PM

i use the delta 1010lt card... i frikking love it. i am going to get 2 more so i can have 24 audio tracks. it is an extremely versatile card and has very little latency if you have a killer machine. i am using:
amd athlon xp 64 3000+
1 gb dual channel ddr4000
200 gb hard drive
sonar 4 producer edition

i have very little issues with DAW at all. the fidelity of the card is exceptional as well. the a/d/a conversion is way better than anything older. this is an older card, but is highly effective and highly COST effective as well. i don't think you will have any regrets if you end up getting this card.

rich
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-06-2006, 03:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzdoc
whatever you say guys but I'll post a little demo of me going straight into the card with no amp or anything and you be the judge.
Still waiting...
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-06-2006, 05:25 AM

@rty13ibz98: +1.

it is a brilliant card I must say and it pretty much suffices the need for a pro studio setup. My machine config is
Intel 2.8 GHz Dual Core
2.5 GB RAM
160 GB SATA HDD
Nuendo 3, Reason 3, DFH 2, spectrasonics atmosphere.

Tags
acoustic guitar , audio audiophile , electric guitar

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode