I need relevant differences between Legacy cabs before - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-15-2003, 06:33 PM Thread Starter

I need relevant differences between Legacy cabs before

Dear friends: Before I order my new Legacy half stack, I would like to hear any relevant differences between the slant and straight cabs. Like many in this forum, I don't need a 4x12, but I am getting one anyway. Steve Vai seems to use straight cabs on stage and in the studio. Should I just go for the straight cab? Many thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-15-2003, 06:53 PM

Straight is the ONLY way to go, nomatter what brand.
They produce alot more bass, and you can push the speakers more if need be.
They will produce a much thicker sound overall.

NEVER BUY A SLANT.....
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-15-2003, 07:06 PM

Straights look *** in a half stack. BUY SLANT
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-15-2003, 09:03 PM

Unless you are planning on buying both and stacking them, slant cabs are the way to go if you are bullding a half-stack. With straight cabs, the sound won't project at you so you can't hear yourself playing nearly as well as with a slant. Unless you are mic-ing everything or standing 50 feet away from your amp, a slant cab is the way to go. BTW, I prefer the look of straight cabs but for all pratical purposes a slant is the only way to go for a half stack.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-15-2003, 10:10 PM Thread Starter

Well... thanks so far for your inputs on the 4x12 question. I am concerned that the slant cab will be hard on my ears and that I could moniter the impact by moving around my house. I am so torn. Guess I should go into debt and buy both (but that is just stupid) since I'm being so anal about this. Thanks.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-15-2003, 10:43 PM

The speakers make the same noise...just depends on the acoustics of the room and where you stand in relation to the speakers.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-16-2003, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEMavenger
The speakers make the same noise...just depends on the acoustics of the room and where you stand in relation to the speakers.
The cabinet design and geometry has a lot to do with the sound. If you put a great speaker into a crummy cab it will sound bad :P
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-17-2003, 08:37 AM

If you are going to mic it and put it through a PA in a rehearsal space, or jam room, then get the straight. If you are going to keep it in your house to annoy the neighbors, or are going to use it in a jam room with no PA, get an angle cab. They are very directional, where you stand in relation to it will certainly affect how it sounds, but straight cabs always sound more "bassy". If you put it on a stand, however, and bring it up to ear level, it doesn't sound that way any more. Out of personal preference, I say get the angle cab, if you can't talk yourself into getting both.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-17-2003, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeda
Quote:
The cabinet design and geometry has a lot to do with the sound. If you put a great speaker into a crummy cab it will sound bad :P
Interesting...how would a cab made out of pine for example sound compared to a cab made out of MDF? And why exactly is MDF used for so many speaker enclosures (other than it probably sounds good)?
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-17-2003, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Interesting...how would a cab made out of pine for example sound compared to a cab made out of MDF? And why exactly is MDF used for so many speaker enclosures (other than it probably sounds good)?
They use it because it's cheap. Solid wood cabinets are very expensive... cabinets made of good-quality plywood are also pricey. MDF is more glue than wood.

That said, Behringer UltraStack cabs are made of MDF and people rave about the sound. But 110lbs for a 4x12 is pretty hefty.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-18-2003, 11:47 PM

I just got my legacy half stack (slant) set up about a week ago... LOUD. I don't think you'll have any trouble hearing yourself play either way. I live in an apartment, so I can't turn it up much or the neighbor's ears will bleed.

Tags
slant cab , steve vai

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode