Ideas for my rig... - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-17-2003, 08:14 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 30
Ideas for my rig...

Hey guys, I finally got my Mesa 4x12 for my Triple Rec. head. Now all I need is a decent tone to top it off (being as I only use a wah with the Mesa distortion). I play a UV777BK, RG7, Les Paul and soon an Explorer. Anybody have any suggestions? The type of tones I'm shooting for on this are as follows...

Ch. 1-Clean, warm bottom end with nice "bite" on the top end. Maybe with a delay or echo too.

Ch. 2-Smooth, bluesy tone ala Slash around the time of the Use Your Illusions albums.

Ch. 3-Heavy, but distinct (Metallica type crunch) with fat bottom end, and for leads on this channel, something to boost up the solos to the Kirk Hammet type of tone (Master of Puppets, Ride the Lightning).

I'm not trying to immitate these people, but try to use these sounds as a starting point and progress further to my unique sound (which seems to take quite some time). Any ideas of some rack units etc. which could help me get where I need to be? Are there "must have" things that can help my sound? Someone suggested a BBE Sonic Maximizer. This any good? Anything else? Help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-17-2003, 09:02 PM

Are you looking for a new head or you want ideas on effects units to go with your triple rectifier? Me confuzzed.

If you aren't happy with the basic stripped down tone of your current set up, all the processors in the world aren't going to make you happy. As far as pedals and stuff goes, I'm all for simplicity. I'd rather have a few choice pedals that a rack full of stuff (I've had that and it drove me crazy).
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-17-2003, 09:24 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 30
No, I'm pretty happy with the amp,.I was just looking for a good effect (or several) which could add character to the sounds of the amp stripped down to basic guitar-amp setup. Would a compressor add any warmth and articulation to the sound?
post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-17-2003, 09:32 PM

Stay away from the sonic maximizer,bbe thing. Get you'rself a nice eq.
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-17-2003, 11:08 PM

I agree that you should stay away from the BBE. Weren't these things made for mixing and mastering use? I have a feeling BBE wasn't selling enough of them so they started marketing them towards guitar players

Of course, I have no proof to back this up. I just think the idea is amusing.
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-18-2003, 01:24 AM

Well, you're not going to get a very "Slash"-esq tone out of a Mesa; they're sort of polar opposites. The other two you ought to have no trouble dialing up, though. Clean sound on the, well, clean , lead sound on the slightly darker channel 2, and rhythm on three.

Then, for Slash-like tones, look for a distortion with a "marshall"-like tone- maybe one of the marshall pedals- just a hunch. That ought to give you a pretty good array right there.

-Drew
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-18-2003, 07:59 AM

If you are looking for good rack effects, check out Eventide and T.C. Electronic. They don't seem to color the original guitar signal as much as the lower end fx do.
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-18-2003, 10:40 AM

The BBE is used to add clarity to a signal by slightly delaying frequencies at different times(microseconds). This aligns the harmonics and fundamentals to "add clarity". This is good to fix a muffled sounding signal.

You're using a triple rectifier, so you don't really need a BBE. The BBE is more of a mixing unit. But give it a try anyway, you might like the uniqueness of the sound. I know a lot of people who use pods poweramps speaker cabinets use the BBE is clear up the sound and make it work better.
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-18-2003, 10:56 AM

You could probably put a tubescreamer right behind your wah pedal to boost your lead tones in channel three. For your channel 1 clean sound you run some delay unit through the amps fx loop, and assign the fx loop to channel 1. Maybe you could add a chorus to the fx loop too.
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-18-2003, 11:50 AM

and always remember: the less you add, the more you get.
post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-18-2003, 04:34 PM

If you're a minimalist Some people get more by adding more to a rig. It's all about the individual.
post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-19-2003, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuno
and always remember: the less you add, the more you get.
If that were true we'd all be playing 1-string guitars into small 10 watt one channel amps.

Now THATS a rig!!!
post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-19-2003, 04:01 PM

Theres a difference between "minimalist" and "neanderthol"!

Many people (like me) love the sound of a decent guitar, decent lead, and a decent amp. You can keep your racks (and hernias to go with them ), thankyouverymuch!
post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-19-2003, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarkatana
If you're a minimalist Some people get more by adding more to a rig. It's all about the individual.
Or the rig- some amps sound fine with processors, some sound better raw. Same goes for pickups.
post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-19-2003, 07:31 PM

Its not the 80s anymore but even these days Id say someone with a guitar, wah, OD pedal, amp, and one FX processor is a minimalist. You ever check out the riggs over at guitargeek.com. Then Again I know guys that prefer just a channel switching amp, a chord and a guitar.

I agree that your best bet from your description is a TS9 to kick up your solo's a notch and a decent delay pedal since thats the only effect you mentioned. Maybe a Boss DD-3. If you want more time based FX, like phaser, chorus, etc.., you may wanna look into a single decent processor rather then have a tone of pedals. Its easier to deal with live. Thats more or less the only reason Id use a DSP.

Can you assign FX loops on a Triple Recto to individual channels? That would be very helpfull if you only want a Delay on your clean channel.

Tags
bbe sonic , bbe sonic maximizer , delay pedal , distortion pedal , dual rectifier , eventide eclipse , guitar players , kirk hammet , les paul , sonic maximizer , speaker cab , string guitars , triple rectifier , triple recto , wah pedal

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Similar Searches

People searched for this, also searched for these:

ideas on how to deal with problem neighbours

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode