I hate using drummers... - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-28-2011, 09:51 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 2
Angry I hate using drummers...

As the title suggests, i absolutely hate recording drums for my compositions, especially for my school music assignments. Everything seems to go wrong and the recording process is lengthy. does anyone suggest how to record drums without using drums or a drummer? i use reaper at home, would a midi controller work if i download something like EZ Drummer? i have never used one before, is it hard to record metal drums with something like a korg nanopad? I am pretty inexperienced at home recording as you can probably tell already . Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-28-2011, 10:00 PM

Reviews: 18
Re: I hate using drummers...

EZ Drummer (as the title suggests) is pretty simple to use. It has a feature that (if your DAW allows it to) allows the user to drag and drop grooves onto the track and do whatever you'd like with it (duplicate it, extend it, slow it down, etc.)

I hope this helps

Jimmy
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-28-2011, 10:02 PM Thread Starter

hmmm, but in order to create the "groove" do i need a midi controller of somesort? i dont really like using preset drumloops....
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-28-2011, 10:32 PM

Reviews: 18

I think it comes with its own midi application. If you're talking about triggering the commands with a controller, I'm not quite sure, as that is new territory for me as well.

This thread may be a reference point:

http://www.toontrack.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=31858

And this may be an option for you to obtain in addition to EZ Drummer:

http://www.toontrack.com/products.asp?item=27

Jimmy
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-28-2011, 11:10 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Jimmy, that is really helpful
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-29-2011, 04:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureMetal View Post
hmmm, but in order to create the "groove" do i need a midi controller of somesort? i dont really like using preset drumloops....
As jb said, EZdrummer is your best bet if you like it simple... you don't really need EZplayer pro however. Once you drag patterns/grooves from EZdrummer onto REAPER's timeline, you can use REAPER's MIDI editor to change the pattern/velocity as required. In addition, I find the humanize function very good because it mixes things up so the drums don't sound like a machine.

And if you're recording metal, check out the drumkit from hell and metalheads expansion packs.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-29-2011, 05:20 AM

I had an electric drum kit I used to run in to my computer to trigger the Drum Kit from Hell 2. It was cool but the Midi lag time was really noticeable with drums. Now I use my Keyboard or my Akai controller.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-29-2011, 07:07 AM Thread Starter

great, thanks, so there are a couple options to go with, ill get ez drummer and then deside later if i need a hardware controller for it
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-29-2011, 11:00 AM

For my HSC composition i wrote out the drum tracks in guitar pro, exported the drum track into midi, imported it into cubase and set EZ drummer's Drum Kit From Hell as the instrument. Was excellent for recording my guitar parts to. But in the end i went over them with a real drummer anyway.

Toodles, Julz!
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-29-2011, 12:22 PM

what everyone else said. i use EZ drummer and haven't looked back. there are MANY "looped patterns" to choose from to customize your beat...almost too many! in your DAW, simply by right-clicking, your midi editor is opened and from there you can edit the loop...volumes, choose a different crash, etc. very easy and effective. i'm working on a cd right now using nothing but EZ drummer. sounds very real!
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-29-2011, 10:28 PM Thread Starter

awesome, now i just need to fork out $100...
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-30-2011, 08:57 AM

Reviews: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastian View Post
I had an electric drum kit I used to run in to my computer to trigger the Drum Kit from Hell 2. It was cool but the Midi lag time was really noticeable with drums. Now I use my Keyboard or my Akai controller.
What are you using for a computer and interface? I have a HP quad core, cubase studio 5, m-audio firewire 1814 interface and use a set of roland TD12s to trigger BFD2 and I can get the buffer on the interface down to 380-500 without midi lag. I have to get the drums recorded as early as possible. I start by step recording a simple drum track in BFD2 then record a scratch ryth guitar track to that. I then turn the metronome on in cubase and go back and actually play/record the drum part(no effects on anything period, I add all that later), then I crank up the buffer setting (2050) and start adding my guitars, bass guitar, add effects etc. I started playing drums before getting into guitar and tI makes recording soooo much easier for me when I can play my own drums so I was bound and determined to make the electronic drum kit thing work....lol
I thought maybe my approach might help you out....

Last edited by jl2556; 07-30-2011 at 11:34 PM.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-30-2011, 11:18 PM

Reviews: 3

Check out Native Instruments' Abbey Road Modern Drums($120),they work with the free Kontakt 4 Player and you can control it with a midi controller.The Abbey Road 80's Drums might work good for metal too.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-31-2011, 03:23 AM Thread Starter

well, i just bought EZDrummer, It is working really well so far, i just finished my music assignment

*NOTE TO SELF* Record Drums first! trying to fit drums (which is second nature to me) to my guitar (obviuosly my first) is proving to be really P*ssy :P

Tags
drummer , recording

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode