I need help with a purchase - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-29-2008, 01:53 PM Thread Starter

I need help with a purchase

Hi all. Iīm new in this forum and it would be great if you could help me decide between some guitars I have seen. Iīm a Heavy Metal player, I play instrumental things also. I was looking for a guitar with high output pickups, a flat neck and a good tremolo because I use sweep picking, tapping and a lot of shred-legato in my playing.

I have about 6 guitars from which I canīt decide which one to take. These are:

1) Ibanez Egen18
2) Ibanez Jem
3) Dean Vinman2000
4) Jackson PC model
5) Jackson RR1
6) Esp Gus G (not LTD)

Well there is one more brand but I donīt know much about it except the excelent reviews Iīve seen on different forums and those are the caparison guitars.

I know some are neckthrough, others are set in and others are bolt on guitars, and Iīm aware of all the "sustain" issues and "prestige" arguments that say that a neckthrough guitar is automatically better that a bolt on guitar. Same with the USA made vs Japan made guitars. I made that list taking into consideration all of these things and the specs and how would the guitar suit my playing, but i need someone who really knows them, know their flaws and if someone played some of these even better.

Basically Iīm looking to spend around 2000-2500 dollars. All of these guitars are in that range but it would be great if you could tell me your experiences with these guitars and maybe tell me if some are overpriced or give me some alternatives. Thanks.

Last edited by MetalIcarus; 11-30-2008 at 09:37 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-29-2008, 09:01 PM

Re: I need help with a purchase

I have a Caparison Horus and it is the best purchase I have ever made I used to go to guitar center and drool over most of their higher end guitars, but now most of the time I play them I rather have my Horus. It took some getting used to the scale length, but the sound is great. I would definitely recommend a Caparison. I haven't played all of the guitars you listed, but based purely on specs I think I rather have a Horus.

So theres my biased opinion
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-29-2008, 09:13 PM

I am going to recomend the Ibanez Jem. I have 2 of them and they are both great guitars. They stay in tune really well even when using the whammy bar. Around here most people will be biased toward the Ibanez guitars.
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-29-2008, 10:10 PM
Banned

I would recommend an RG570 or better RG/Prestige over a JEM at this point. Not that Jems aren't nice. But you can get better value with a Prestige or even RG. In my opinion, One thing to consider about the Jem, it comes with the Vai stigma. It's Vai's guitar. It is a "signature guitar" 1st, and a great shred machine 2nd. Worth a test drive though. But go to guitar center and demo an RG1570.

Looking for 24 frets? Particular tone? There's Petrucci's Music Man to consider as well.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-30-2008, 10:24 AM Thread Starter

Hi, thanks for the answers so far:

@Lifeofsobriety: good to know that. It seems like a great guitar but, as you said: it has 27 frets and I find it a bit odd, I prefer traditional neck scales (24 or 22 frets). I really didnīt know much about these guitars but then I saw the TATII and I flipped out, the only thing that bothered me about it is that some people who owns them or have tried them at music shops said that their necks are a bit thick in comparison with necks like Ibanez Wizards (but almost every neck is thick if you compare it with the wizard).

@dougj7: Yep, if oneīs thing is for sure is that you canīt go wrong with a Jem, I mean itīs been around for more than 20 years and people still keep remembering it and most importantly, they keep buying it. But thatīs why I want to compare a Jem with more modern guitars, to see if the quality and/or craftmanship of these kind of guitars have stayed the same or improved (Or even maybe gotten worse? Experienced players will know I hope).

@Darin: another thing with signature guitars is that no matter which model you choose you will be paying a bit more for just for the name on the headstock. That doesnīt mean you are not buying a top notch guitar but maybe for that same price or even lower there are better alternatives. And another thing, maybe a lot of you will agree with me: Doesnīt it feel a bit akward playing a signature guitar? Like "Oh look at that guy, heīs playing with a Jem, Iīm sure he bought it because he thinks that he can play like Vai if he has his same guitar", perhaps itīs not even necessary to clarify that, I put the egen and the jem on my list because looking at their specs they are really amazing and they gather everything I want on a guitar. But the egen is fairly new, Itīs not even remotely as know as the Jem, and thatīs good for me.

Iīve seen the Egen18 topic in this forum and it surprised me the amount of bad comentaries about it, but the strangest thing was that these "critics" were something like "Itīs something made for Li, thatīs ***" or "Dragonforce songs are played with that guitar, if you buy it you suck" and so on. I hate Dragonforce, really, but I have to give it to Herman: he has come up with a very good instrument, at least on paper.

Regarding the Music Man: It seems like a great guitar, but there is something about the shape (Body and headstock) and the bridge that really draws me away from it, itīs basically a "stetic" issue I have with that guitar and thatīs why Iīm not listing it along with the others.

Iīm really curious about the ESP model or the Vinnie Moore one. Has anyone played them? Or know if they are worth it?
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-30-2008, 12:43 PM

I think the Caparison would be sweet - but about the scale length - they're either 25.5" or 24.75" - same as the usual strat vs. les paul scale lengths. The extra 3 frets are just bonus.

I'd look into the PC1 though - they're some of the nicest guitars I've seen (if you're not diggin the Caparisons). The neck is fatter than a regular Jackson or Ibanez though.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-30-2008, 01:23 PM

Reviews: 1

Hello MetalIcarus - and welcome to Jemsite. You will find excellent info and great people on this site.

All the guitars you listed will work for metal - many people like the Jackson sound which is slightly heavier than the Ibanez for the models you listed. Having said that, I would still recommend the Jem or RG series for this reason: you can get more different tones and even though you are currently into metal your tastes will probably change over time to accept different types of music. The Jem series offers amazing Strat tones, Les Paul-style tones and a host of others. Many of those other guitars you mentioned only offer one sound.
You also need to consider what amp you will be using -don't get a Fender tweed amp if your playing metal!
See you around,

~j
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-30-2008, 01:29 PM

I like the Dean Vinnie Moore signature myself.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-30-2008, 11:09 PM

The caparison neck (at least on the horus) is very comparible to a jackson. However, it feels much more natural to me. Definitely a little thick compared to a wizard, but IMHO that is a good thing
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-06-2008, 08:37 AM Thread Starter

@waylay00:

Have you played it? The Vinman I mean, or do you own one of those? If so how would you compare it to the Egen18 or the PC-1?

@jemaholic:

Last night I was thinking the exact same thing: the RR1 and the Gus G. arenīt very versatile, besides I donīt think they are too much comfortable to play sit down.
Iīm stuck between the Jem and the Egen but thatīs enough for me (Iīll see if Iīm lucky and I can find a Caparison), Iīll go to the shop and decide. About the amp: Iīm going to buy the Jsx combo, Iīve heard itīs a very solid amp and better yet, it sounds good at low volumes, which is great to practice at home.

@Lifeofsobriety and ColinMmmmm:

Do you know where can I find the exact specs of the TATII neck?

Once again, thank you all.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-07-2008, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waylay00 View Post
I like the Dean Vinnie Moore signature myself.
i second this
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-07-2008, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalIcarus View Post
@waylay00:

Have you played it? The Vinman I mean, or do you own one of those? If so how would you compare it to the Egen18 or the PC-1?
Nope, but I've heard one played through an ENGL half stack from about ten feet away and it sounded heavenly.

But of those choices, I think it looks the best too. That's just me though.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-07-2008, 12:05 PM

IMO, the vinman is the only dean guitar id even consider buying. lol. it has everything i want for a shredder style guitar

Tags
egen , gus g , jackson , jem , vinman

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Similar Searches

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode