I just played through my dream amp... - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-13-2009, 12:22 AM Thread Starter

I just played through my dream amp...

...the Carvin Legacy! Ever since I got into Steve Vai I've been wanting to play a Carvin Legacy. I had it so hyped up in my mind that I was sure to be disappointed...Well that wasn't so. I walked into Guitar Center to buy some new kick-drum heads with a friend for some recordings and lo and behold, a used carvin legacy head for $495. Something I had literally only dreamed about happening. So, I plug in an epiphone les paul studio into it and ran it through the 4x12 JSX cabinet they had nearby.

The first thing I noticed was how freaking amazing the clean channel was. Clear, harmonically rich, and bouncy. I'd read many glowing reviews of the clean channel, so onto the distortion channel...

>_>, WHY do people say it doesn't have enough gain? Even on 6 I could get so much sustain. Backing the gain off to 4 or 5 still gave me ample amounts, below that, awesome crunch tones developed. Playing with the knobs yeild dramatically different results, and even on the low volume of 1-2, it was pretty dang loud. Back to the gain issue: again, why do people say it doesn't have enough gain? I could understand someone saying it doesn't have the raw chunk of a mesa boogie, or isn't voiced properly for all out metal, but not enough gain?????? And people talk about cranking the presence and treble knobs to get enough high end sizzle...well, fine if you like listening to static? I got plenty of note definition at very modest settings with the presence and treble knobs. Maybe if I'd plugged into this thing after I'd been playing for a year through a line6 spider amp on the "insane" setting I'd think the legacy "didn't have enough gain." but geeze, maybe I'm just having a completely different experience than others though.

Its on layaway now and I can't wait to bring it home and blast it through my Port City Music 2x12....*drools*
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-13-2009, 12:39 AM

Re: I just played through my dream amp...

I have one and it is so great, I don't understand the hate really at all haha
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-13-2009, 01:11 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbieguitarmaker View Post
I have one and it is so great, I don't understand the hate really at all haha
Great to see another legacy lover! I'm pretty sure this'll become -my- amp. I can see how the tone could be shaped to be Vai-ish. But so much of what makes Vai unique is in his fingers and phrasing, which I think the legacy really responds to well. In otherwords, it sounds like it can do much more than just a "Vai" sound. I'll know a lot more when I get it and play it through my own cabinet.

You can all rest assured that there will be -many- sound clips with all sorts of settings . Though, it might be 1-2 months before I have the extra cash to bring it home LOL.
post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-13-2009, 01:20 AM

yeah man its amazing that carvin can make such a great amp for so cheap

by the way i got my legacy used with free pre and poweramp tubes and a footswitch for $450 :P

its still at the amp tech but im psyched even more after reading this

nice youtube channel by the way
from the vai.com forums
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-13-2009, 02:23 AM

I love the Legacy. I'll probably never own one just cos I'm so happy with my Marshall, but I've used them a lot. I borrowed one for a few weeks which Steve later used on the Australian G3 tour, and I almost bought one of the heads he used on that tour - he borrowed them from the Aussie distributor, signed them at the end of the tour, and gave them back to be sold.

I think that people who say it doesn't have enough gain are confusing gain and compression, because the attack of the Legacy is so dynamic, especially around that magical '6' setting. It's a different kind of gain, that's all.
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-13-2009, 03:38 AM

Reviews: 25

Just to be a smart ass I love my Mesa :P
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-13-2009, 12:39 PM

Talking Re: I just played through my dream amp...

Good Choice! I got 2!!
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-13-2009, 01:13 PM

The only real negatives I hear about the Legacy is just how crazy loud it is. Lots of guys want one as a bedroom amp, and its a bit much for that But almost every amp has detractors when it comes to gain; everone has their personal preferences.
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-13-2009, 01:29 PM

Talking Re: I just played through my dream amp...

You could always try the Master Volime mod I did recently, I documented it on the Carvin BBS, see below:

http://www.carvinguitars.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=15818
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-13-2009, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucket_bot View Post
You could always try the Master Volime mod I did recently, I documented it on the Carvin BBS, see below:

http://www.carvinguitars.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=15818
temptingtemptingtempting

how long did it take you to install the mod?
my tech wants a ridiculous amount of money for it
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-13-2009, 10:48 PM

I recently talked to fja mods, it isn't too much money from them to get a master volume. I'd hope I could get my legacy 1 a master volume and maybe simplify the circuit like the Legacy II apparently did. But mostly master volume, I just hear the II has better low gain settings more brown soundy tones too.
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-14-2009, 12:22 AM

If they made a 3- or 40 watt 1-12 version of the legacy, I'd be beggin' my wife and saving yen. The gain can be what ever, I'm sure I'd learn to use it, but that clean, even 7-8 years after I played one still chimes in my head.

BTW does carvin make any amps that have a very similar clean tone but with far less wattage, let's say wattage that'll be okay for bedroom but dood enough for small club use?
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-14-2009, 07:21 AM

the people who complain about 'not enough gain,' don't know what they are doing, and the people who complain about it being too loud, have parkinson's disease
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-14-2009, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kotornut View Post
If they made a 3- or 40 watt 1-12 version of the legacy, I'd be beggin' my wife and saving yen. The gain can be what ever, I'm sure I'd learn to use it, but that clean, even 7-8 years after I played one still chimes in my head.

BTW does carvin make any amps that have a very similar clean tone but with far less wattage, let's say wattage that'll be okay for bedroom but dood enough for small club use?
the bogner alchemist 112 combo has a similar feel on the dirty channel.. you should check it out!!!!!
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-14-2009, 08:08 AM

Reviews: 2

Hehe, well, the first time I had a Legacy I was just too uninformed to know how to handle it, and now since I have a head a few years later, it's a totally different experience. I have the impression it's mostly metalheads who have these complains (and I was one years ago as well ) because it's a bit on the loose side.

Nothing a good booster and en EQ in the loop can't solve. I'd recommend you play around with these. It gives really good results and for other people who'd complain about versatility, there you have your versatility. The Legacy takes pedals very well, so you can add all kinds of flavors.

If you really want grinding death metal rhythms, and don't really care for a warm harmonic lead, than I guess one should look at something else

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode