Ibanez premium tremolo - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-30-2017, 09:59 AM Thread Starter

Ibanez premium tremolo

I have an ibanez rg950 and I love everything about it except the trem and I am wondering if there are any other terms that I could put in that would fit. Eg edge trem, floyd or something along those lines, because I took measurements off of one of my jsí which has an edge and it looked as if it wouldnít fit so has anyone else done something like this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-30-2017, 12:37 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
Re: Ibanez premium tremolo

see thread below that was long overdue...
http://www.jemsite.com/forums/f21/fl...ad-157993.html

good luck
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-31-2017, 04:17 AM Thread Starter

Is there any way I could change the stud space on my zero ii? Also what the difference between a zr2 and a zero ii trem?
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-31-2017, 12:21 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1

ZR uses the roller cam not 2-stud pivot system like your edge zero II. Anything can be changed but the amount of work would cost more than the value of the guitar and require refinishing the body. If you don't like the trem and can't come to like it really just sell the axe.

I'd be curious what you don't like about the trem & if user setup/error is a factor. I'm not in the fanclub but some ibaenz enthusiasts like these trems.

Too bad a service like reverb didn't collect & publish exit interviews for private sellers "list top-3 reasons why you are selling this guitar". It would remove a lot of speculation as to how these lesser (and incompatable with everything else) trems cause people to dump guitars such as yours. Good luck!
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-31-2017, 04:54 PM
Vendor

The EZ/EZ2 and ZR/ZR2 are fully interchangeable with each other.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-31-2017, 06:59 PM
Vendor

Strike that.

Any ZR will fit the EZ rout, pretty much perfectly. The EZ is a little longer than the EZ2, I'm not positive the ZR will fit the EZ2 rout. Some guitars will take an EZ and some won't. I'm not positive of the length of the ZR, but everything else about it will fit the EZ2 rout and stud spacing.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-01-2018, 02:32 PM Thread Starter

I donít like the fact I have to constantly have to tighten up the arm and how hard it is to push the bridge down. Iíve tried adjusting it at the back before you guys say that and no Iím not taking out the zero system.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-06-2018, 06:39 AM

I fixed the arm on mine by putting a bit of electrical tape on it before inserting now it does stay nice and tight more like Edge/Low Pro Edge and Edge Pro.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-06-2018, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemsite View Post
ZR uses the roller cam not 2-stud pivot system like your edge zero II. Anything can be changed but the amount of work would cost more than the value of the guitar and require refinishing the body. If you don't like the trem and can't come to like it really just sell the axe.

I'd be curious what you don't like about the trem & if user setup/error is a factor. I'm not in the fanclub but some ibaenz enthusiasts like these trems.

Too bad a service like reverb didn't collect & publish exit interviews for private sellers "list top-3 reasons why you are selling this guitar". It would remove a lot of speculation as to how these lesser (and incompatable with everything else) trems cause people to dump guitars such as yours. Good luck!

This is why I am afraid to get a premium over a prestige in my area some Premiums cost more than some Prestige guitars particulary the RG14XX line like the RG1450.

I hear a lot of good reviews with the Edge Zero 2. but at the same time some people who are already used to the Edge Pro say they don't like it and I have been using an Edge Pro since 2010, and considering the price I will be really sad if I ended up not liking the E.Zero 2.

I have a new RG655 and I love the feel of the trem and some say it should last longer than the Edge Zero 2, so I might stick to Edge or lo pro or Edge pro even though it may have a problematic arm bushing system. It seems the arm holder on the EZ2 is better and easier to maintain.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-06-2018, 08:02 AM

The Edge Zero 2 is very common on many models these days so it shouldn't be too hard to find a guitar with one to try it first.

I now have guitars with original Edge, Low Pro Edge, Edge Pro and now EZ2 and don't find the differences that great overall when playing. My favourite would be the Low Pro Edge as it feels the most transparent under the wrist and is what I owned first and only that for many years so is just familiar.

The Edge Pro which I had the stud mod done on just in case is very similar and even lower profile, the differences are more apparent when restringing/tuning then playing to me.

EDIT: I do prefer the arm system on the Edge/Low Pro Edge/Edge Pro because I now prefer the new carbon arms over the metal ones. The bushes aren't a problem as I normally just use the heating them up trick if they get loose so still have spares - the lighter arms don't wear them as fast anyway.

Last edited by Mattww; 01-06-2018 at 08:07 AM.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-06-2018, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattww View Post
I fixed the arm on mine by putting a bit of electrical tape on it before inserting now it does stay nice and tight more like Edge/Low Pro Edge and Edge Pro.
Quote:
The Edge Zero 2 is very common on many models these days so it shouldn't be toohard to find a guitar with one to try it first.

I now have guitars with original Edge, Low Pro Edge, Edge Pro and now EZ2 and don't find the differences that great overall when playing. My favourite would be the Low Pro Edge as it feels the most transparent under the wrist and is what I owned first and only that for many years so is just familiar.

The Edge Pro which I had the stud mod done on just in case is very similar and even lower profile, the differences are more apparent when restringing/tuning then playing to me.

EDIT: I do prefer the arm system on the Edge/Low Pro Edge/Edge Pro because I now prefer the new carbon arms over the metal ones. The bushes aren't a problem as I normally just use the heating them up trick if they get loose so still have spares - the lighter arms don't wear them as fast anyway.
Thank you for the insights,

I prefer the Edge because the bridge is similar to the original floyd rose where the tail is up high and I love banging my hand on that tail!.

I do have a question how fast did the arm on the EZ2 got loose? In my Edge pro it only took like two weeks of playing and I already needed to replace the bushings.

I would assume in the case of the EZ2 since you can physically tighten it with the torque adjustment it will last much longer and can just be easily re tighten instead of buying and replacing bushings.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-06-2018, 08:21 AM

As standard I found there was movement in the socket on the EZ2 even with the torque cap tightened.

The cap just kept the arm in a fixed position when tightened.

For dive bombs it felt OK but there was some play before pull ups and I hate any kind of wobble in the arm socket - I like even the slightest touch of the bar to have a direct effect on the bridge myself.

This is what the electrical tape solved for me, up or down now has a direct effect and there is no wobble. With the cap tightened I don't really need to touch it.

I guess if I regularly spun the arm around in circles I might but really I normally only move it a small amount just out of the way when not in use (i.e about parallel to the strings to pointing at the floor).
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-27-2018, 04:29 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
As standard I found there was movement in the socket on the EZ2 even with the torque cap tightened.

The cap just kept the arm in a fixed position when tightened.

For dive bombs it felt OK but there was some play before pull ups and I hate any kind of wobble in the arm socket - I like even the slightest touch of the bar to have a direct effect on the bridge myself.

This is what the electrical tape solved for me, up or down now has a direct effect and there is no wobble. With the cap tightened I don't really need to touch it.

I guess if I regularly spun the arm around in circles I might but really I normally only move it a small amount just out of the way when not in use (i.e about parallel to the strings to pointing at the floor).
How much electrical tape did you use?
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-27-2018, 05:09 AM

Not much - just one wrap around the bottom of the arm before fitting it.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-28-2018, 05:51 AM Thread Starter

Tried that even with the thinnest amount the arm doesnít fit in the socket

Tags
edge , floyd rose , gotoh , premium rg , trem

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode