How to use the ADA MP-1 ??? - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-02-2003, 01:45 AM Thread Starter

How to use the ADA MP-1 ???

Hey guys!
I don't actually own one of these units, but i'd like to know how you'd ideally run it in a setup. This may sound ignorant, but do you just run it in front of your amp or what? I don't know anything about the uses of preamps/poweramps, so if any of that is involved, please explain it to me.
The reason i ask is because these things are really cheap, and i've heard a LOT of good stuff about them! I'm looking into getting a more powerful setup { i.e. something running through a 4x12 }. Can you get good high-gain tones out of them?
Please explain!
Thanks,
Ben
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-02-2003, 05:59 AM

if you're looking for something very professional, easy to use YET cheap, than you couldnt get better than with an MP-1.
it's a midi programmable tube preamp, you just plug it in between your guitar and your power amp. despite its all-buttons & display looking, it's painfully simple to use, cause any button has just ONE function. you can create your own 128 (128, right?) sounds: from a crystal-like, glassy & piano-ish clean, to the rawest & merciless wall-of-sound à la Dimebag, not to mention those warm, 'tasty' thick & fat crunches à la SRV, and you can control them with just a foot stomp with a midi controller (a simple pedalboard with many switches on, nothing to study).
that's what you can modify to create your sounds:

- OverDrive 1
- OverDrive 2
- Master Gain
- Bass
- Mids
- Treble
- Presence
- Effects On/Off
- Chorus' Depth & Rate
- Voicing Solid State or Tube (clean or dist)
- Output level

for ANY of these functions there is just ONE button: you tweak them, and when you get your sound you just push Store button. then you can recall it at any moment with your foot controller.
nothing could be easier.
oh, and nothing could be cheapier, you can find lots on ebay for around $200-230.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-02-2003, 06:04 AM

i was forgetting,
it works with two 12AX7 preamp tubes, very cheap and easy to replace, in case (no biasing needed).
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-02-2003, 08:54 AM

Ideally, if you want to run it in stereo, you have to get a stereo power amp. The ADA has 2 outputs (A and B). you run each of these outputs into input 1 & 2 of your power amp, then from the power amp (channel 1 & 2) out to a couple speaker cabinets.

That's your stereo set up. Pretty simple.

Rob
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-02-2003, 09:31 AM

Reviews: 1
Make sure you get the Original MP-1, not the Classic.
The classic has a noise gate ( Desirable ) but it lacks the gain of the original ( Less desirable ) Also, run the MP-1 through a real tube amp, not the ADA micro tubes or other mosfet power amps, it makes ALL the difference ! ! ! You'll need a noise gate for the unit but they can be found on the cheap and integrated with many processors like the Rocktron, TC Electronic, and ART units.

Have fun !
Bamm
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-02-2003, 10:16 AM

I Agree, bammbamm...
Mine is the MP-1, not the CLASSIC version...
And it's BURRRRRN, man!
Tubarão
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-02-2003, 11:02 AM

Try a jemsite search for ADA threads-there are lots

cheers

Simon
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-02-2003, 11:32 AM Thread Starter

Wow, thanks for the help and quick replies, guys!
So, in order to properly use one of these units, i'd need the ADA, a tube power amp, an amp head, and a cab or two... hmm, not quite as cheap of a setup as i thought it would be! What does a power amp do? Why would i need one? One more thing, does the ADA have authentic, 'tubey' distortion, of processesed junk?
Also, if anyone could give me examples of some good head/poweramp combos, with prices, if possible, you'll receieve a blessing from our father, Steve Vai.
Thanks, you guys rock!
Ben
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-02-2003, 11:41 AM

You don't need a power amp AND a head.

Amps in general have preamps and power amps. Preamps do the tone shaping and power amps make the signal LOUD.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-02-2003, 11:54 AM Thread Starter

Hmm, so a preamp/poweramp combo can essentially eliminate the need for a head unit? Sweet. So what would be a good power amp to use with the ADA? With prices, if possible.
Thanks again!
Ben
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-02-2003, 12:03 PM

Exactly. Any amp is essentially a self-contained preamp and power amp. Combos combine those with a speaker cabinet as well. The advantage of rack setups is that you can mix and match your components.

A couple of good rack-mounted tube power amp options are the Peavey Classic 50/50, the Mesa 20/20 Stereo, 2:Fifty or 2:90. The Peavey is very reasonably priced, but you get a mass-produced product and mediocre tech support. With Mesa, you get a hand-built product with customer support by people who are passionate about what they do... and you pay a premium price for it.

One cool feature with the Peavey is that you can bridge the two stereo channels so you can run it as a 100W mono rig or two 50W channels.

There are lots of others as well, but these are the ones i've looked into.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-02-2003, 12:03 PM

Mesa 20/20: 499 new, 350-400 used...great amp, loud as all get out, EL84 tubes. One rack space, but heavy as hell for its size.

Mesa 50/50: Similar to 20/20 but more power and different tube configuration. Sounds a little boomier in the bass and is spongier, think Fender power sections, 6L6 powered. Check E-bay for pricing, but generally pretty reasonable.

Mesa 2:90: The macdaddy cadillac of the mesa line. Expensive, loud, heavy as an import car.

VHT: Good reviews, loud, expensive

Peavey Classic 50/50: can be had for insane deals, good power amp, don't know much else about it.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-02-2003, 12:10 PM

I use the Peavey 50/50 and I think it is an excellent power amp. By far the best bang for you buck out there.

Never really A/B'd my rig with different power amps to know the difference between them (and I'm sure there are). It all depends on how much you want to spend and what type of tone you're looking to achieve.

I don't think you'll be disappointed with the Peavey though

Rob
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-02-2003, 12:14 PM

Tags
amp combo , amp head , midi controller , peavey classic , power amp , power amps , preamp tube , rack setup , rack space , speaker cab , steve vai , tube amp , tube power amp , tube preamp

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode