I want a simple recording rig - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-13-2011, 11:24 AM Thread Starter

Reviews: 11
I want a simple recording rig

Ryc, you posted something up, and I dont know what happened to that link... so please post again!

What I need -> software and hardware to record my guitar

Whats it for -> practice and simple recording sessions

What I'd like it to have -> EQ function, IO control, it can be a modeller if it works.

And then I want a program that will allow simple editing (dubbing tracks, clipping, fade in/out) NOT protools, I have no use for something that serious.

Dont want pro level gear, just something that will get me a decent tone into my computer.

thanks!

p.s. I remember seeing an external recorder type thing, anyone know what Im talking about? Think "walkman" designed for guitars.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-13-2011, 11:39 AM

Re: I want a simple recording rig

Reaper

Anything by MOTU for an AI, but really there are hundreds of good interfaces out there. Just don't waste your money on a tone port.

You'll also need monitors...
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-13-2011, 12:01 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 11

Im not gonna lie, I have no clue what you just said to me lol
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-13-2011, 12:09 PM
Banned

Reviews: 98

Reaper is free!
I like my Yamaha Audiogram--it comes with Cubase.

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-13-2011, 12:15 PM

Actually, Reaper is $60, but they allow you to break the user agreement and keep using it after the 30 day trial with no penalty.

MOTU is a brand or AI I have good experiences with and they are very affordable (relatively speaking). The Line 6 Tone Port is cheaply made, low spec, and I would not recommend anyone waste their money on it. Much better can be had for the same scratch.

You will need monitors.
If you are really interested in this, go read this bout nine times, best resource on the net.
http://www.tweakheadz.com/guide.htm
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-13-2011, 01:44 PM

Which tone port are you referencing? I am going to guess you mean the ux1 or ux2? Although I found the ux2 was ok but over priced, I am very very happy with my UX8 and would hardly consider it to be cheaply made. But the UX8 tone port is over kill for what this particular person is interested in doing, I was just curious as to which model you were slamming.

Second on Reaper, the program is super easy to use, and free if you can be cold hearted and decline the prompt everytime you open the program. Doesn't have the ability to do pro mastering.. but it would get you by and the price is right!

[quote=musikron;1101585]Actually, Reaper is $60, but they allow you to break the user agreement and keep using it after the 30 day trial with no penalty.

MOTU is a brand or AI I have good experiences with and they are very affordable (relatively speaking). The Line 6 Tone Port is cheaply made, low spec, and I would not recommend anyone waste their money on it. Much better can be had for the same scratch.

You will need monitors.
If you are really interested in this, go read this bout nine times, best resource on the net.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-13-2011, 01:49 PM

Just the tone port in general. The components in that piece of gear are all bottom of the barrel, made in China junk. On paper they look okay, but in the real world, there are MUCH better buys out there. Any time you can get better quality for a lower or equal price is a no brainer to me.

Tags
recording

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode