i need an amp suggestion - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-17-2009, 04:23 AM Thread Starter

i need an amp suggestion

i need a new amp cause mine isnt getting the job done.

I want a good all around amp (and headstock), with some okay presets, and some good variety of tones that i can get out of it. Preferably with things like delay, an EQ, and stuff like that on it.

I would like to keep it under 4 or 5 hundred, but if you know of one slightly over, ill still look at it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-17-2009, 05:24 AM

Re: i need an amp suggestion

Quote:
Originally Posted by KOTS144 View Post
i need a new amp cause mine isnt getting the job done.

I want a good all around amp (and headstock), with some okay presets, and some good variety of tones that i can get out of it. Preferably with things like delay, an EQ, and stuff like that on it.

I would like to keep it under 4 or 5 hundred, but if you know of one slightly over, ill still look at it.
hi, if you want a decent sounding combo for under that price the Roland cube 80X is worth taking a look at.

Regards,
Nelson
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-17-2009, 07:31 AM

Reviews: 1

It depends on what type of music you are playing. A good all-around amp with effects is the Marshall MG series 30 or 50 watt combo. In my opinion you'll need at least 50 watts if your playing with a band, but 30 is great for around the house. Fender also has a few combos with your requirements.

There are few all tube amps with built-in effects -especialy in your price range.

~j
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-17-2009, 08:35 AM

Mark V
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-17-2009, 09:43 AM

Reviews: 59

I'd probably recommend staying away from the effects built into the amp. Unless you go higher, they're usually on the cheesy side. The cube is a good series, as is Vox's valvetronix line. Let us know what your current amp is and how it's not getting the job done and we might be able to give you some better feedback.

Yayo, I'd love to know where I could get a Mark V for 4-500 bones.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-17-2009, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smooth55 View Post
I'd probably recommend staying away from the effects built into the amp. Unless you go higher, they're usually on the cheesy side. The cube is a good series, as is Vox's valvetronix line. Let us know what your current amp is and how it's not getting the job done and we might be able to give you some better feedback.

Yayo, I'd love to know where I could get a Mark V for 4-500 bones.
Yeah, me too
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-17-2009, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YaYoGakk View Post
Mark V
this^^^
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-17-2009, 01:45 PM Thread Starter

hi thanks for the responses! My current amp is just a cheap Peavey amp that is having a little trouble with getting decent sounds out of my effect pedals.

My friend just purchased a new amp ( i think he said it was a line 6 spider) and he said he was selling his pedals because this ones built in effect were already really good, and it even had some good presets. I dont need any presets but it doesnt hurt to have.

I play lots of music from jazz to rock to surf to post hardcore to metal lol
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-17-2009, 01:48 PM Thread Starter

also, what company supplies the Mark V im having trouble finding it.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-17-2009, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KOTS144 View Post
also, what company supplies the Mark V im having trouble finding it.
It's made by Mesa... Great amp, no effects but this amp rocks

Regards,
Nelson
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-17-2009, 02:36 PM

The Mark V is 2,000 dollars for just the head. He asked for an amp for under 500.
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-17-2009, 02:37 PM Thread Starter

from what i can tell i doubt ill be able to find one within my price range lol
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-17-2009, 03:14 PM

Reviews: 12

marshalls avt is a good bet, its a nice sounding hybrid amp with a few mild effects built in and will probably grow up with you.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-17-2009, 03:17 PM

Yeah, good luck on the Mark V. If you're looking at stuff like the Spider III's, you'll find comparable stuff with the Cubes from Roland, the Peavey Vypyr series, Vox Valvetronix, Fender Frontman and Marshall MG. The good thing is these amps are usually out in plenty at any guitar center/music store as they are typically the first amps that beginner to early intermediate players purchase. Each will have their own strengths and weaknesses, but you should be able to test one model from each series side by side in most music stores.
Still, if you already have effects pedals, I'd recommend a good cheap tube amp like the Blackstar HT-5 or similar. They don't usually have effects built in but are generally considered to be superior in tone. Individual pedal effects are usually better, more controllable and more flexible than stuff built into the amp, so if you already have some, there's no reason to get rid of them
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-17-2009, 03:19 PM

I forgot to mention that the Blackstar might be unable to do clean sounds at full gig volumes, but there's plenty of other low cost options like the Peavey Valveking that would still fit your budget.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode