How should I mic my amp? - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-18-2006, 01:35 AM Thread Starter

How should I mic my amp?

I have a Digitech Workstation and I am not very happy with the recording quality through the USB. I would really like to start recording my 2x12 combo amp through a mic. I only have one mic input on my workstation. Would one mic do it? Or would I need 2 for better sound quality? And how would I get the mics into my computer through USB? I'm really new to this so I don't know what kind of mic to buy. What are some good mics?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-18-2006, 02:43 AM
Dee

Re: How should I mic my amp?

Just 1 mic. A Shure SM57 about 5 inches away from the speaker. Experiment with positioning until you're happy. Buy a good soundcard to capture the signal into your PC.

If all else fails, buy a Behringer V-Amp Pro and save your amp for live use.

Last edited by Dee; 06-18-2006 at 02:50 AM.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-18-2006, 12:38 PM Thread Starter

I have an Creative Audigy 2 ZS as my souncard. Do I need something like an inbox to get the mic connected to the soundcard? Or can I just use the mic input on my workstation, which is connected to the computer through a USB port? And what are other mics I should consider?
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-20-2006, 05:55 PM

Dude, that's like asking "I have an electric guita,r and it's just not cutting it unplugged. How should I amplify it?"

There's nearly an infinite number of ways to get a guitar on tape. An old standby is a SM57 right up against the grille, but even then a mm or two in either direction can drastically change the sound.

I'm no expert myself, but even I could write a book on this. Lately, I've had a thing for an Audix i5 45 degrees off axis against the cone and very slightly off center, or dead on, an inch or so off center, and 2-3 inches back. However, I'd recommend doing a netsearch, reading everything you can, theng etting a quality mic and spending a couple weeks experimenting to see what works for you and for your gear.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-20-2006, 06:18 PM
Dee

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarman13
I have an Creative Audigy 2 ZS as my souncard. Do I need something like an inbox to get the mic connected to the soundcard? Or can I just use the mic input on my workstation, which is connected to the computer through a USB port? And what are other mics I should consider?
Sorry for the late reply.

I'd try just using the mic input on your soundcard. As for considering other mic's, well maybe I sound close-minded, but no, the SM57 would get you the best results!
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-20-2006, 11:15 PM

(warning, strictly amateur advice ahead)

The SM57 will work likely work well if your amp is turned up pretty loud and if the sm57 likes your preamp, otherwise I think it will work merely OK. If you're in a situation where you have to record at lower volumes (e.g. in an apartment, or your preamps don't seem to like the sm57, (and perhaps if you like an extra sizzly high gain sound -- some people love that, many hate it) a small diaphragm condenser might be the better choce.

Also, moving the mic around a little bit can make a huge difference in the sound, you have to experiment a bit.

When I've mic'ed an amp in my situation, I've found the small diaphragm condensers almost always seem better to me than the SM57s. Usually, I find amp modellers (v-amp, pod, etc.) do a better job than I can do with my amps and mics anyway though, despite seeming rather gauche compared to mic'ing an amp. Could be I'm just not turning up loud enough, I don't know. I think my preamps (yamaha AW4416 preamps) are known for being pretty transparent, but lacking in gain, which maybe isn't the best match for an SM57 on
electric guitar.

Tags
combo amp , electric guitar

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode