Hughes & Kettner vs vox/blackstar - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-28-2012, 08:10 PM Thread Starter

Hughes & Kettner vs vox/blackstar

HI, Im in the market for a new amp. My marshall AVT 150 died the other day at practice, Im not too bummed about that though. I am currently having it repaired so that I can sell it, not sure if I want to sell the head and keep the cab to use or just sell the stack. I have wanted to sell it for some time now. Our band is moving away from covers and toward originals (alt rock with some delta blues influence), and Id like something that will fit our sound and be less....generic sounding.

I have been looking at the Vox night train 50, and the Blackstar 50. My basic requirements are at least 2 footswitchable channels, I need to be able to go from a clean sound to a fairly gain-y driven channel, and I dont like distortion pedals. I would be open to some sort of overdrive pedal that pushed the amp instead of a digital sounding distortion pedal. Every amp I have had has either been solid state or hybrid (the AVT), and Id really like to try a higher end sounding tube amp.

I have not been able to play either the vox or the blackstar in person, I listened to some reviews and it seems like the blackstar is pretty marshall-y, it also has a "digital reverb" and it has a tone shaping knob that changes it from brit sounding to US sounding. I really dont like the last 2 features mentioned there, I assume they will sound digital/solid state=ish.

The vox on the other hand is more of a simple tube amp, 2 channels, no reverb but Ill take no reverb over digital reverb. The vox is 100$ more thought.

Anyway, I went to the local guitar center to try some of these amps. In typical guitar center fashion they had neither, they did have a jet city 333 head that I tried but it was broken. An employee directed me to 2 amps, an orange tiny terror and an Hughes and Kettner tubemeister 18. I had no intentions of playing either because it appeared that neither had multiple channels, but while leaving the employee mentioned that the H&K had 2 channels. I didnt have time to test it out but after looking at reviews it seems to sound very good. It also does not have a reverb, I would probably have to purchase a reverb pedal, and will also be running a wah and tuner pedal also. Neither of these pedals are true bypass, will this negate the hi fi sound of the h&k? Is it worth it to buy this kind of amp to just run analog pedals in front of it? Also, can I use the AVT cab for this head? I know the avt cab isnt exactly high end, maybe I should just sell it with the AVT head... Which brings me to my question, is this amp overkill for me? I know h&k is a boutique amp company, and Im sure they are higher quality than vox or blackstar. I just havent heard much about these. Sorry for the long post, I appreciate any advise.

Thanks for the help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-30-2012, 06:25 PM

Reviews: 2
Re: Hughes & Kettner vs vox/blackstar

Just bought an h&k tubemeister 18 head last week and I am greatly impressed with it, impressed enough to sell my Laney GH100L. Running it with a mesa 2x12 recto cab and it sounds amazing. The lead channel has a lead boost button that gives it even more gain, I also have a fulltone ocd to push the amp even harder. I would say go for the H&K Tubemeister 18.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-30-2012, 06:46 PM

Reviews: 120

Quote:
Originally Posted by callen3615 View Post
I have not been able to play either the vox or the blackstar in person, I listened to some reviews and it seems like the blackstar is pretty marshall-y, it also has a "digital reverb" and it has a tone shaping knob that changes it from brit sounding to US sounding. I really dont like the last 2 features mentioned there, I assume they will sound digital/solid state=ish.
The Blackstar propriety ISF knob is actually quite impressive. It is very organic sounding. I'm quite impressed with it on my HT-5. Apparently the digital reverb has impressed a lot of people as well. Don't be turned off by these features. Blackstar is excellent bang for buck.
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-30-2012, 07:21 PM

Reviews: 13

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=na5mm...eature=related

Perfect for this thread.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-31-2012, 12:18 AM Thread Starter

thanks guys, and good find.

I looked on the local CL and found a used 20th anniversary h&k combo for 250$!

Thinking about grabbing it, almost too cheap to turn down. It has the same features, also comes with reverb. The combo has less headroom on clean and the lead channel is less modern than the tubemeister but its 250$!
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-31-2012, 12:21 AM

Reviews: 120

That's a great deal. I'd definitely try it out. If it does what you want then it's a steal!
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-31-2012, 12:30 AM

The H&K 20th anniversary is a GREAT amp BUT, not a high gain amp at all. It's really more known for the H&K signature clean tone.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-31-2012, 01:02 AM Thread Starter

well id call the gain channel somewhere in between marshall and vox. Thats enough for what im doing, if its not theres always the tube screamer.

Thanks for the help guys.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-31-2012, 02:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by callen3615 View Post
well id call the gain channel somewhere in between marshall and vox. Thats enough for what im doing, if its not theres always the tube screamer.

Thanks for the help guys.
That should work. You'll get Heart Magic Man kind of tone out of it.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-31-2012, 05:47 AM

Reviews: 13

That'll be a brilliant score at that price!
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-31-2012, 06:04 PM Thread Starter

Ill jump on it if he will answer his freaking emails!

Tags
blackstar , hughes and kettner , rock , vox

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode