I want to build an amp cabinet - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-01-2011, 11:28 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 13
Smile I want to build an amp cabinet

I want to build an amp cabinet. I want to do this on a budget as well. I want to gear it towards my Line 6 HD500. It has MIDI output (L & R) and I can also use the standard 1/4 inch jack as well. I'm still learning this pedal, but for now, I'd like to have the option to use either MIDI or 1/4 jack for L/R.

I need to know what tools I will need (or need access to) and I'd also like to know what kind of would I should use. I'm in the market for some nice speakers (not overly expensive) and some nice wood.

I have never done this, but I want to do it so bad. To give you an idea, I'm a husband and father of 2 and they come first, so I can only do this a piece at a time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-02-2011, 12:38 AM

Re: I want to build an amp cabinet

Most high quality amp and speaker cabs are built from Marine grade baltic birch plywood.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-02-2011, 01:15 AM
Banned

Reviews: 64

A cab is just a box of wood so I don't see any kind of difficult about making one.
No matter what kind of BS companies say, the majority of cabs are made with cheap wood.
I made 2 ADA(stereo) copy cabs around 1995, I copied its dimensions from a magazine, cut its parts, glued and some screws to keep everything in place.They looked exactly like the original.
The only difficult was my parents telling me to turn the volume down all the time

Tools?
You don't know what tools you need to make a box?!
You need to cut, drill some screw holes and glue.
Plus things like a grill, feet and those things to carry it(I don't know their name in english).

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-02-2011, 01:52 AM
Banned

Reviews: 98

First--it's just a cabinet, so MIDI inputs don't apply here. Wire it for stereo with 2 1/4" jacks.
http://www.colomar.com/Shavano/construction.html

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-02-2011, 09:57 AM

Reviews: 11

theres more to it then just slapping a box together guys.

Theres critical volume ratio to keep in mind as well. Some math and stuff, etc.

Denser the material wood, the better the sound, but obviously, the heavier it gets.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-02-2011, 12:07 PM

I made sealed oversized 212 cab from 15mm mediapan, and it sounds great, a lot of volume, great punch in bass, nice middle and rounded treble, no ear-punching trebles. There are two Celestion Classic lead 80's inside. The only "negative" thing about this cab is - it's pretty heavy. But the sound from it is great! I have another 212 "regular" cab with sealed back (this one I bought, didn't built it myself), but there's two vent holes in front, between speakers, and it doesn't handle louder volumes as good as my cab. In this one are two Celestion G12T-75, and they tend to break up sooner than CL80's on clean channel (I've got Laney LC30 converted to head) of the amp.
If you want cab to have volume, increase depth of the cab. I've seen 212 cab of standard height and length, but of almost a twice od depth as a standard Marshall cab, and it sounds like 412 cab.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-07-2011, 04:08 AM

Reviews: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6fingers View Post
Plus things like a grill, feet and those things to carry it(I don't know their name in english).
agreed with most of what you said. and just to help out a bit, that word is "handle"
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-06-2011, 10:18 AM Thread Starter

Reviews: 13

This is all awesome info. I'm saving money to start building. I can't wait.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-08-2011, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by linuxpenguin View Post
theres more to it then just slapping a box together guys.

Theres critical volume ratio to keep in mind as well. Some math and stuff, etc.

Denser the material wood, the better the sound, but obviously, the heavier it gets.
i beg to differ.... guitar cabs have no need for critical volume ratio's... he is not building a tuned cab. he is building a guitar cab.

dude you need to research this on the internet. I designed a detuned 2x12 cab and built it out of flamed maple and voidless baltic birch for the baffle.

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-08-2011, 06:44 PM

i designed my cabs to have fairly flat response, since i was going to be using a modeller like you, i knew that the best sound these things have is direct like into a PA (lots of trial and error here). however everytime i would use my modeller direct i would get a hiss that i didnt care for. the best that it ever sounded was going into a power amp then into a guitar cab, since the 12 inch speaker in the guitar cab does not emphasize the highs or the very lows. guitars are by their nature mid range instruments. thats why they always sound best through 12's. also you dont want alot of speaker distortion. that is why i went with a speaker that had 150 watt power handling. i ended up with the eminence legend modelling 12. they no longer make these. PS your midi has nothing to do with anything you are doing.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-08-2011, 06:47 PM

i also invested in a book called London power diy speaker cabs for musical instrument applications. by kevin o'connor. lots of theory and even some plans. great read. you should check it out.

use voidless baltic birch plywood at minimum for the baffle.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-10-2011, 10:08 PM

Reviews: 4
Interesting. I've been wanting to hear a 15" guitar cabinet, but I don't think anyone makes them.

Thanks for linking to that book. $19 ain't bad if it helps me get what I want for cheap.

EDIT: Oops. Looks like Fender makes a Twin Custom with a 15" speaker.

Last edited by Ekim; 06-10-2011 at 10:24 PM.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-10-2011, 11:34 PM

Reviews: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ekim View Post
Interesting. I've been wanting to hear a 15" guitar cabinet, but I don't think anyone makes them.

Thanks for linking to that book. $19 ain't bad if it helps me get what I want for cheap.

EDIT: Oops. Looks like Fender makes a Twin Custom with a 15" speaker.
Vader also make cabinets which have 15" speakers.

Tags
build , cab

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode