Ideas for a new guitar? - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-31-2012, 05:30 PM Thread Starter

Ideas for a new guitar?

I'll keep it simple.

I have about 600 ($950) and need a new guitar

Ive been playing a GRG270b up until now and would like a vastly improved guitar

Any suggestions?

I play most types of rock and also some blues.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-31-2012, 06:09 PM

Reviews: 13
Re: Ideas for a new guitar?

What type of guitars would you be interested in? Ibanez, Fender, Gibson?

If you a ibanez guy, id reccomend a second hand prestige or something like that.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-31-2012, 09:33 PM

If you want to get an Ibanez, look out for used Prestiges or old 550s.
I myself am saving up for a Epiphone Annihilation V. Costs 498 here and is very cool. The quality is supposed to be awesome. I tried an Epiphone Korina V not long ago and the quality was great. Afterwards I tried a Gibson standard V. I would take the Epiphone. The Gibson was just not as good. Well, my .02 cents. You should go to a local store, test different brands in different price ranges and see which brand has the best bang fo the buck in your price range. Then you can look for different models from said brand and maybe find something that fits.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-01-2012, 01:39 AM

Hmm, $950 could fetch a sweet prestige with flamed maple top, faux binding and a Lo Pro. That's what I'd be after. That or a mint RG565EG.

Last edited by axel_f; 08-01-2012 at 01:56 AM.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-01-2012, 11:57 AM Thread Starter

Well I am leaning towards Ibanez more so than any other make. I'm just not schooled enough on which Ibanez guitars to go for and which to steer clear of.

Also I'd rather buy a new guitar than used simply because I'd prefer to just go to the store and pick it up.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-01-2012, 12:16 PM

Used will stretch your money a LOT farther than new.

Everyone needs a RG550. That said, I've got a Charvel San Dimas reissue that I've been digging the hell out of lately, and they fall solidly in your price range - quite a bit less, used. Heck, with a bit of searching you could probably score a used Charvel AND a 550 for $950.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-01-2012, 12:21 PM Thread Starter

I found a used RG2570Z for about 650
This is slightly over budget for me but is is a good enough guitar to warrant that price?
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-01-2012, 12:25 PM

+1 for used. Something like a Prestige is likely to be a case queen anyway, maybe need a setup, but even the new ones do most of the time. Check them out on evilbay, always a nice few there when I look. Still some really nice 500 / 700 series in great shape out there, those are top notch but you cold buy 2 with $950. Better yet, a 550 and a nice tube amp, that'll vastly improve things!
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-01-2012, 12:30 PM Thread Starter

Yeah I'm looking at getting a Vox VT30 for about 150 and there are a couple RG550s for about 400 or so each

I reckon I'll go with 500 / 700 series guitar then.

Tags
grg , guitar , ideas

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode