I want a decent amp! - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-15-2003, 10:52 PM Thread Starter

I want a decent amp!

I want an amp with a tone like vai in PAW and alien love secrets, basically a nice smooth lead sound BUT at living room volumes only which is where i am struggling to find any thing, any help would be very helpful, thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-16-2003, 12:18 AM

Ummmm..... whats your budget?
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-16-2003, 06:55 AM

Carvin Legacy.
post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-16-2003, 11:53 AM

I'm happy with my Peavey Prowler, sounds decent when quiet, better when cranked of course, but for low volume it does pretty well.
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-16-2003, 01:16 PM

I mentioned this in another topic, but the cornford harlequin really rocks, and as it is only 6 watts you can drive it hard without the need to wear ear plugs!!!
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-16-2003, 01:29 PM
EKG

I'm using a Legacy half stack with a THD HotPlate attenuator....AWESOME!

Maybe a Carvin X100 would be good...fair price ;-)
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-16-2003, 02:04 PM

Re: I want a decent amp!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mingincorn
I want an amp with a tone like vai in PAW and alien love secrets, basically a nice smooth lead sound BUT at living room volumes only which is where i am struggling to find any thing, any help would be very helpful, thanks in advance.
Bogner Ecstacy or Egnater TOL100 or modded Marshall (or all of them together if you've got money) + attenuator (WEBER MASS or Hot Plate).
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-17-2003, 01:00 AM

Bedrock!
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-17-2003, 01:17 AM

Mesa Dual or triple rectifier!!!

end game!
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-17-2003, 09:52 AM

Why does everyone omit the Flextone II or the vetta . Great sound and it can emulate most anything!

I just downloaded a patch for FTLOG and it is spot on. Plus you can hook into your computer and deep edit to really get some cool sounds.

Todd
post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-17-2003, 11:58 AM

There's a few people round these here parts who would debate that. Put the seetings for FTLOG into a Marshall/Bognor/Egnater/MesaCarvin/Laney/.... and it would sound better
post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-18-2003, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Globbits
There's a few people round these here parts who would debate that. Put the seetings for FTLOG into a Marshall/Bognor/Egnater/MesaCarvin/Laney/.... and it would sound better
Amen
post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-18-2003, 03:55 PM

I don't get it, why does everyone bash Line6? For what they do, no one does it better. The Vetta is amazing. Yeah, it's not gonna get perfect tube sound, but a tube amp can't get you the FTLOG sound, the Master of Puppets tone, a nice bluesy tone, and about 5 different clean tones. It'll give you it's own signature sound, and that's it. Yes, for that sound it'll sound better, but only by a bit, and besides, I like the sound of my Flextone II. I'd prefer a Vetta, but what are ya gonna do? I need all those different patches, I've used almost all 36 preset spaces, and I use each patch frequently. For my own songs, and for the band I'm in. Plus, it doesn't take a load of knob cranking to switch between them. I'm sorry, but I like the variety.
post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-18-2003, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two hands31
but a tube amp can't get you the FTLOG sound, the Master of Puppets tone, a nice bluesy tone, and about 5 different clean tones.
Well, guess what, none of Line 6 gear will, either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two hands31
It'll give you it's own signature sound, and that's it.
For most of us this is the most desirable goal. I'd love to have my own easily recognizable tone which I could tweak to handle both FTLOG and blues, and it would still retain its recognizability and character. Unfortunately it's hard to achieve it no matter what gear you use. For the most part the signature tone is in your head and hands, and amps are pretty much the same.
post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-18-2003, 07:09 PM

Quote:
signature tone is in your head and hands
I don't put as much stock into that belief as some people. Sure, if Vai played through a Pignose, you would here his quirks, style, etc come through well. But it would sound like crap to me because I hate the way those sound. Your hands won't make an old Fender tube amp sound like a saturated Mesa Boogie at 10 either. Amps play a HUGE part in tone.

Tags
bogner ecstacy , clean tone , death metal , egnater tol , mesa boogie , mesa dual , modded marshall , pod pro , thd hotplate , triple rectifier , tube amp , tube amps

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Similar Searches

People searched for this, also searched for these:

is pod pro decent?

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode