Ibanez Talman (Electric/1990s series) Hard Case? - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-12-2011, 08:33 PM Thread Starter

Question Ibanez Talman (Electric/1990s series) Hard Case?

Hi, i've had an Ibanez Talman for coming up to two years now. It's the 'TC' discontinued model, so an electric, not the modern acoustic ones that are still being made under the same name. It's TC740, for anyone interested in the specifics, and I've learnt pretty much everything I know about Talmans from the few websites dedicated to these guitars (especially grateful to a guy called Bill).

Google images: Talman TC740.

Anyway, what was a near pristine, 10+ year old guitar when I bought it second hand is now becoming dinked about due to gigging/carrying in padded soft case. I have literally scoured the internet and come across so many 'sold with hard case' adverts going back years, and yet they're often unbranded cases, and I'm totally at a loss as to how to get one that fits the guitar.

I love the guitar. If anyone owns a talman, it is quite literally a unique and wonderful guitar. I'm not going to go into that too much. Hopefully you guys are far bigger experts than me. And that's what I'm hoping for. Does anyone know, if they used to own a talman or otherwise, a specific hard case that fits the guitar? Is there a dedicated 'Ibanez' one, or will I have to just chance across one that fits in some music shop?

I should say btw that I have tried every local music store within a 30 mile radius, and none of their generic hardcases fit the guitar, at least, don't fit well enough that I'd be happy to spend 50 in the knowledge that the guitar is rattling around, poorly protected, in a badly fitted case.

I really would appreciate any help whatsoever on this. I'm about to go off to uni, and there is no way I'd take it without a case. The closest I have come was to find the 'Noodles Signature NDM2' case; it's a Talman, I assume some of you guys are familiar with it.

The case's serial number is 'NDM1000C'. It seems to be the exact thing I'm looking for, and around the same price as the common Ibanez 'M100C' case, 85-90.

I'm in the UK and, as I said, this is the closest thing I've found. Due to location, sourcing the case has been impossible. I'm a student, and I'm not willing to get a case shipped halfway around the world at half the cost of another decent second hand guitar. The case seems to be even more rare than the guitars itself, which only pop up online at about the rate of one every two to four months!

As I said, any help would be absolutely great. Cheers!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-15-2011, 10:53 AM

Re: Ibanez Talman (Electric/1990s series) Hard Case?

When I bought my Talman I got this type of case with it:

Now, it does not have an Ibanez logo on it, but I suspect these are in fact the cases Ibanez used with at least some of their axes back in the day. Maybe someone can confirm this, but for my part three Ibanezes I've bought second-hand (the Talman and two old RGs) came with this exact type of case. Secondly, I've seen same exact cases that do have the Ibanez logo on them. I've no clue as to why some have the logo and some do not, though.

Anyhow, that case fits the Talman nicely. I'm not sure of the exact model name/number for the case, but some people refer to them as chainsaw cases, and they pop up in evilBay every now and then. Directly linking to sales ads is frowned upon here, but if you search Google for "Ibanez chainsaw case", among the first results there should be a Craigslist ad in Minneapolis, and the pic shows a similar case that does have the Ibanez logo on it.

Hope that helps at least a bit.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-25-2011, 01:53 AM

This is a shot in the dark, but when I was working in a music store, I had a lot of luck with Coffin cases when trying to find a case that fit an oddly-shaped guitar. Good luck!
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-25-2011, 03:48 AM
Banned

Reviews: 98

Try Cottam Guitars--the banner at the top of the page in the vendor ads--also in the UK...

Tags
case. , hard case , hardcase , ibanez , talman

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode