I Thought I Loved Line6 Before - New Perspective On Tone - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-25-2003, 09:03 PM Thread Starter

I Thought I Loved Line6 Before - New Perspective On Tone

I used to think I'd need a half-stack at least to sound decent, and always had minor issues with my Flextone II being too bassy when cranked louder than bedroom volume (yes, I had some complaints with it, hense why I really really wanted a Vetta or something newer to see if they were any better), but I got bored today and decided to try and emulate a sound I really love: Three Days Grace's live tone. It's simple enough, on the surface. Loud, aggressive rock tone, yes? No. They have a great sound because they have the guitars running with less bass than I would have expected, and work with the bassist's sound (much louder than most other bands, and a good thing IMHO) to create that heavy tone. The guitars' sound isn't very heavy on its own, but as a band they're brutal So I began experimenting with the bass setting on my Flextone II, and came up with a decent tone, but it didn't quite sound right...until I turned my amp's master volume up slightly (from just below 3, to right on 3, BIG difference in volume), or a lot (up to 5 in my experimentation), and that's when it just came alive. I fell in love with this tone I was getting, it was perfect With my Squier Strat, or my Schecter 7-string, it was great

So now I have a new live sound, I just need to find a way to get this amp to sound like that at lower volumes But at least I now know I don't need a huge amp to have huge tone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-25-2003, 11:58 PM

try turning your gain down too, while you're at it .. the sound tends to 'breathe' a lot better

~A
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-26-2003, 03:03 AM

I've read somewhere that if you increase the gain, you get more bass, if you crank up an amp you get more bass. So turning the gain up at lower settings will get that lower end back a little. Turning up the volume and lowering the gain will let it "breath" a little more per anuj said before me. Also check to see if the mid knob effects the bass at all. I found that when I turn my amp up it gets this ear piering sound and all I did was found out I had WAY too much mids in my sound.
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-26-2003, 08:34 AM Thread Starter

Well, I need the full gain going for this setting It almost doesn't sound like enough gain to my ears, but it sounds great in a mix. But yea, I've got a few settings with lowered gain that sound great. And about the mids, they're not the problem, what is a problem is that I lose a lot of highs when I turn the master volume down below 3.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-26-2003, 10:22 AM

This is a pretty common issue. Any amp/speaker combo behaves differently as the amp gets more saturated at high volume and the speakers start to push more air.

Maybe you can create two duplicate banks of patches, one with the EQ settings optimized for low volume, and the other optimized for high volume.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-26-2003, 12:34 PM

I have heard that at lower volumes the mids are more easily heard by the ear than the other frequencies. Naturally, you turn up the bass and high to compensate. As you get to 90db's, the ear's perception changes. All frequencies are now heard more equally, so the way you set the amp for low volumes now sounds too bassy and trebly. Make some patches for low volumes and some for loud volumes.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-26-2003, 05:40 PM Thread Starter

Yea, I am making separate patches for low and high volume, my problem is I can't get anything that sounds even remotely like my high volume patches at low volume. It's not too bassy (it's actually bassier at high volume), and there's too *little* treble.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-26-2003, 09:45 PM

well, you need to NOT trust your ears when it comes to the amount of gain you think you need from your amp. unless you're just playing solo without any other instruments.. and even then the less muddy the better. in the overall mix/sound of your band, less is more is generally quite true for gain. this is why you should probably use some sort of gain boost (ds-1, ts-9, your distortion or gainboost pedal or choice) for solos and other such moments.

sounds MUCH better to a listener than the indistinct muddiness that ultra-high gain tends to bring with it.

~A
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-27-2003, 07:01 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by anuj
sounds MUCH better to a listener than the indistinct muddiness that ultra-high gain tends to bring with it.
You must have missed my description of this tone: Not muddy/bassy at all. Has enough bass for warmth, but that's it.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-27-2003, 11:57 AM

Ahh, we're making progress, TwoHands. You've learned that volume=good. Now, we just gotta get you to do the same thing with a good tube head, and you'll be hooked.

Sorry man, can't resist baiting you. The Line6 guys really need to hurry up and bite the bullet and offer you an endorsement. god knows you talk them up enough here.

-D
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-27-2003, 09:12 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew
Sorry man, can't resist baiting you. The Line6 guys really need to hurry up and bite the bullet and offer you an endorsement. god knows you talk them up enough here.
I wish

Tags
boost pedal , squier strat , tube head

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode