IBANEZ TB100 head & 4x12 Cabs - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-02-2004, 03:20 PM Thread Starter
TPV

IBANEZ TB100 head & 4x12 Cabs

I get the feeling that on harmony-central.com most people seem to give almost every product a high rating, so I would like to hear from some real jem players - "What do you think about this amp?!"

Note: I have taken particular interest in this model because of the affordable price (not like mesa?!).

Cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-02-2004, 04:41 PM

it's not a tube amp. sounds pretty decent, but you can tell it's solid-state distortion.

~A
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-02-2004, 11:44 PM

The TB100R was voiced to sound almost as if Mesa made a solid-state amp. The key to dialing in a really solid, thick tone lies in the active EQ section. If you plug in and don't get a real good sound right away, don't get frustrated, take some time and tweak the knobs. If you are looking for a modern, brutal heavy distortion tone, you may be suprised. Nothing in the price range comes close.

You may also want to consider the 2x12 combo with an extension cab. The closed-back combo seemed to add a bit more punch than just the head and a 4x12.

Check out the interview with Rob Balducci (Jemsite home page). Rob gave some input on the amp, and was very pleased with the results. He owns an Ibanez amp, and recommends them to his students as well.

I hope this helps. I was pleased with the one I played. Take the time to play. Only you know for sure.

Cheers,
Butch
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-03-2004, 02:38 AM

I bought the TB50R 50 watt 1x12 combo last year. I was in the market for an inexpensive practice amp that could double as a backup stage amp in case my Carvin X100-B ever took a crap at a gig. I tested the TB against other solid state 30-50 watt combos in the $250 US price range. I listened to Crate, Behringer, Marshall, Vox, Fender, Peavey, Kustom and H&K.

The Ibanez beat the others hands down when comparing the sound of the on-board distortion channels. The distortion ranges from a nasty crunch to full blown heavy metal. Butch is right on the money when comparing the voicing of the distortion to a solid state Mesa.
The clean channel produces a nice tone as well. There is a gain control on the clean channel that adds a nice bluesy kick to simulate the feel of a vintage Fender being pushed.

Only one amp had all of the following features I was looking for. Some had a few, while others only had 1 or 2:
- $250 maximum price tag.
- preference for at least 50 watts - some manufacturers didn't come close to 50 watts until you hit the $400 mark.
- 2 channels - Footswitchable, clean & dirty.
- 12" speaker - Since this amp was going to double as a backup gig rig, I was looking for at least a 1x12. Most of the other brands in this range only offer a 1x10. Behringer, Kustom and H&K had a 12". The Ibanez was the only one with a closed back.
- Effects loop
- External speaker jack - Needed to drive my 2x12 stage rig on the fly.
- Headphone jack
- Reverb

As a bonus, the TB also has a boost circuit that gives a nice kick for solos when you engage the INCLUDED footswitch or push the boost button on the front panel.

If I'd had $350 to play with, I could have gotten a 100 watt 2x12 combo w/ closed back. Behringer was the only other brand to come close in the 100 watt category. The other brands started at $500.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-03-2004, 03:05 AM
Ice

$$

It's much like the old Marshall valvestates that actually sounded good and where affordable accept these are easier yet on the pocket. Still no substitute for tube though if you have the money.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-03-2004, 09:28 AM
eg

I used to have a TB50R. I didn't really like it cos' I felt the cleans did not had any sparkle in it, not bright and jangly enough for me. The distortion channel meanwhile was just too buzzy, it could provide a huge amount of distortion but I guess it was just not tight and defined enough and it lacks the roar that one looks for.

The reverb was just ok but I felt it could be a little more deep.

I traded in that amp few months back and got myself a Marshall MG series instead. Bright cleans, roaring distortion channel, digital fx and reverb and master volume control.

I'm not sure what are your opinions but it could be just personal preference. Perhaps you guys have different experiences with that amp ie. different pedals, pickups, guitars. Somehow I didnt really like the tone that I was getting from that amp.

Cheers.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-26-2010, 03:16 PM

Re: IBANEZ TB100 head & 4x12 Cabs

I have the TB100 head and cab combo that I've played for about 7 years now. I've played on other amps, Marshall Valvestate, MG and a JCM2000. Obviously, the JCM2000 blows the Ibanez out of the water, but for the price that the Ibanez amp is, it kicks ass. I play an Ibanez Talman with a Seymour Duncan JB in the bridge position and a Seymour Duncan Alnico II in the neck position. All things considered, I love this amp. It's got its drawbacks, but it's served me well for many years. It's got the mid scoop pop-out knob that is cool. I always have it pulled out, but turned up about 65%. It just pulls the mid range down a bit so it doesn't have such a fuzzy cheap box sound. The best part of the amp is the clean with crunch. The only thing I've never really liked on the amp is the reverb. It just sounds kind of cheap. I also have one of those little combo amps, the TB225 stereo amp. It's got an awesome clean, clean crunch and I love the chorus, but man, the distortion just blows! So don't compare the little combo amp to the half-stack. They've got immensely different distortions, surprisingly enough. Right now though, I'm in the market to buy a JCM900 Marshall amp, but find myself nostalgic to get rid of this amp! I have beaten the absolute crap out of it, dropped the cab from my truck, tossed the head around, and it still works like the day I bought it. The trick to a good tone out of this head isn't to crank up the gain. It just washes itself out. At loud volumes, with the gain at only about 40% and the presence at about the same, it sounds great. I play punk rock and 90s rock in bands, but I've always used this amp for all sorts of styles. It's a fun blues amp and if you've got the right guitar, you can get a really cool funky texas blues sound out of it too. Don't expect to just plug into this amp and suddenly get an awesome tone out of it. It takes a while to get it dialed in, but once you find it's sweet spot, you should be satisfied. I've recorded a whole album with it too. You can hear the album at myspace dot com slash kingweaselmusic . Overall, I would stand by this amp, and even though playing with guys on stage that all have top end gear and here I am with this $400 Ibanez starter amp, I always feel confident in the Ibanez to hold its own. If you can't get a good tone out of this amp, it's most likely your guitar. Not to say the guitar isn't good, but one thing I have learned about this amp is some guitars just don't push this amp where it needs to go. I have an Ibanez Joe Satriani JS1200 with the stock DiMarzio pickups and it just never sounds good to me. If you're thinking about buying this amp, go for it. Afterall, it isn't a huge sum of money anyway. It's a great club/bar amp.

Tags
extension cab , heavy metal , marshall valvestate , practice amp , rob balducci , tube amp

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode