Hughes & Kettner Switchblade 50W combo - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-05-2007, 08:53 AM Thread Starter

Hughes & Kettner Switchblade 50W combo

Does anybody have one??

I would definitively buy one but am a bit afraid it's a bit too powerful / loud for home practice /recording....

What do you think??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-05-2007, 09:17 AM

Re: Hughes & Kettner Switchblade 50W combo

I haven't tried one yet but being 50wtts should have plenty of power and yet still be "tameable" enough for home use.

My next amp(s) will be the new 50wtt Express series from Mesa (head and 1x12 combo respectably). One of the nice things about the 5:50 and 5:25 Express amps is the ability to go from 50wtts (5:50) or 25wtts (5:25) to 5wtts. There are some other Mesa amps that have similar features of low wattage settings as well.

Try out as much stuff as you can with your own gear/guitar so you know what you're getting and do a little research on amps that have the power cut feature. (The Lonestar series from Mesa has those settings as well).
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-05-2007, 10:32 AM

Reviews: 2

Tested the switchblade series, and must say, interface-wise, they are perfect. At last again a brand that combines presets in an analogue circuit, for the sake of presets. a pain in the *ss with 95% of other brands, you have to write your presets down or what ??

That said, make sure to test it as screamndemon69 says. It has a wide range of tones for sure but it's own flavor of distortion color. You sound convinced already.

As for power... it goes loud as hell, 50 or 100w tubes, doesn't really matter. luckily the switchblades series have a channel volume and master than keep things manageable, but as far as I can remember, they don't have a half power mode or something alike. The mesa 50 dual caliber as well as the Carvin legacy (had only 1 volume button) combo's I owned, couldn't simply dail them past 2 at home or blood would splatter out of my ears (it just did start hurting ).
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-06-2007, 04:28 AM Thread Starter

Thanks....

Yes I like H&K a lot! for rehearsals I have a Trilogy which I love...
Like the distortion as well as te very clean sounds...
I like the idea of having the effects ready on the amp!!

At home I've played for the last 12 years!! (YES) on a H&K Attax 80 wich is great but starts to be a bit old and noisy (knobs..) circuits must be dead

So yeah I will try to find some great amps and try them!
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-06-2007, 06:29 AM

Reviews: 2

ah if you like the trilogy, you like the H&K distortion flavor. I've had the ATS30, ATS120 (I liked its Lead channel a lot at the time, completely different than the attax series), Attax 200 (superb clean but never liked the overdrives). I tried different H&K amps in stores later but I didn't return to H&K anymore, althouhg I had a lot of fait in the switchblade, simply great concept. (now my ADA MP1 3TM rullezzz )

a Switchblade for just home practice if you already have a trilogy might be a bit overkill
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-06-2007, 08:23 AM Thread Starter

You're right PMike... But I have Big GAS these days!!

A limited edition 20W tube amp by H&K could do the trick... but no effects...

[email protected] I need to buy something!
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-06-2007, 10:04 AM

Reviews: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by casper777 View Post
You're right PMike... But I have Big GAS these days!!

A limited edition 20W tube amp by H&K could do the trick... but no effects...

[email protected] I need to buy something!
yeah..I am eyeing H&K limited edition 20 W too. But I think it only comes with shared EQ for both channels. why do you want effect on amps. Run G-System in effect loops

Let me know how it goes if you happen to buy that.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-06-2007, 04:45 PM

Reviews: 130

Check out the Statesman 20W for home practice if you think the Switchblade is overkill--personally, I have a Switchblade head, a Trilogy, and a TriAmp MK II--I soak them for practicing. The Switchblade is one of the best heads I've heard in a long time.

Tags
mesa amps , tube amp

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode