Hughes & Kettner Access Users?? - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-14-2004, 10:00 PM Thread Starter

Hughes & Kettner Access Users??

any of you guys out there?....lets do some patch swapping!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-15-2004, 12:11 PM

i have an access! man that thing rules! i personally think that its a triaxis killer. i'd love to swap some patches..i'm at work now, but in the next couple of days i'll jot some stuff down and post it!

do you use a processor with yours? if so which one? i use a g-major, and i've found that the parametric eq really brings the access to life and lets you dial in some amazing tones...

what else do you use with it? what's your set-up?

here's mine:

parker fly classic>>>ernie ball jr. volume>>>budda wah>>>access>>>mesa 50/50>>>(stereo)>>>mesa tradional slant 4x12
controlled with a ground control pro...
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-15-2004, 09:35 PM Thread Starter

im running mine through a BBE 362 and an eventide dsp4000, kitty hawk 60 watt power amp into a hughes and kettner 4 x 12, the DSP has several eq's in it i might tinker around with em, but i just mainly use delay set about 440 ms, im trying to nail satch's tone on surfing with the alien with no luck, im thinking that the access has TOO much gain!!!!

the main patch setting i use is

tube 3

gain: 105
master: 66
balance: 64
bass: 103
mid: 64
treble: 21
presence: 126

with the mid and treble boosts both on

its pretty brutal distortion

i think the comment you made about it being a triaxis killer is funny cause the guy i bought this from steered me away from a triaxis in favor of this piece saying it has more gain and better value for the money, either way im quite pleased with this pre amp considering i was using an ADA mp1 before i bought this one
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-16-2004, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mo biscuits
i think the comment you made about it being a triaxis killer is funny cause the guy i bought this from steered me away from a triaxis in favor of this piece saying it has more gain and better value for the money, either way im quite pleased with this pre amp considering i was using an ADA mp1 before i bought this one
Hmmm......Since you used to use the MP-1 how would you compare these 2 preamps? Which would you say has more gain? How about the bottem end of the access? Is more "ballsy" than the MP-1? What would be your overall opinion of the Access and the MP-1 be?

Just wondering 'cause I'm a die hard ADA guy (I guess since I own 3 MP-1's that are modded and an MP-2) , but I've always wondered about the Access and was close to buying one at one time, but the price just kinda scared me off. I hear good things about them, but I have yet to hear from someone who has owned both and how they compare.

Thanks

Rob
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-16-2004, 05:48 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobV
Quote:
Originally Posted by mo biscuits
Hmmm......Since you used to use the MP-1 how would you compare these 2 preamps? Which would you say has more gain? How about the bottem end of the access? Is more "ballsy" than the MP-1? What would be your overall opinion of the Access and the MP-1 be?

Just wondering 'cause I'm a die hard ADA guy (I guess since I own 3 MP-1's that are modded and an MP-2) , but I've always wondered about the Access and was close to buying one at one time, but the price just kinda scared me off. I hear good things about them, but I have yet to hear from someone who has owned both and how they compare.

Thanks

Rob

this is just my opinion, but the access smokes the mp1, i will admit though that i havent found a low end setting that im comfortable with yet, im sure if i keep tinkering ill nail it, but one of the coolest features of the access is you can use it as a switching system with another preamp. id suggest if you come across one cheap snag it!!!!!
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-17-2004, 10:42 AM

in addition to the "always on" preamp loop, there is also the option of the 3 switchable fx loops which would let you add in an external eq or overdrive to give it some more oomph...
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-20-2004, 03:28 PM

incidently, for some recorded h&k access tones, check out cynic's 1993 album focus...really great progressive death metal. i actually hesitate to call it death metal because of the associations that it has, but as they use the growly vocals from time to time...

cynic's actually probably a precursor to a band like opeth...
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-13-2009, 04:58 PM

Reviews: 2
Re: Hughes & Kettner Access Users??

Let's dig up a 5 year old thread

Any if you guys still use these ?
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-11-2009, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverburst View Post
Let's dig up a 5 year old thread

Any if you guys still use these ?
Yup.. still using it for the past 15 years... no problem..
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-18-2010, 04:36 PM

The clips I've heard of the Access sound extremely good - thick, rich , smooth, complex etc, not a hint of buzz or fizz, EZ to dial in Gilmour Ej and others- I have a real good ADA MP1 and doubt if it could hang with the Access on those kinds of tones and really clear higain like the Access can do.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-21-2010, 06:57 PM

Has anyone using the access (v1) experienced problems with the stageboard? I've just aquired one and the stageboard just causes the unit to lock up? Also if anyone has a V1 english manual for this? Finally, does anyone use a MIDI controller to run the access, change patches etc?
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-21-2010, 06:59 PM

Is this a v1? If so do you have the manual?
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-08-2010, 07:50 AM

I am having a problem with my Access.
I bought this unit new. Only owner
After 15 min or so the unit begins to flash all of its lights (power) off and on.
If I shut it off and wait 5 min then turn it back on it will work for a short time again.
I have replaced both Tubes.
The memory battery although quite old still shows it has its full power
Fuses all look ok
Guessing flukey power supply.

Has anyone heard of such a problem or do you know someone who is well versed on this unit.
HK tough to get an answer out of them.
Thanks Joe

Tags
death metal , ernie ball , parker fly , parker fly classic , power amp

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode