How much amp do I need? - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-30-2011, 03:43 AM Thread Starter

Reviews: 11
How much amp do I need?

Bar scene gigging. First show in 2 weeks, need an amp. Suggestions open, but Im not spending 3000$ on an orange stack I'll use once a month.

Cost effective, enough power, no multi amps or full stacks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-30-2011, 04:05 AM

Re: How much amp do I need?

Depends on how loud your drummer is? If he is a really hard hitter then you will need plenty of power.
My drummer is a very hard hitter and month in month out I gig a "Carvin Legacy" 2 x 12 combo. 100 watt of valve power which you can switch to 50 watt for better break up in a smaller venue.

Heavy amp but very versatile and 2 great sounding channels..
Depends on your style too.. something like a fender blues deluxe is another great little amp..

Hope that helps a little!
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-30-2011, 07:42 AM

Reviews: 120

Blackstar HT series, bang for buck, awesome versatile tones.

I use a HT-5 5 watt valve amp. Two guitars, pretty loud drummer, and bass player. Through a 1x12" semi-closed back cab with a Vintage 30, I turn it just over half way. Sounds awesome. I don't use the clean channel, just roll the guitars volume knob down for cleans.

There's a 1, 5, 20, 40, 60 and 100 watt options.
post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-30-2011, 08:54 AM

A combo is probably the best choice. Which depends on the style music you are playing. Given the forum we are on I will assume you will want something that can cover classic rock, metal and heavier stuff. There are some pretty good reasonably priced options out there. I agree that Blackstar has some good ones....maybe a Marshall Haze or even better a used DSL401. A used DSL401 can be had for about $300, has an all tube signal path, is small and easy to carry, can easily cover rock tones from classic to full out thrash, is 100 watts and can push an extension cab when you want more down the road. You can also sell it and get every penny back when you are ready to trade up which is something you should consider when you make your choice. If I was looking for one that would be my choice. It's a nice little combo that doesn't sound like a little combo and is a budget gigging amp that doesn't sound budget.
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-30-2011, 09:11 AM

LANEY, meets your cost and power requirements perfectly. I've had a GH50L stack, TT100C and VC50.... they all consistently blew away new Marshalls.
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-30-2011, 01:01 PM Thread Starter

Lots of great responses gentlmen! Thank you! Yes, I should have said "No stacks" instead of "no full stacks . Yes combo's are what Im lookin for! I'll go hit up the pawn shops today and see whats goin on haha.
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-30-2011, 01:11 PM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

Bar scene, jangly hipster guitar pop, or Bar scene death metal and tattoos?

I'd basically say you want at least 50Watts and Ideally a 2x12 just to move some more air. The Peavey 5150 2x12 is my stock answer for metal. If you can find a Mesa Nomad 100 2x12 or DC-10 you'll be equally as happy, and those will do great cleans too.

However in a bar, the audience won't be looking for your impression of Eric Johnson's tone, they'll just need to hear the difference between clean sounds and distorted sounds.
jono is online  
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-30-2011, 02:05 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jono View Post
Bar scene, jangly hipster guitar pop, or Bar scene death metal and tattoos?

I'd basically say you want at least 50Watts and Ideally a 2x12 just to move some more air. The Peavey 5150 2x12 is my stock answer for metal. If you can find a Mesa Nomad 100 2x12 or DC-10 you'll be equally as happy, and those will do great cleans too.

However in a bar, the audience won't be looking for your impression of Eric Johnson's tone, they'll just need to hear the difference between clean sounds and distorted sounds.

Thats actually kind of my point. The other guitarist has some cheapo AVT100 marshall or something like that, and it sounds like crap, but damnit it if aint loud haha.

The 5150 would be the ideal amp I think, however, they are rare and far and few between around here

That said theres a peavey valve king for sale, that a good one?

212, 100 tube watt's, etc, dont see the down side really.
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-30-2011, 02:32 PM

Reviews: 3

Can't speak for the combo but I bought a Valveking head and I would recommend it. My JCM2000 started being unreliable and I needed something that wouldn't cut out during the middle of the set and sound decent. Fairly versatile and I think used would be a good buy. I paid $500 new for the head and I don't regret it. I've gotten lots of compliments on the tone, and then usually surprise when they see what amp it was.
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-30-2011, 03:25 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by linuxpenguin View Post
Thats actually kind of my point. The other guitarist has some cheapo AVT100 marshall or something like that, and it sounds like crap, but damnit it if aint loud haha.

The 5150 would be the ideal amp I think, however, they are rare and far and few between around here

That said theres a peavey valve king for sale, that a good one?

212, 100 tube watt's, etc, dont see the down side really.

I had an old buddy who was in a fairly successful LA club band, he did a few international tours, had his music featured on a few TV shows and so on, he always said that in a club, the audience only ever hears the difference between clean and dirty, and quiet and loud.

If they can tell the difference between Matchless and Badcat, they've not been drinking enough

I'm not familiar with the valve king myself unfortunately, but, as you say, 2x12, 100 watts of tube power and a reliable name. What's not to love.

I'd be tempted to hang on for a 5150 as I really like that amp. But... if the gigs coming up it sounds like you have a good Plan B if one doesn't turn up in a few days.
jono is online  
post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-30-2011, 06:58 PM Thread Starter

Line 6 spider III 75w combo for sale on the List, for a darn good price, would that be enough? Ive never done any kind of real giggin before, so Im not sure what to get Trying to stay cheap here, I know its gonna get beat up! lol.
post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-30-2011, 08:49 PM

Line Spiders suck at gigging.

I recommend looking for a used Randall RM50.
post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-30-2011, 11:25 PM

Stay away from the Line 6 crap. There ok at home for practice but no good in a band setting. You need somthing that won't get lost in the mix.
post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-30-2011, 11:59 PM

i know its a bass amp, so youll need a distortion pedal. but i recommend the bugera btx36000. its 3800 watts of straight power and its so big that if you turn it on, your lights dim!! and lets not forget that no cab can contain it, let alone produce any sound from it!!! how can you resist????

but seriously, maybe a bugera 6262 combo? or if you hate those you could get a blackstar venue ht-60s combo. 60 watts, 1x12 etc. just a simple amp that gets s**t done

http://guitars.***************.com/p...Amp?sku=423769

sigh........ m. u. s. i. c. a. n. s. f. r. i. e. n. d.
post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-01-2011, 12:52 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBZRG1527prestige View Post
i know its a bass amp, so youll need a distortion pedal. but i recommend the bugera btx36000. its 3800 watts of straight power and its so big that if you turn it on, your lights dim!! and lets not forget that no cab can contain it, let alone produce any sound from it!!! how can you resist????

but seriously, maybe a bugera 6262 combo? or if you hate those you could get a blackstar venue ht-60s combo. 60 watts, 1x12 etc. just a simple amp that gets s**t done

http://guitars.***************.com/p...Amp?sku=423769

sigh........ m. u. s. i. c. a. n. s. f. r. i. e. n. d.
Blackstars are out of my spending range honestly. Cool amps, and certainly will do the job, but Im not trying to spend an arm and leg here either

Bugera looks cool, ill check that out.

still waiting on a response for this valveking 250 for the 212 version!

http://batonrouge.craigslist.org/msg/2282504309.html

this is perfect, but too freakin big! lol.

Last edited by linuxpenguin; 05-01-2011 at 12:57 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode