I tried a rebel 30 today - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-31-2009, 03:21 AM Thread Starter

I tried a rebel 30 today

Gc got an egnater rebel 30 in today.I've been using a rebel 20 since last year for rehearsals and can't say enough good things about it.The only thing it lacked was a clean channel.The rebel 30 has an awesome clean channel and the distortion channel can do classic rock to newer metal sounds.The onboard reverb is really good sounding, a pleasant surprise.It has independent reverb knobs for each channel.It was the 1x12 version and it probably weighs close to 40lbs.This amp is really loud, perfect for gigs with a small stage.I brought it home and unplugged the stock speaker and plugged it in to my bogner 4x12.Instant gratification! played for several hours.I then used the stock speaker and a rebel 1x12 extension cab.This also sounded very gratifying.I didn't like the rebel 20 with the 1x12.The 30 must be voiced a little different.Long story short.I'm keeping it.I haven't had a chance to a/b with the rebel 20 yet.It also has a direct recording out.I'll put a gmajor in the loop for effects and to program a boost for solos.It will be a small yet versatile rig for smaller gigs.I was able to get decent sounds at low volume for the bedroom by dialing the watts down to 1 and barely touching the volume.At 899.00 one might argue that there are many amps in this price range that can do similar.To my ears it was money well spent.I was going to wait for the renegade head to come out, but I came across a suhr custom audio pt100 and never looked back.Although the pt100 is quite expensive, it is my ultimate full size head.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-03-2009, 11:47 AM

Reviews: 59
Re: I tried a rebel 30 today

Sounds great. I've been really interested in this thing as a do-all amp that could handle bedroom, recording and small gigging responsibilities. I'd like to know a bit more about the lower volume stuff since I do most of my playing in the basement. I don't want whisper quiet, but I'm looking for something that sounds good at talking to shouting levels that is still able to crank up to gig volumes. Let us (and by us I mean me) know what you think when you've had a bit more time to put it through its paces with all your stuff.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-30-2009, 08:14 PM Thread Starter

I ended up returning it.I didn't need a combo as I have 4x12 cabinets at home, studio and rehearsal.There was something in the gain structure I couldn't get along with.It wasn't articulate enough for me.Not bad by any means, just not for me.I have heard a preamp tube change would take care of what I was hearing.I tried a renegade and heard the same thing.Must be the stock preamp tubes.I'm sure with a little experimenting I could of come closer to what I wanted.Its still a great value and I may spend time with one in the future but I was running close to the 30day return deadline.It did sound good at the volume you were referring to.I would try one in person as everyones ears are a little different.
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-31-2009, 10:14 AM

That's unfortunate. I'll still plan to try one of these out but it's looking less and less like I'll find a great home/recording amp that will also be a good to great gigging amp at less than $1000 and reasonably easy to carry around...
Have you gone back to the Rebel 20 or are you trying any other heads out?
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-31-2009, 01:36 PM Thread Starter

Using the rebel 20 for rehearsal.The custom audio for everything else.I spent some time on an axefx recently.A friend has had one for about a year.He has it dialed in finally and it really impressed me.He has been using it for gigging exclusively.Keep in mind he has been through an impressive array of amps ,most of which he still has.But prefers the axe.I may end up going that route in the near future.Sometimes I wonder why I spend so much money and time tone chasing.Most non-musicians don't notice tone as much as we do, they listen to the music itself.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-31-2009, 02:38 PM

It's so true, non-guitarists hear clean and distortion at loud or not as loud volumes...and yet our search continues. I've only ever heard fantastic things about the axefx but it's a bit cost prohibitive for me and all the lesser modelers can't get the job done. Oh well, I'll still give the Rebel 30 a go when I get the chance along with a handful of other feature-promising amps in the same price-range.

Tags
rebel 30

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode