Ibanez TS9 tubescreamer ???????? - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-13-2003, 03:03 AM Thread Starter

Ibanez TS9 tubescreamer ????????

Does anyone own a tubescreamer TS9 by ibanez.

Apparently vai and satch used it and its a great little pedal.
What does everyone think about it?

And what do you think about the comments made about the ones that were made in Japan are the only ones to get (older model)?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-13-2003, 05:27 AM

Diamond vintage gear. Can really drive a valve amp, but only when put through the lead channel. It sound's flat and uninspiring through a clean valve amp...
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-13-2003, 07:46 AM

I use a TS9-DX (same basic specs as the TS9 but with 3 additional boosted modes). I think it's a killer pedal for solos--it can generate a significant amount of boost, and doesn't add too much color to the tone. I've had excellent luck using the TS9's with the lead channels on my amp. I rarely use it with the clean channel--it's a little gritty for my tastes, but I could probably dial it down a bit to something more subtle.

I used to use DS1's in both of my rigs, but I thought they colored the tone a little too much. Now I use TS9DX's in both rigs. I run mine with level, gain, and tone all set at 1:00. Of course, it will respond differently in front of dfferent amps--I use 'em with a Mesa Nomad 45 and Mesa Mark IV.

--Brent
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-13-2003, 09:22 AM

get one now!
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-13-2003, 02:03 PM
rgr

I would personally save some cash and get a Boss SD-1, I prefer it because it doesn't have as much of a midrange hump as the TS9 and you can get it for about half the price. Pushing a hot amp it's the PAW tone.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-13-2003, 02:12 PM

I also have a TS9DX Turbo Tube Screamer, modded to 808. I use it for adding more distortion to a distortion channel, but I use the "+" mode which has more low end & output. I find the regular TS9 mode thins out rhythm playing, is good for leads though. I should probably have two of these things. Mine was made in Japan, the older ones are sought after because of certain chips that were used. But you can buy new ones and have them modded to the old chips.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-13-2003, 02:25 PM

I've got a TS9DX, a reissue TS9 modded to TS-808 specs, an original TS-9 and a couple of TS-808s. I've gotta say, NONE of them come close the tone of the TS-808s (not even the 808 modded TS9). They're all great overdrive pedals, but the TS-808s just have some kind of special mojo to them I guess. I've been using the TS-808s in front of my Rivera TBR-1SL rack setup to add a couple of extra "channels", and absolutely LOVE the tones I'm getting. The only drawback is having to lug around a couple of $400+ pedals to gigs. If I could find something that sounded as good, I'd scoop them up right away! (Hint to Roger... )
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-13-2003, 03:55 PM
rgr

Working on it bro, give me a month to get things rolling. Employment is very shaky right now so I've got to get some stuff rolling quick. I may give you a shout, I want to talk to some guys that are out playing about what they want to see, I have some really cool ideas!

Roger
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-13-2003, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaijem777
I've got a TS9DX, a reissue TS9 modded to TS-808 specs, an original TS-9 and a couple of TS-808s. I've gotta say, NONE of them come close the tone of the TS-808s (not even the 808 modded TS9). They're all great overdrive pedals, but the TS-808s just have some kind of special mojo to them I guess. I've been using the TS-808s in front of my Rivera TBR-1SL rack setup to add a couple of extra "channels", and absolutely LOVE the tones I'm getting. The only drawback is having to lug around a couple of $400+ pedals to gigs. If I could find something that sounded as good, I'd scoop them up right away! (Hint to Roger... )
How do you get them modded?
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-13-2003, 04:00 PM

I got mine modded from www.analogman.com. I just sent it in and requested that the pedal be modded to TS-808 specs. A couple of chips and capacitors is all it takes. Of course, now I'm dying to try out a Keeley-modded TS9! I may actually send the TS-808 modded one to him and have him work his magic on it. The 808 mod definitely sounds "warmer" than the stock TS9, but...it's not quite up to snuff with the original 808s.

Roger- give me a call/e-mail anytime! I'd definitely love to chat with you about some of your ideas.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-13-2003, 10:04 PM
Banned

I've got an early 80's one that I love. I use it mainly for semi-clean tones and for light distortion on lighter songs. I really like the pedal, but the amp needs to be a tube amp and it needs to be loud for me to get what I want out of it.
I've also been using it in the studio for lead tones on slow songs when I don't want my usual heavy gain lead sound.
It also works great to compress my live lead tones just a little for solos. I usually set the gain really low and kick it in for solos (it does add a lot of noise in this use, but seems to compress the sound nicely).
It's not a pedal I couldn't live w/o, but it's nice to have when you need something a little different.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-14-2003, 09:07 AM

i got the tubescreamer because i like what it does to my tone- boosting the drive. i bought the re-issue TS-9 & the tone-lok version TS7. both work fine & the TS7 has a 'HOT' switch for even more drive...

i'm against buying a product just because a pro uses one. but if you wish to emulate someone else's tone simply because you like what you hear- go for it! chances are, you'll even discover your own signature tone along the way...

Tags
clean tone , mesa mark , mesa nomad , overdrive pedal , rack setup , rivera tbr , tube amp

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode