I need help choosing a new amp head - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-30-2012, 02:09 AM Thread Starter

I need help choosing a new amp head

Hey everyone, so i have been searching for an amplifier that will give me massive lead tone such as Eddie Van Halens tone on the first VH album, and awesome clean tone like Fender amps. Now, i have played so many amps and tried to find whats best for me, but i cant find an amp or some setup that can give me both the right clean and lead tone. Basically i went and played a soldano SLO the other day and its the best lead tone ive heard so far- however the clean was not to my liking. Its undeiable that Fender makes the best clean basically- so my question is, does anyone have any suggestions about what type of amp i could search for that has remarkable lead and remarkable clean? Soldano leads/rythmns, Fender cleans- my ideal "sound". Maybe i have to A/B? I currently play a Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier, Charvel So cal guitar, and not to many pedals.Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-30-2012, 02:20 AM

Reviews: 2
Re: I need help choosing a new amp head

Laney GH100L, it has a great clean sound, Opeth used them just for their clean sound. If you need more than one channel look into the VH100r which has more features including reverb and a bright switch.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-30-2012, 03:32 AM
Banned

Reviews: 98

Car in Legacy 1 or 2.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-01-2012, 09:56 PM

Reviews: 18

What's your budget?

Jimmy
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-02-2012, 03:59 PM

Reviews: 59

You could always find an amp that gives you the great cleans and just use pedals to get your distortion, or get two amps if your budget will allow (used it definitely the way to go when talking about high quality amps like an SLO). It's always easier to get a good dirty sound from an amp than it is trying to pretty up a lackluster clean. I have yet to find a "perfect amp" that does everything great but my Mesa DC-5 is pretty close to my perfect amp. The graphic EQ on it (and Mark Series amps) makes it quite flexible and versatile.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-02-2012, 04:51 PM

Reviews: 3

id say 6505+. i got mine 2 months ago, great lead/rhythm tone, and decent cleans
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-02-2012, 09:33 PM

Reviews: 6

Peavey 6505+, Carvin Legacy 3, or Mesa Dual Rectifier. All are great higain but I think the Carvin has the best clean.

Tags
amp , tone

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode