I need harmonics - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-05-2003, 03:21 PM Thread Starter

I need harmonics

Okay.... I'm currently using a Fender Deluxe 112. The amp has decent distorted sound, but of course, being a Fender, it's not exactly designed for screaming heavy metal guitar. It does, however, get quite loud, and has a pretty nice crunch to it. The problem is that harmonics on this baby are barely there. I can get natural harmonics quite a bit, but the pinched are very weak. I'm looking for a pedal to drive this thing over the top (not to replace the distortion), add a little extra gain, and make this thing scream. Any thoughts/suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-05-2003, 03:26 PM

I don't want to sound condescending or anything, but have you tried picking harder when you go for the artificial harmonics? I have a DeVille 2x12, and while I generally use a massive sounding distortion pedal, I can usually get them just fine (read= not weak) even when playing clean.

I also use a Tube King, and that sounds pretty nice with the DeVille to add a crunchy boost.

-Ben
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-05-2003, 05:43 PM

I use an Analog Man DS-1/Pro and I love it... you might also consider changing tubes. After I changed tubes in my Legacy head it got all squeely (in a good way )
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-06-2003, 03:00 PM Thread Starter

Well.... it's kinda hard to change tubes in a solid state amp

I haven't tried an Analog Man DS-1, but I have used the stock Boss models, and didn't particularly care for those. (I also tried a few other Boss OD units at the same time)

I'm pretty sure pick attack isn't the issue. I've been able to get harmonics out of other amps, and I have pretty hard pick attack generally speaking. I'll see if I can find a Tube King to test out.
Thanks for the suggestions... any others?
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-07-2003, 03:11 AM

Itīs a little expensive, but my Mesa V1 bottle rocket worths every penny...and screams with harmonics.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-07-2003, 03:48 AM

Sorry, don't know enough about Fender amps to know which ones are tube and which ones are solid state. Btw, the analog man ds-1 sounds absolutely nothing like the Boss DS-1. Much more musical, but they're also much nicer infront of a tube amp. Good luck in your search. IMO, Don't spend too much on a pedal, if you have to do that, it would probably make more sense just to get a new amp.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-16-2003, 11:09 AM

what kind of guitar are you playing,although you have probably considered this before, this can also have a verrry large effect on your ability to produce harmonics according to what p'ups you have
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-16-2003, 12:13 PM Thread Starter

RG520 with V7 and V8...
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-18-2003, 01:44 PM

Reviews: 1
Ya know, I had that same axe and for some reason those pickups were not well suited to the guitar, very uninspiring, yet on my 550 the V8 is a fave !?!? go figure...

I like my TS-808 modded TS-9 tube screamer. (Ibanez)
Its a good push over the cliff when you don't have an amp that goes to 11... It sounds REALLY good alone on a clean channel too, however, I don't use mine as much now with the Triaxis tho

Bamm

Tags
distortion pedal , fender deluxe , heavy metal , solid state amp , tube amp

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode