I need a killer practice amp w/DI out - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-22-2003, 04:04 PM Thread Starter
RGN

I need a killer practice amp w/DI out

I currently have rig that is too large to transport around in my VW. 2 Marshall 4X12 cabs, 2 JCM2000 heads, 1 plexi head, heads, rack w/ G-Force and ADA stuff, Ground Control midi pedal, and other pedals.

My wife works with kids and wants me to play for the kids every once in a while. I need a killer portable amp that also has a DI out for recording. I was thinking about a Line 6. Can anyone suggest anything? Price really isn't that much on an issue. I used to have a Mesa Boogie small amp that was fantastic but I just couldn't get into that Boogie sound. Does Soldano make a small amp?

Throw out some ideas.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-22-2003, 04:23 PM

I'd look into a Johnson Millennium JM150 if you have the means... wide variety of built in tones and effects, and very usable recording outs. I used a JM150 exclusively for several years for gigging (with a couple extension cabs) and recording. Personally, I think the Johnson gear provides a lot more bang for the buck than any of the Line6 gear.

--B
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-22-2003, 11:06 PM

If you want the DI to sound like the amp live, a modeler like the Line6 or Johnson (or SansAmp or Behringer) is a better bet. But if the amp sound is more important and the DI an afterthought, check out other amps.
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-22-2003, 11:21 PM

How about a Line 6 Trademark 10? You can't footswitch the channels, but a lot of people seem to really like them. It's basically a SansAmp with a 10-watt amp and a speaker.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-22-2003, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darren wilson
How about a Line 6 Trademark 10? You can't footswitch the channels, but a lot of people seem to really like them. It's basically a SansAmp with a 10-watt amp and a speaker.
Good call--I had a trademark 10 for a while, and it was awesome. Lots of tone for a 15 lb. 1x8" combo. If you can live without the channel switching, it's a heck of a deal!

--B
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-22-2003, 11:45 PM Thread Starter
RGN

Thanks! I'll check out the Line 6 Trademark 10. Do you think it is loud enough to jam with other people in a house just messing around? I just found out my neighbor plays but am not too excited about hauling a half stack into his living room or using a half stack when this guy is a beginner using a Peavey Backstage Plus.

I was looking at a Dr. Z today. Seems like a nice little amp but expensive. Nice clean channel.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-22-2003, 11:47 PM

Tech 21 NYC actually makes the Trademark 10 not Line 6. Great little amp. If you want a bit more, they have the Trademark 60 as well.

I would also consider a Line 6 Flextone II. They have been going for very low prices since the Flex III came out and it's a lot more amp than the Trademark 10 (4 Channels, FX, 60 Watts, ect) but it's still portable and sounds good at low volumes.

I'd actually avoid the Johnson stuff at all costs, but that's just my taste If you can find a dealer around (They went bankrupt if memory serves me), I'm sure it'd be worth your time to at least demo one and see if you like their stuff.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-23-2003, 01:20 AM

Here's my portable amp suggestion. Carvin X-60 combo. 60 watts - all tube with an accutronics spring reverb and lo-imp pre-amp out connection. Very loud when cranked. Loud enough to gig with. It has a half power switch for bedroom levels.

The lead tones are reminiscent of a hot-rodded JCM800 with the lead drive engaged and a Mesa Mark II with just the lead channel and no drive boost. The clean channel also sounds similar to a Mark II, but is much glassier if you pull the bright switch. The tone controls use active electronics. Bass, Mid, Treble and Presence are flat when set at 5. Go above 5 to boost and below 5 to cut the frequencies. The reverb has a tail-end feature which will let your reverb tail off naturally after you switch it off.

They are set up with 3 - 12AX7's in the preamp and reverb section. The power amp uses 2 6L6 tubes prior to 1986 or 2 EL34's from 1987 until they went out of production. The older models came standard with a 75 watt 12" Celestion. I picked one up for $200 on eBay a couple months ago.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-23-2003, 06:31 AM

Definitely anything by Line6.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-23-2003, 07:55 AM

I saw a Soldano 20 watt head on eBay. Not sure about a small combo, check their website.

... a Soldano so you can play for the kids?

So I checked the website - it's called the "Astroverb" - a 20 watt combo. No mention about direct out.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-23-2003, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Swift
I'd actually avoid the Johnson stuff at all costs, but that's just my taste If you can find a dealer around (They went bankrupt if memory serves me), I'm sure it'd be worth your time to at least demo one and see if you like their stuff.
Actually, Johnson just decided to get out of the amplifer business... they are still producing the J-station.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-23-2003, 09:19 AM

Heh. Some of you guys have a funny idea of what makes a good "practice" amp. A 40-lb 60-watt combo with a 12" speaker isn't exactly a quiet little portable amp.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-23-2003, 09:51 AM Thread Starter
RGN

Yea, I guess anything smaller than a half stack is a practice amp to me. It is pretty tough fitting a half stack into my VW Jetta GLI! I'd even take a 2X12 Combo as a practice amp.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-23-2003, 11:36 AM

How about the new Crate amps with Digital Effects it's pretty cheap, and it has a pretty good sound.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-23-2003, 03:52 PM

I'd recommend a Line 6 Vetta. They have both a head and 2x12 version. If you where able to wait until after this summers NAMN you'll be able to save some money on the current model as they are supposedly releasing a version 2 of the vetta with the new v2 software. Supposedly the current version of the vetta will be updatable to the new release of the software as well. I have a Vetta HD only use the direct outs (waiting until my basement office/studio is done before I order a cab for it). It's worked well for me so far and will hopefully only get better with the new software. Check out the Vetta forum http://www.instituteofnoise.com/foru...asp?FORUM_ID=3 for more info on it.

Tags
darren wilson , extension cab , mesa boogie , mesa mark , midi pedal , power amp , practice amp , spring reverb

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode