How much would it take to get DiMarzio to design some pickups for me? - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 51 (permalink) Old 07-22-2011, 10:13 PM Thread Starter

How much would it take to get DiMarzio to design some pickups for me?

Wow. Well, allright. I've been wanting specifically designed pickups to fit my specifications for quite a while. I've listened through tons of Seymour Duncan, tons of DiMarzio, all the Bare Knuckle stuff, Emg, etc. etc. You name it! I haven't been able to find the perfect pickup for me. So I was wondering. I want something that's unique, special, capable of doing anything, without pressing anything. Something that would be instantly recognisable. How much would it take, to get a huge company like DiMarzio to design something like that? I want all that in one single humbucker.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 51 (permalink) Old 07-22-2011, 10:54 PM

Re: How much would it take to get DiMarzio to design some pickups for me?

I didn't think they took custom orders.
post #3 of 51 (permalink) Old 07-22-2011, 10:58 PM
Banned

Reviews: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gladhed View Post
Wow. Well, allright. I've been wanting specifically designed pickups to fit my specifications for quite a while. I've listened through tons of Seymour Duncan, tons of DiMarzio, all the Bare Knuckle stuff, Emg, etc. etc. You name it! I haven't been able to find the perfect pickup for me. So I was wondering. I want something that's unique, special, capable of doing anything, without pressing anything. Something that would be instantly recognisable. How much would it take, to get a huge company like DiMarzio to design something like that? I want all that in one single humbucker.
Yeah and call it ...............UTOPIA
post #4 of 51 (permalink) Old 07-22-2011, 11:48 PM

Quote:
I want something that's unique, special, capable of doing anything, without pressing anything. Something that would be instantly recognisable.
That's not asking for too much at all . You're never going to have it all, there's always going to be some give and take. Maybe you need to mix a normal humbucker, synth, and piezo's into one uber sound.
post #5 of 51 (permalink) Old 07-23-2011, 12:03 AM

It would take a lot.
post #6 of 51 (permalink) Old 07-23-2011, 12:04 AM

Reviews: 25

If you cant sound good with whats out there, then im afraid its never going to happen for you...
post #7 of 51 (permalink) Old 07-23-2011, 12:29 AM

Asking someone at Dimarzio instead of Jemsite would probably be the most helpful to you
post #8 of 51 (permalink) Old 07-23-2011, 12:44 AM

Reviews: 120

There are Plenty of boutique pickup builders all over the world that custom make pickups. Do a search on google, contact some and see if they think they can build what you are after. Be aware though, no one is going to build pickup prototype after prototype for the fee of one pickup to get exactly what you want. You would have to pay for any made.

Maybe contact Jamie at The Creamery. He's in the UK, and makes custom orders. Contact a bunch of people though.
post #9 of 51 (permalink) Old 07-23-2011, 02:51 AM

Reviews: 34

Contact Bare Knuckle. I am pretty sure they do some custom stuff.

I got them to make six string pickups in pink.
post #10 of 51 (permalink) Old 07-23-2011, 06:35 AM

Reviews: 25

Making pups in pink isn't exactly custom wound...and to the tone of your liking.. That takes time, and testing with the guitarist.
post #11 of 51 (permalink) Old 07-23-2011, 07:03 AM

Reviews: 2

a lot of money for starters.... :P
post #12 of 51 (permalink) Old 07-23-2011, 08:28 AM Thread Starter

Wow! Tons of replies. Thanks heaps. But my problem is not, that it doesn't sound good when I play. I just want something perfect. That's being a perfectionist to the degree of it being unhealthy. But anyways, I'm happy for the replies. Perhaps some day in the future it would be possible.
post #13 of 51 (permalink) Old 07-23-2011, 09:12 AM

Reviews: 1

Well, any problem like this can be solved with money, you know.

Some people are quite happy with an evolution in the bridge and a fred in the neck... but others just want to waste money.
post #14 of 51 (permalink) Old 07-23-2011, 10:24 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage_freak_forever View Post
Well, any problem like this can be solved with money, you know.

Some people are quite happy with an evolution in the bridge and a fred in the neck... but others just want to waste money.
Somehow, I've never liked the Evo. Somehow it seems cold to me. However, for now I suppose I MUST make due with some of those which they already have. Perhaps a Super Distortion bridge, a Tone Zone neck .. any recommendations for a singlecoil humbucker in middle position?
post #15 of 51 (permalink) Old 07-23-2011, 12:20 PM

Reviews: 1

Quote:
Somehow, I've never liked the Evo. Somehow it seems cold to me. However, for now I suppose I MUST make due with some of those which they already have. Perhaps a Super Distortion bridge, a Tone Zone neck .. any recommendations for a singlecoil humbucker in middle position?

It's hard to recommend something if we really don't know what you are looking for... you can't have everyting on a humbucker, besides, what kind of guitar do you have. I mean, what kind of wood. Different wood make the pickups sound a little different.
I just told you what I like and that does not mean is gonna like you. I like the evolution in the bridge because is a very rock-metal like humbucker that's very clear, and sound awesome with my guitar with alder body and maple neck and a fender amp plus a wampler triple wreck + analog echo + ego compressor. But maybe you are using a very bright amp with a rosewood guitar and you are gonna sound very different.

Let your ear to decide... This are the pickups I use, evolution the bridge and the fred in the neck (sound awesome) and as a mid pickup I use a fender lace sensor gold, wich give me a nice 50 sound.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBW9I6UCuBY

Anyway, if you can't find the right pickup, maybe the problem is not the pickup... huh?

Tags
custom , design , dimarzio , pickups

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode