How loud is a dual recto? - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-06-2006, 08:41 AM Thread Starter
NNS

How loud is a dual recto?

Okay, once I get enough money I'm thinking of getting a dual rectifier. I only play in my room and do recording. I use a Line6 Flextone III and rarely go above 90 dB (9:00 on the master knob). How loud exactly is a dual rectifier? I want to keep my ears/my family's ears/my walls intact, so I don't want to go too loud.

The other thing is, I played a single recto in store, and, playing quite quietly I found that it was a bit trebly and didn't have much low end, though I was playing the store's Epiphone LP with stock pups, I played the same amp before with my guitar which has Evos in it and it was more bassy. On my Flextone is use a triple recto setting and there is plenty of bass, and the dual on my flextone sounds quite weak, though I can't compare that to a real one entirely. What is the low end like generally speaking on a dual recto?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-06-2006, 08:58 AM

Re: How loud is a dual recto?

erm, a dual recto head, even the 50w one is gonna be loud. pretty damn loud. ott for bedroom use i would say. if you really want a mesa, try one of the smaller combos if you're gonna be in your house alot, these have buckets of tone, but much quieter. i have played through two i think at gigs, and they were great sounding too. one was a mark III combo, the other was an F30 Combo. that's just my two pence.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-06-2006, 09:02 AM Thread Starter
NNS

You mentioned the wattage...my Flextone is 75 watts, though it's solid state, so does that mean that you can't compare it volume wise?
post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-06-2006, 10:12 AM

Well volume and wattage are not fair comparisons. An example is a Matchless 30 watt amp that puts stacks to shame or my little 60 watt peavey 5150 combo that is louder than a 100 watt marshall. There are a great many factors to consider. First tubes are LOUD. Louder than SS. And most volume happens at the cab and speaker. A good cab will be louder than a cheap one. And yes a 50 watt Mesa will be louder than a 75 watt Line6. And a 100 watt will be loud enough to fill a stadium by itself.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-06-2006, 10:20 AM Thread Starter
NNS

Right. But when people say a tube amp is loud, what exactly does that mean? Because they have volume controls obviously...does it mean they sound weak at low volumes?
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-06-2006, 10:32 AM

they definately come into their own at louder levels. that is because a tube power section is 'driven' harder the louder you turn it up. a solid state power section just gets louder. i don't know the phsics or psychoacoustics behind it really, but of a valve and solid state amp of comparable wattage, a valve amp will be percieved as louder. my marshall dsl100 sounds awesome at half way. my laney 50w supergroup valve head sounds brilliant wound all the way up, but it would kill you if you stood near it. its that loud.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-06-2006, 10:50 AM

I know a bloke who bought a recto head and cab for gigs, and when he plays in his room it's completely wasted. He bought a smaller combo for room playing. I've got an ENGL Screamer 50 combo mainly for room, and a few gigs, with more in view. I really recommend you check ENGL out, amazing amps that go pretty cheap second hand, about half shop price. I tried this next to an F50 and F30, and preferred the ENGL. But look at the recto combos, a half stach wold be completely pointless unless you are VERY soundproofed and have amazing neighbours like mine, who encourage me to turn UP!!!!!!!! : )
Legends... so yush. Combos are the way to go!!!!! Anything valve should do you fine and sound great. Actually, I'm selling a JCM 900 combo...... lol
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-06-2006, 04:16 PM Thread Starter
NNS

How about a roadster?
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-06-2006, 04:19 PM

not as loud as a Marshall
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-06-2006, 04:48 PM

Well i use my jcm900 head (50 watts, with a 2x12) at home too, and i can get some pretty decent sounds out of it at bedroom levels...

Still not as good as turned to 10 of course, but pretty good useable sounds...
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-06-2006, 05:18 PM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

A Dual Recifier is too loud to use at home and sound like its supposed to sound. As folks have said its also a LOT about the cabinet and the Recto cabs with their armour plating are very heavy giving a very solid sound. There's a lot of bass available from a Recto half-stack

For recording at home you're probably better off sticking with your line 6 than forking out for a Mesa Rig for bedroom use.

If you want loud though, Soldano SLO100. That's just silly-loud

Pardon?
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-06-2006, 05:26 PM

(how loud is a dual recto?)

-REALY loud
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-06-2006, 05:31 PM

There's a short and simple three word answer to this - PRETTY ****ING LOUD!!!
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-07-2006, 04:05 AM Thread Starter
NNS

Does the same sort of thing apply to a 2x12" Roadster combo? It is 50/100 watts.
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-07-2006, 04:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NNS
Does the same sort of thing apply to a 2x12" Roadster combo? It is 50/100 watts.
It will still be very loud indeed. Rectos need to cranked up to get good sound. For bedroom use your really just better of sticking with the Line 6.

Tags
dual rectifier , dual recto , engl screamer , flextone iii , marshall dsl , practice amp , recto cab , soldano slo , solid state amp , triple recto , tube amp , valve amps

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode