I read the wah wah threads.... - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

15Likes
  • 1 Post By chrose1201
  • 1 Post By OCDemon
  • 1 Post By belleswell
  • 1 Post By OCDemon
  • 1 Post By metalhead52
  • 1 Post By satch_jr
  • 1 Post By OCDemon
  • 1 Post By OCDemon
  • 2 Post By Rich
  • 1 Post By OCDemon
  • 2 Post By Ekim
  • 1 Post By OCDemon
  • 1 Post By Formerly Given To Fly

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-12-2017, 11:33 PM Thread Starter

I read the wah wah threads....

But rather than get lost continuing a thread I thought I would burn a couple of electrons and start a new one. I have a Crybaby Classic G3B-95F. What I like about it is it has the classic wah sound and I know its on because I have the click on/off (I used to have one with my Vyper but sometimes I didn't know if it was on or off)
What I don't like is that it is NOISY as hell! Sometimes to the point of unusableness!
I tried a Morley one time and it felt weird without having that click on and the fact that it was in the up position all the time.
I would just like to hear what you guys like and dislike as maybe it's time to dump the Crybaby. (I sent it to the factory years ago for a tuneup because of the noise and while they "fixed" it, it was better but still too noisy.
When it is in the chain and I kick on any effects it buzzes like a yellowjacket. There's no way to be able to use it and get that real quiet tone that other seems to get.
I am using either a Strat or a Jem jr through a Carvin V3m and a Tech21 Fly Rig, and a custom power source from John Nau.
I appreciate your thoughts.
belleswell likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 08:30 AM
Contributor

Re: I read the wah wah threads....

I have a crybaby classic. I have about 5 other dunlop wahs. It was very scratchy through the sweep and for years I was just thinking that's how it is and I didn't use it much. I had a tech clean the pots, it was better for about a week. Then I had someone replace the pot and now it's nice and quiet and it's actually my main crybaby.
belleswell likes this.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 09:23 AM

Reviews: 2

Here are some I have in order of preference. Subjective topic, as everyone has different tastes in what sounds best to them.

1) Wizard Wah by RMC (Geoffrey Teese) This one is my fave for the reason that it does not sound overly shrill in the full toe down position.
The full sweep sounds great to my ears. Also, Wahs are all that Geoffrey does.
2) Wizard Wah by RMC (Geoffrey Teese) Backup for number 1

3) Big Bad Wah by Vox 2 adjustable wahs in one. Allows me to dial back the crispy/shrill toe/down sound that I do not like.

4) Crybaby 535Q by Dunlop I like the adjustable options, but when I dial this back to it's mildest settings, the toe down position
is still to shrill for my tastes.
5) Crybaby's assorted by Vox and Dunlop. I have 4 or 5 of these that date back to my first which I bought in 68'. These were bought over the
years to replace it's predecessor because of scratchy pots. Again, the full toe down position was overly
nasally/crispy/shrill. I found myself not quite flooring the toe down position to avoid this tone, but thinking
about not quite going to the full toe down position, was just one more thing to think about when I was
playing.
6) Bad Horsie Way to crisp for my tastes.

Again, wahs, and the tone one can get from them using them for a full sweep, or just the "sweet spot" can be a very subjective topic. Everyone has
different tastes in what sounds good to them. I plainly do not like the overly crispy, nasally, shrill sounds that so many wahs produce in the full toe down
position. Amps also can affect this and my amp of choice has always been Marshalls. This is why I like the Wizard wah so much. It has a full sweep that is sounds great to my ears.

Here is one that was done with the Wizard wah.
J

https://soundcloud.com/belleswell/18-or-so
OCDemon likes this.

Last edited by belleswell; 05-16-2017 at 09:37 AM.
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 09:26 AM
Contributor

I had Bad Horsie, I never liked the sound. The 535Q was my main wah for about ten years. I used Big Bad Wah for about 3 years from when it was new but then went back to Dunlop. Now my top wahs are Original Crybaby, Crybaby Classic and Crybaby Clyde McCoy Wah. I still occasionally use 535Q and Big Bad Wah for recording but not often. I'm really into the Classic these days
belleswell likes this.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 01:15 PM

Reviews: 1

Just recently got a Morley George Lynch Dragon Wah II. Really digging this wah pedal. Also has a switch that you can set to a particular frequency and switch it on or off at will. Just like stopping the sweep mid pedal. Awesome sound out of it.
belleswell likes this.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 02:02 PM

Reviews: 6

I own an GCB95 cry baby since the nineties, I tweaked the frequency response, the gain, etc and ended up with I don't even remember which values on which circuit but the sound is the sound I like. BTW, I also modified the PCB to remove the buffer when not engaged, and added a LED when the wah is on.
I must say I never really tried any other one but as long as I'm satisfied with this one, I'l keeping it with me!
belleswell likes this.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 02:05 PM
Contributor

I own two original crybabys, two 535Qs, the classic, the clyde McCoy and the Big Bad Wah. I prefer original, classic and clyde. I however have never changed my settings on the 535Q (voice 4) maybe if I backed it off a bit I would like that as well. Big Bad Wah isn't bad but wasn't right for me in the end
belleswell likes this.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 02:05 PM
Contributor

However Big Bad Wah has the most footswitchable options. I wish the Crybaby sound was in the big bad wah housing with those four tonal options
belleswell likes this.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 02:06 PM
Vendor

My Thomas Organ Cry Baby is the best wah I ever heard, and why I still have it.
belleswell and OCDemon like this.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 02:08 PM
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
My Thomas Organ Cry Baby is the best wah I ever heard, and why I still have it.
I don't buy pedals that only take batteries. Otherwise I'd get one of the old ones. I can't tolerate batteries. I need a power supply.
belleswell likes this.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 07:56 PM

Reviews: 4

The BAD HORSIE seems like it would be okay for super-compressed Vai-ish tones and that's about it.

So does that make it a one-trick PONY?

I love my Vox Satch BIG BAD WAH. I found a good deal on a clean used one and snatched it right up. It sounds great and is very versatile.

I still want to try the 535Q though.
belleswell and OCDemon like this.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 07:59 PM
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ekim View Post
The BAD HORSIE seems like it would be okay for super-compressed Vai-ish tones and that's about it.

So does that make it a one-trick PONY?

I love my Vox Satch BIG BAD WAH. I found a good deal on a clean used one and snatched it right up. It sounds great and is very versatile.

I still want to try the 535Q though.
535Q is the most options per one wah, big bad wah being second best in that regard. From the ones I've used at least
belleswell likes this.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 02:04 AM

I use a Crybaby 95Q. The major features are as follows:
- Auto-Return of "switchless" as most people call it.
- Switchable/Adjustable +18 Gain Boost (I turn this all the way up and leave it on all the time.)
- Q control (I have it set "wide open" so that you get the most wahiness possible.)
- Secret Feature - It is not really a secret, but I do not think it's in the manual and Dunlop never mentions it. There is an internal trim pot that controls how quickly (or slowly) the wah engages and disengages. I have it set for the quickest engagement/disengagement possible.

It is a fun pedal!
belleswell likes this.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 09:17 AM

Reviews: 2

I watched some nice reviews of the Dunlop JP95 (Petrucci signiture wah) that sound great. As well, Geoffrey Teese's RMC 8 wah
has a fully adjustable EQ with 5 sliders that looks interesting for my tastes. His RMC 10 also sounds great.
Jeff

Dunlop JP95
RMC 8

RMC 10

Tags
wah wah

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode