I need to know of some good affordable amp heads+speaker ?s - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-19-2003, 07:52 PM Thread Starter

I need to know of some good affordable amp heads+speaker ?s

I currently have a bassman 100 head that I am using for my clean tone..
but my cab is total ****. Its the original 2X15 cab that someone has ported for use with bass. Need I say anymore.

Heres what I have come up with so far... Avatar. Im sure that some of you have heard of them. Anyways.. I was going to go with a 4X12 slanted cab with stereo inputs. One for my clean head, and one for my distortion head. I have already decided to go with Celestion Vintage 30s for the distortion... so here is my question. What Speakers do you guys suggest for clean tone. I just want it to be clear when loud, and be clear throughout all frequencies. I like the fender sound... which my bassman delivers flawlessly... so should I consider jensons? What input do you guys have?

Last but definetely not least.... is the amp head. This heads main purpose will be distortion. I was thinking about one of the Sunn Reissues. What are some more obscure amps that have good tone? I want a unique sound... but I don't want something that nobody uses because it sounds like ****. Definetely tube... and at least 50 watts. Im open to any opinions here. I want to test out as many different amps as I possibly can before I buy one.
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-19-2003, 08:00 PM

What sort of distortion? Super-heavy and chunky or crunchy and bluesy?

The best medium gain tone i've ever heard (and, come to think of it, the best clean tone i ever heard) came out of a Dr. Z head with a Fulltone overdrive hooked up in line. Pushed, the amp gets this great bluesy overdrive- neil Zaza once descrived his as it sounding like "angels flying out of the speakers," and i could do no better myself, and throw the pedal in there and you get this sweet lead tone.

Actually, come to think of it, I'm in the market for a new head too. Ought to call the guy up and ask where he got his, i was thinking more of a "high gain" amp, but that and a great overdrive and i might be better off... the thing sounded glorious.

-Drew
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-19-2003, 08:37 PM

Have you ever heard any Carvin amps? I love my SX50 solid state practice amp, and many Carvinites say that's nothing compared to the MTS or Legacy tube stuff. $600-800 bones.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-20-2003, 07:59 AM

I got my Legacy for $400 off the auction site and a 2X12 cab with greenbacks off of jemsite for $200. After a change of tubes and a THD hotplate, I absolutely love it. To me, I don't think it's functional without the hotplate, because it's SO loud. I simply can't play at those volumes when not gigging... even at gigs, I'd have a hard time justifying going to '2' without the hotplate.

I highly recommend the legacy. Add a DS-1 and it's extremely versitile. I basically have four channels.. clean, clean+ds-1 (blues overdrive), distortion, distortion+ds-1 (liquid lead). Buy a used one, you can't beat it for the price.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-20-2003, 08:25 AM

I would rethink your cabinet arrangement. Instead of a stereo 4x12, look into getting 2 2x12 cabs. Use a closed back cabinet for the distorted tones and an open back cab for the clean tones. That way you could play through both at once (with an ABY switch) and get more distinct tones for each sound your are trying to create. With a stereo 4x12 you'd be compromising one for the sake of the other I feel. Plus, 2x12s are more portable. Mesa makes great 2x12s, as does Carvin, Genz Benz, Bogner, etc...and if your bassman cab works on the clean side then why hassle it.

Regarding heads for distorted tones, its all about what you like tone wise. Mesa's sound tons different than a Marshall or a Legacy. The hotplate recommendation is a must as I see it. I just got one for my modded TSL and the difference is night and day. Another option is to look into amps that have great cleans and great distorted tones. The Marshall TSL has a wonderful clean tone as do most Rivera heads. I play my TSL through a mesa 2x12 and with the hotplate it sounds incredible. I played this weekend and two other guitarists had to play through my amp as well (from other groups) and they commented on how much they loved the tone of the amp.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-23-2003, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Swift
After a change of tubes and a THD hotplate, I absolutely love it. To me, I don't think it's functional without the hotplate, because it's SO loud. I simply can't play at those volumes when not gigging... even at gigs, I'd have a hard time justifying going to '2' without the hotplate.
Hi,
I am looking for a legacy too, what is the Hotplate you are speaking about ? what does it do ? You said it's loud, even if you switch it on the 50W ?
I will be glad if you can send some sounds samples,

thx
fred
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-23-2003, 11:22 PM

The Legacy is extremely loud, even at 50 watts. The THD Hot Plate is a power attenuator that allows you to run the amp at very high volumes (to get power tube distortion) and then the hotplate lowers the sound before it hits your speakers and releases the excess power as heat. They cost about $280.

I will post a clip of my legacy later tonight.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-23-2003, 11:53 PM

Sovtek Mig 60.
Yamaha T100 or T50 (no longer made, eBay on the cheap.)
Roland 120 head. (solid state, able to be manipulated beautifully with effects)

colin
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-24-2003, 12:46 AM

okay, here you go frenchjemlover, I just stuck a mic up to the cab and hit record, so excuse the amature quality of the recording and the playing on it. literally 2 minutes was spent on this.

www.daveswift.net/Legacy.mp3

The first tone you hear is the Clean channel with an Analog Man DS-1/Pro and the second tone is the legacy's drive channel all by itself. Only effect is a line 6 delay pedal in the loop.

Tags
amp head , celestion vintage , clean tone , delay pedal , distorted tone , distorted tones , genz benz , marshall tsl , neil zaza , power tube distortion , practice amp , thd hotplate , tube distortion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode