How should I configure my home studio? - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-02-2017, 10:16 PM Thread Starter

How should I configure my home studio?

Attached is a PDF of my current basement home studio set up. I need to reconfigure it, move the desk, treat the walls, etc. I will borrow a friend's RTA mic and software, and hopefully get an idea of what this room is like.

Any ideas on placement of desk, monitors, treatments? I've read a lot on GIK Acoustics. I have guitars and such hanging from almost every wall, a full drum kit, and a few various keyboards and percussion things, so the room isn't tight, but it is well packed.

Carpet floor.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 12:44 PM

Re: How should I configure my home studio?

Don't see the attachment, but in general you want your desk/speakers centered on the short wall, pointing straight down the longer access of the room. If you have the space, getting the desk a bit off the wall so the speakers are a 3rd of the way down the length of the room is generally a good idea. Sounds like you might not, though.

Bass traps in the corners are usually a good starting point, as is treating the point of first refection from your monitors (try lining it up with a laser pointer if you need to)
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 01:52 PM Thread Starter

Sorry, here is the picture.
That's what I thought, but was looking for other solutions as well (like maybe against the left wall looking at this image, center on that wall, out a bit.) I just don't like having my back to the hallway.

Thanks!

http://s38.photobucket.com/user/Sens...3uqad.jpg.html
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 12:17 PM

Yikes, that's a weird one. Also, that's definitely NOT to scale, which makes it tough to eyeball.

Gut level? I'd be more concerned about the hallway marked "basement continues" than I would be about the length/width of the room, since positioned based on room dimensions (facing the 13' wall, towards the window, centered) your left speaker, pointing inwards towards the right, would likely have a way more distant reflection point (somewhere down the hallway) while your right would hit the shorter wall. You also have the extra foot drop on the ceiling to contend with. There's no real ideal answer here, but I'd probably start by trying the desk facing the 18' wall with the hallway to your left, to at least get consistent airspace behind you, and then for kicks also try the opposite side of the room with the hallway behind you and to your right, to take the foot drop in the ceiling mostly out of the equation. I suspect the first approach will work better than the second, but acoustics are weird.

That said, if you don't mind getting your hands a little dirty, installing drywall and a door across that hallway to close off the room might be a better long term answer.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 11:57 PM

That room has little bit of chaos going on...... which is actually not the worst thing when it comes to recording instruments. You will need to be creative and a mic locker full of Sennheiser microphones wouldn't hurt (Sennheiser understands that some rooms are less than ideal and they design microphones with that in mind), but I think there are probably some good sounds to be recorded in that room. "You can record instruments in interesting spaces." - Who knows? (I did read this somewhere though.)

As for hearing what you recorded, I would seek professional help. You have a wonky basement that may have potential but I do not have the expertise to see it. If there were ever a time to own a pair of Sennheiser HD800's and a nice headphone amp this would be it. People say you should not mix on headphones, well, if they can sort out your room and make it functional for monitoring/mixing than listen to them because they are probably professionals.

Good luck!
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-13-2017, 01:22 PM

I've gotten a lot of great advice over at Homerecording.org - they havce a studio design subforum and thhere are some very bright guys who post there.

You're going to need an accurately measured, to-scale, 3-D layout of your room, though, if you're going to get useful responses.

Tags
bass trap , ideas , studio , suggestions , treatment

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode