I need a new.... - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-21-2005, 12:16 AM Thread Starter

I need a new....

I really need a new neck pickup!!!!!

Ok Im putting a Dimarzio X2N in the Bridge position of my Music Man Silhoutte Alder body guitar with a maple neck. I was goin to put in an Air Norton but I really think the X2N will WAY over power it! Plus I have a JPEBMM and that neck pickup is pretty much an AN. All my guitars have diffrent sounds so this is gonna be the high output metal shred machine!

Im thinking maybe a Dimarzio Tone Zone? Anyone use a TZ in the neck? Or have any spasific pickups I should check out?
The neck pickup has to have lots of bass and a good amount of mids and low treble because the MM Silhoutte has a very bright sound and I need to tame it just a tad.

Any recommnedations? I dont want to put actives in the guitar (EMGs or anything like that, gotta be passive) Im set on the X2N for the bridge. So I just need a high output neck pickup
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-21-2005, 10:24 AM

Re: I need a new....

Perhaps look into Dimarzio Super2.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-21-2005, 11:55 AM

what about duncan they make good pickups
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-21-2005, 12:16 PM

You can put the AN in the neck. The X2N will not overpower it if you balance the pup heights. I mean, i put a humbucker from hell in with a X2N before and it balanced. Only gripe would be that when you switch form X2N to neck (AN) there will be a drop in saturation like your gain dropped a notch, but your volume will be the same.

I have tried a Tonezone in the neck of an S520EX... strangely, it wasn't muddy! But BLOOOOODY FAT! I mean, it was like a Les Paul neck tone ... ppl actually complained it sound too fat! haha! But for metal, hell, yeah, it is shredding!

Otherwise, the Super 2 would be nice... very hot and has lots of treble for clarity. Dont'worry, it wouldn't be overkill (treble wise) since you prob tuned your eq to less treble. Expect clarity and muddless neck tone with the Super 2...plus you'll want to shred all day long, like when I tried it out in a BC Rich.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-21-2005, 04:03 PM Thread Starter

I dont want the drop in saturation (well as little as possible.)
I think a tone zone will do that? is the TZ a great shred neck pickup? I play in the styles of Yngwie and Rusty Cooley and John Petrucci, Michael Angelo etc....
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-21-2005, 06:41 PM
Gex

Im gonna say PAF Pro, its the coolest neck pickup ever IMO.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-22-2005, 01:05 AM Thread Starter

I have a PAF Pro in the neck and the bridge of a Music Man Silhoutte and I HATE the way it sounds. Those are the pickups Im looking to change.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-22-2005, 01:10 AM

well, hell i was going to say a paf pro too.

have you used the dimarzio pickup picker yet ?
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-22-2005, 02:07 AM Thread Starter

Yea at least 10 times. I think the Tone Zone is what Im gonna get. Anyone use that one in the neck?
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-22-2005, 12:59 PM

i have had an air zone in the neck of one of my guitars. It was fat thick and smooth.

I'd imagin that the tone zone would be a bit hotter but still be rounded and thick.

Don't expect the tone zone to clean up well at all though . Thats why i got rid of my air zone, i didn't like that i couldn't give it some definition and cut, along withever get a clean i liked.

have you considered a breed ?

Tags
air norton , alder body , bridge position , dimarzio pickup , dimarzio tone , dimarzio tone zone , john petrucci , les paul , maple neck , neck pickup , paf pro , rusty cooley , shred machine , tone zone

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode