I need help choosing an amp - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-23-2003, 09:51 AM Thread Starter

I need help choosing an amp

I want an amp that I could use at gigs and home. I want a sound that cuts through the mix easily. I want the amp to be able to sound good at low volume settings.
I can't play a tube amp at home because those amps need to be crancked.
Can I get good tones from modelling amps or ss-amps? I need the presence to cut through the mix that good tube amps posess. (Like the Legacy)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-23-2003, 04:34 PM

I think you are way way way way off base with tube amps having to be cranked up to sound good, unless you're talking about a POS like a Marshall etc...
Any well made tube amp will give you the same great sound at low and high volumes.
Yes... you will get a fatter tone cranked up or at medium volumes once your power tubes get hotter. But like I said, any good tube amp will sound great at low volumes.
Look into:
VHT, Engl, Soldano, Rivera, Cornford, Boogie(some of them) etc... and you'll find the tone you like.
Don't get a FAKE tube amp or hybrid that only has one tube and a solid state power section.
And if you're going with rack stuff avoid ADA MP1 and 2, Digitech, and any other cheap garbage thats sitting in every guitar stores used gear rack collecting dust for the last 10 years.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-23-2003, 04:55 PM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1
The first thing you need to think of is not sound or tone or volume, it's budget. If you've got several thousand dollars to spend on an amp that's one thing, if you've only several hundred that's another.

A lot of people, Gearjunky seemingly included, think that everyone has a lot of money to throw at guitar playing. Some folks don't.

Having said that, the brands he mentions such as Soldano and Rivera do sound superb, and are amoungst the very best in the business, they also come at a price.

For gigs I'd always recommend at least a 50W amp preferably in at least a 2x12 format, I've always had a lot of respect for the Peavey Classic 50, which is a lot of tube amp for not a lot of money. If you need to go louder you can always mike the amp through the PA anyway.

If you need a lot of diverse sounds on a budget, modelling amps are great, but I've heard that they lose character and definition at higher volumes, but I've never tried that out for myself.

The other thing to consider is the format you're after, do you want a head and seperate cabinet? Or a combo? Or a rack setup?

Other than that I'd suggest setting your budget and trying out everything within it.

Good luck with your search
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-23-2003, 05:28 PM

I'm waiting on my Legacy head... I have a Fender Princeton 112, it suits me well for now... but I wanted something better. I've never used a Legacy, I've never tested out a guitar before buying it. I'm more of a "leap of faith (or stupidity)" type of person. There's a thread that explains the difference between amps... a sticky, ain't it?
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-23-2003, 05:43 PM

Not all tube amps have to be cranked to sound good. Again though, your decision is budget based. I am seriously loving my Mesa Nomad 45 2x12. It doesn't have to be cranked to sound good, it sounds great just tweedling in the living room (...it sounds even better when the windows shake and the plaster cracks though!!) I traded my 100watt marshall for it. The marshall was great, but it had to be dimed.....it didn't suit my needs. The mesa fills the bill right now. The rectoverb 50 combo also sounds great, a little less versatile than the nomads, but for its purpose its a solid amp. both are pretty pricey compared to the solid state crowd, unless you are going with a vetta or something like that.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-23-2003, 05:52 PM

Carvin's Nomad and Bel Air Vintage Series combos also seem to get very good reviews for excellent tube tone for the money.

Regardless, you've opened quite a can of worms here.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-23-2003, 07:02 PM

You're in Finland so everything costs like hell anyways. So, keep yer eyes in the second hand market.

I'd try to find a used Mesa .22+ combo. They should go for around 450-700e (x-pensive) where you live. It doesn't need to be cranked, and it sounds good. Cheap to upkeep with the EL84s as well.

Or a Mesa Subway Rocket. Or Peavey Classic 30. Or a small Laney.

Just get a master volume tube combo with 40 watts or less and you'll be ok with volume issues.

Or just skimp on the amp a bit and buy a POD or a Korg Pandora for home use.

I'd say, if you need to cut through the mix live, stay away from SS and modelers. Give many things a listen and decide what feels the best for you. But really, you can't get tube sound from SS. Sorry.

ps. Keep an eye on www.muusikoiden.net. There should be good deals every now and then. Happy hunting!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-23-2003, 07:37 PM

I think Laneys are one the best amps for the buck out there. I use a GH100L and VH100R head they sound pretty good at any level. They are holding me over until I get a Conford

Tags
fender princeton , guitar playing , mesa nomad , peavey classic , rack setup , tube amp , tube amps , tube combo , tube tone

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Similar Searches

People searched for this, also searched for these:

mesa 20/20
mesa f-50 amp
mesa 20:20
mesa f30

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode