Hughes and Kettner - Switchblade Review - Page 2 - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-05-2008, 12:52 AM

Re: Hughes and Kettner - Switchblade Review

I don't know about the history of Hughes and Kettner, but they seem to becoming more popular as time goes by?

When I saw Rush live (Snakes & Arrows tour) I saw Alex Lifeson's signature Triamp glowing purple. I had to get one except it's the non-signature Triamp. Glad I bought one because it a very versatile amp.

Thanks for the review on the Switchblade Tank. Great review!

Paul
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-05-2008, 02:12 AM

Reviews: 6

I had one of these. The clean channel sounded excellent with single coils. For the other channels you really needed to have the master volume up for it to sound good. With the volume sufficiently goosed it didn't have me looking for extra preamp tubes or anything. Amp was a bit noisier than I'm used to from a high gainer but, then again it was capable of HIGH gain.
post #18 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-05-2008, 01:45 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_R View Post
I don't know about the history of Hughes and Kettner, but they seem to becoming more popular as time goes by?

When I saw Rush live (Snakes & Arrows tour) I saw Alex Lifeson's signature Triamp glowing purple. I had to get one except it's the non-signature Triamp. Glad I bought one because it a very versatile amp.

Thanks for the review on the Switchblade Tank. Great review!

Paul
Nice score. I played through a Lifeson TriAmp once, sadly was out of my budget range. It is an awesome amp that can do about anything. Nice buy you got there, I hear the standard TriAmp is not lots of different. Would be cool if you could give us a review.
I like Rush, those guys still rock!
post #19 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-05-2008, 06:34 PM

I've had the switchblade head for a while now... tanks review is pretty close to what I've experienced with it. But I do think I should emphasize the noise, this thing can get pretty noisy when you turn the gain up, much worse than most high gain amps I've played with. Also this amp is not very good at bedroom volumes, but hey thats no fun anyway right Just thought id throw in my $.02
post #20 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-08-2008, 05:54 PM

Reviews: 130

I've never actually found one amp that gives me the sound I'm looking for. I have a Switchblade head running through a 4x12 loaded with Vintage 30s. On its own, the Switchblade is a formidable amp. As noted above, it takes a fair amount of tweaking and the controls are fairly sensitive. The trade-off is all the programmability, which is great. I run a dry/wet/dry setup with the Switchblade providing the "wet" in the center. The dry "ends" are a Hughes & Kettner Trilogy running through a 4 x 12 with GT-50s and a Hughes & Kettner TriAmp MK II running through a 4 x 12 with Heritage 30s.

The take-away here is that the speaker pairing is equally as important. I couldn't get my Trilogy or TriAmp to sound good with Vintage 30's, but once I changed speakers, holy lord. Conversely, the Switchblade sounds great with the V 30s or GT-50s, but not so much with the Heritage 30's.

Bottom line--Switchblade is a great, versatile amp if you have the time to tweak.
post #21 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-20-2008, 07:32 PM
HSH

Old thread, but here's my $0.02 - I bought a Switchblade 212 combo, used it once, second time made bad noises, has been in the shop (Buffalo, NY) since. About 3 months without my amp now. Pearl isn't distributing H&K anymore, so it's all up in the air. Odd that another identical amp sold at same store had probs, too. May sell it when I get it back. Very unhappy with H&K at this point. Had a nice clean sound, though.
post #22 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-21-2008, 04:55 PM

Reviews: 13

I have a Switchblade head that I use with one of their V30 cabinets and I love the sound. I use the head with the infamous "4 cable method" with a Fractal Audio Axe-FX Ultra and it is simply amazing. I have some patches where I am just using the Switchblade as a power amp and others that run the preamp in the loop. I do like the straight-up tone of Hughes and Kettner amps.

There is some noise in the Switchblade but I ran an ISP Decimator and it was fine.
post #23 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-22-2008, 06:53 PM
HSH

My amp is MIA so the guy at the store says he'll get me a Trilogy head. I'm scared of the 'blade now. Glad yours is to your liking, though. Now I gotta save up for a cab.
post #24 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-29-2008, 07:39 PM
HSH

....forgot to add that one thing that sold me on H&K was the clean channel, even on the Switchblade. Very nice, and on the Trilogy. The Lifeson Triamp WOULD be nice, but the following divorce wouldn't be!!! So I'm not dumping or dumping on H&K. Nice sounds, just hope the Trilogy is better made than the 'blade I had. And, I hear you can change the colors of the LEDs out, so you could make a Trilogy glow "graple" if you wanted to.
post #25 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-30-2008, 04:10 AM Thread Starter

Usually the HK amps are very well built, if you get a lemon (which can happen) and distribution changes, this is really bad luck...
The Trilogy is a nice amp, just do not expect ultra high gain metal sounds. It can go high gain, but the sound is somewhat off, in crunch and clean this amp shines.
post #26 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-07-2008, 08:59 PM

Race update--I sold my Trilogy for a Marshall JVM410H--just more flexibility. I've encountered one problem with my Switchblade--one of the power tubes worked its way out of the socket, most likely a result of heat expansion, and reduced the overall volume until I re-seated it in the socket. It has stayed put ever since. Still love it! Check my post in the "Riggs of Doom" section for a schematic of my current 5-amp mega-setup that uses H & K Switchblade, ROCKMAN Stage Head, Marshall JVM410H, H & K Triamp MK II, and a Marshall JMP-1 - based rack setup.

Cheers,

Race
post #27 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-07-2008, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tank View Post
Usually the HK amps are very well built, if you get a lemon (which can happen) and distribution changes, this is really bad luck...
The Trilogy is a nice amp, just do not expect ultra high gain metal sounds. It can go high gain, but the sound is somewhat off, in crunch and clean this amp shines.
I got some pretty uber-metal sounds out of my Trilogy--change the preamp tubes to 12AX7-M reissues (or NOS if you've got the big checkbook) and pair it with something other than Vintage 30's.

Cheers,

Race
post #28 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-08-2008, 07:06 PM

I like H&K.. but this amp to me is only good for that 'dimebag' style scooped tone.. Definitely a metal amp
post #29 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-11-2008, 04:05 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by shogun View Post
I like H&K.. but this amp to me is only good for that 'dimebag' style scooped tone.. Definitely a metal amp
Now that is bogus. The clean and crunch sounds are extremely good and can go from Country to Blues to Classic Hard Rock in no time.
The Trilogy is picky at cabs though. If you have Greenbacks you are in for a surprise as it will sound awful, if you have Jensen Neos it is a whole different story... V30s only in an open back.
post #30 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-28-2008, 05:31 PM
HSH

got a Trilogy head - so far so good. I wish the 'blade had worked out, but I like the Trilogy.

Tags
alex lifeson , distortion pedal , high gain amp , isp decimator , kettner triamp , marshall dsl , marshall jvm , marshall tsl , mesa dual , power amp , practice amp , preamp tube , rack setup , solid state amp , tube amp , tube amps , versatile amp

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode